Nissan's Included L1 (120v) EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is just a mechanical lock. I *assumed* that the unit would stop charging as soon as it loses the pilot signal or ground contact. Looking at the charging socket on the Leaf, you can see that 2 of the pins are much shorter than the heavier, 240 VAC pins, so they will lose contact first as you withdraw the plug. That in turn will cause the contacter to drop out, so there won't be any arcing.

keydiver said:
I think that is just a mechanical lock. I *assumed* that the unit would stop charging as soon as it loses the pilot signal or ground contact. Looking at the charging socket on the Leaf, you can see that 2 of the pins are much shorter than the heavier, 240 VAC pins, so they will lose contact first as you withdraw the plug. That in turn will cause the contacter to drop out, so there won't be any arcing.

Interesting. There's only a split second for the contactor to open to avoid arcing. I wonder if somebody computed the acceleration of the nozzle as it is being unplugged to determine if, given the velocity it would have at the point when the signal pin loses contact if there is enough time for the contactor to open before enough of the 240v pins lose contact to create an arc.

Some have said that the LEAF's charger stops drawing current when the nozzle's Release button is pressed.

I have not checked this myself.

If it is true, the LEAF should have better feedback to the user.

I agree the button does not seem to stop the charging.
This goes for all evse equipment I have used including Nissan, Blink, Chargepoint & Schneider.

I think it is best the way it is. I don't want charging interruped by a random touch of the button.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I thought the contactor in the EVSE was supposed to open when you pressed the release button on the nozzle to avoid arcing at the nozzle. This morning my charging hadn't quite finished getting back to the 80% level (but close enough for my needs today) so I thought I would check this. But when I held down the release button on the nozzle the light on top of the dash kept right on flashing.
No, the EVSE contacts don't open. The charger in the car stops drawing current almost instantly to prevent arcing when you unplug, but the EVSE doesn't stop until you unplug. We've verified that with current meters. If you release the button instead of unplugging the charger then starts back up again, all without actually stopping the EVSE.

smkettner said:
I agree the button does not seem to stop the charging.
This goes for all evse equipment I have used including Nissan, Blink, Chargepoint & Schneider.

I think it is best the way it is. I don't want charging interruped by a random touch of the button.

Yes, those times when I walk up during charging and randomly push the button and walk away. I do this at least several times a week. Charging is going in the AM, I set my random timer on my phone and when it goes off I run to the car and touch the button on the handle and go back inside. If that stopped the charging it would be really inconvenient and I would need to add time to my schedule for those random button presses. I now find my hand has developed "muscle memory" and craves the random button push even when my alarm is not set. Thanks Nissan, you got this feature right! Now, if I can only refrain from pulling the charge release handle while on the freeway and compulsively scrubbing the interior fabric at stop lights.

Press the button, charging stops, regardless of what the lights say. The EVSE stops drawing current, except for the very small device current. Release the button, charging resumes after a short delay. Verified with clamp meter on EVSE input.

Bill

ebill, I suppose that is proof that charging stops. So why do the dash charging lights continue to blink as if it was charging?
I would expect the charge lights to stop. One more thing not operating as expected :roll:

Sure there are small details that could be improved.

However, for a first model year of a really different vehicle, Nissan managed to get all the systems to work together quite well.

I am amazed that so many relatively complex systems actually perform very well.

Good Job, Nissan!

smkettner said:
ebill, I suppose that is proof that charging stops. So why do the dash charging lights continue to blink as if it was charging?
I would expect the charge lights to stop. One more thing not operating as expected :roll:
Maybe the dash charging lights only indicate permanent stops due to disconnect or charging full. But for momentary/temporary stops like when the lock button is pressed, it doesn't qualify as a permanent stop because the J1772 is still connected and charging is not full yet.

The effect of the button on the charging cord handle does seem disappointing, and mildly disturbing, but I gather that the behavior (like so many objectionable things in life) is mandated by a standard that doesn't seem to be (IMHO) very well thought out?

I notice that when I disconnect the charging cord of my Blink station, I don't hear the contactor drop out until I actually disconnect the cord. That means there is live mains potential on the cord's conductors at the time of detachment and for some brief time (system response time and contactor drop-out time) thereafter. It would be better if the EVSE dropped the contactor out in addition to advising the charger to stop drawing current

Seriously why is this even an issue. You plug the car in and it charges, you unplug it and it stops. This has worked for me on EVs for about seven years and a silly button has no impact since I don't sit there pushing it or worrying about it. Far too much concern over non-issues. It is easy to tell when the car is charging.

Ingineer said:
The contactor doesn't open, however the LEAF detects the button press and immediately stops consuming power. No power consumption = No Arc.

-Phil
Yes, but I was looking at it more from a shock-hazard perspective. The risk is vanishingly small, I grant you.

Levenkay said:
Yes, but I was looking at it more from a shock-hazard perspective. The risk is vanishingly small, I grant you.
There is no shock hazard, as you cannot get to the AC power contacts unless you remove the connector, and as soon as you do, the pilot signal acknowledgment is lost and the contactor then immediately opens. There are several reasons why it was done this way, if you are more curious, I suggest you peruse the J1772 spec.

-Phil

I love the Level 1 Nissan EVSE. I've been using it for a week now since my L2 EVSE is out of commission.

Does the L1 trickle charger extend the life of the battery?

Maybe I just missed reading this in this post, but WHY doesn't nissan make these 240/120v capable in the first place? Especially so many are upgrading. Makes plenty of sense. I go visit a friend, I pull out my included EVSE and plug it into his dryer or water heater socket, or I just parallel, 2 120v sockets? So much more versatility, and I am sure it would not cost Nissan a few bucks to do it.

Back