Nissan's Andy Palmer on dirty power - "complete bullsh*t"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to believe in evolution, but recently experts on The History Channel have convinced me that instead Ancient Aliens came to earth and created us by modifying the genes of our ape ancestors.

But, if we were created by Ancient Aliens rather than by evolution, who or what created the Ancient Aliens who created us? And if the Ancient Aliens evolved from ... something, why is it so unlikely that we evolved as well?

klapauzius said:
Herm said:
According to this poll, only 40% "believe" in evolution (which you dont have to, its an established fact and as such does not require belief).

Yodrak said:
But, if we were created by Ancient Aliens rather than by evolution, who or what created the Ancient Aliens who created us?

Twice as ancient aliens!!! :D
Didnt you read David Brins "uplift" series? ;)

TickTock said:
Caracalover said:
http://wot.motortrend.com/nissan-exec-calls-dirty-electric-car-claims-bull-142883.html

Motor Trend also reported this, my comment there reads:

How much electricity is used to refine a gallon of gasoline? Answer: a lot.
Semantics maybe, but some would call you out on that. Change "electricity" to "total energy" since the actual electricity is in the 1kWh range while the total energy is closer to 7.5kWh.

This number is highly debated (a few times here) and the answer varies depending on what you include. LPG and hydrogen, for example, is used extensively. If you include all energy used for the gasoline production, EV drivers can go further on the energy used to produce a gallon of gasoline than most ICEs can go on that same gallon (assuming you convert that production energy to electricity and give it to us :))

Here is a study on the energy used:
Argonne paper
Wow, I started a whole lot of bullshit on this thread. LOL

I have read the other threads on the difference, but as a consumer, I don't care. Repeat it enough that people understand it. I am justified in saying it takes a lot of electricity to refine a gallon of gasoline. A lot could be 1 kw, or 1000, it doesn't matter. If you talk energy use, you lose the attention of most people.

The other required electricity use surrounding the gasoline chain is extensive. Just the lights used inside the oil refinery/storage facilities could charge a lot of EVs, so add that to the list. You might try to say that the electric power plant has lights too, but those have to be factored in for the oil companies to use the electricity as well, so you can't charge it to the EV if you don't also charge it to the gasoline. Electricity is required for both, so the coal mining costs to both as well. Coal fired plants were not built to fuel EVs, but a lot of solar panels are in production now because of them. Anyone that thinks otherwise is spreading more BS than the ground can accept, and is using it to kill the sprouted plant rather than feed it.

So to quote Andy - "Bullshit"

Back