NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeafingLA said:
The entire auto industry is fertile ground for some engineer to figure out a modular device that allows cellular customers to split/share their cellular service between two or more devices.
It's called a cell-phone with WiFi tethering. Also often comes in a screen-less package called WiFi hotspot.

If all cars allowed WiFi to connect in addition to cellular service, most of these issues would not be significant. Perhaps one issue is that your typical consumer cell-phone / WiFi hotspot isn't designed to weather temperatures seen inside a parked car on a hot-summer day.

Been trying to connect, no luck, but not 48 hours yet. Tried all the tricks mentioned above. Interestingly, for the first time since I've had a Leaf, went to find car totally dead. 12 volt dead. Pack was at 80% last night. Could be constantly trying to connect? Luckily, I have this week off. Charging the 12 v now, and I'll go from there.

OK, recharged 12 volt and resent my ID and password, authenticating account again. Tried an update with the iPhone app while I'm in front of the car. Heard the relays clicking and get a charge status in record time, maybe 30 seconds.

Hopefully my 12 volt isn't junk now, but it's still under warranty.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Seems I've lost my avg m/kWh and avg speed on the dash. That sucks.

Also can't reset the clock. Guess it has to get a time signal? No way to set hours and minutes.

These things have nothing to do with the TCM (or modem update...which is what you are implying). You are thinking about the GPS clock (in the center console); the dash clock is free-running.
They do sound like things that might happen with a bum 12v battery.

Absolutely, 12 v related. But never had 12 v issues before, so yeah, could be caused by it trying to connect with new TCU and killing the 12 v. I should have been more patient and resent the verification info after 48 hours, THEN tried the iPhone app.

Despite my local Nissan dealer having my car for 2 weeks for this upgrade, I successfully logged in with the new owners connect pin about 12 hours upon receipt of vehicle. It didn't connect right away.

(Will be looking for a new dealer going forward)

I had my free hardware Telematics upgrade completed on my 2015 Leaf today. I needed to call EV hot line to get the carwings pin(user) and password for the tech to be able to unregister the old device and register the new hardware.

The carwings user and password is not the same as when you log into the owners site.

Other than that it went smooth.

My update is now complete. More things to know:
- Time from pre-order/payment and part delivery was 8 days over Xmas.
- the Leaf tech wanted to know my user ID and password. It sounded great, but was useless since it takes 24 hours for AT&T to recognize your modem. The tech actually only did a test to verify a signal. I called the NissanConnect support (number is on web page) and they allayed my concerns when center would not accept my user ID/password.
- after 24 hours, I used the user ID and password that is on the NissanConnect portal (not the combo used to access the portal). It has a link that gives the info to you.
- after send the ID, it will take 20 seconds or so, then you see authenticating. You will then get a message stating you are now registered.
- a number of info feeds that I used to use no longer appear on the menu. The screen had 2 pages full of options. Now only 4 appear.
- I verified with charging station updates, eco tree, and energy economy. I also verified that the app on phone still worked. It did return data I sent before going to the shop so it is still accessing my old history. I had a concern I would start at Day 0. Not so.

For me it was worth $199. Update was more of a hassle than need be, but I don't know it is anyone's fault. My guess is that most dealerships treat it as a recall and expect to be spoon fed. It is not a government mandated recall so the infrastructure did not support it the same way. The info is there, but techs have to ask. If your delearship does one, I expect the performance will improve on the next ones. If you are the first, you are laying the path for your fellow Leaf users.

mjblazin said:
My update is now complete. More things to know:
- Time from pre-order/payment and part delivery was 8 days over Xmas.
- the Leaf tech wanted to know my user ID and password. It sounded great, but was useless since it takes 24 hours for AT&T to recognize your modem. The tech actually only did a test to verify a signal. I called the NissanConnect support (number is on web page) and they allayed my concerns when center would not accept my user ID/password.
- after 24 hours, I used the user ID and password that is on the NissanConnect portal (not the combo used to access the portal). It has a link that gives the info to you.
- after send the ID, it will take 20 seconds or so, then you see authenticating. You will then get a message stating you are now registered.
- a number of info feeds that I used to use no longer appear on the menu. The screen had 2 pages full of options. Now only 4 appear.
- I verified with charging station updates, eco tree, and energy economy. I also verified that the app on phone still worked. It did return data I sent before going to the shop so it is still accessing my old history. I had a concern I would start at Day 0. Not so.

For me it was worth $199. Update was more of a hassle than need be, but I don't know it is anyone's fault. My guess is that most dealerships treat it as a recall and expect to be spoon fed. It is not a government mandated recall so the infrastructure did not support it the same way. The info is there, but techs have to ask. If your delearship does one, I expect the performance will improve on the next ones. If you are the first, you are laying the path for your fellow Leaf users.

Thank You, that's a great summary.

Still waiting for my part to come in.

mjblazin said:

That's a fact: I know my dealer is "blasting 'em out" now that they've done a couple. Noticed you live in Dallas: where did you get yours done (I use McKinney Nissan)?

I don't suppose you use LeafDD? It sounds like the upgrade may kind of break LeafDD, well it's ability to instantaneously update things anyway :( Just wondering if you've noticed any changes like that? If not LeafDD do you use LeafSpy and any changes in that?

2013 SL. TCU upgrade completed 2016.12.28 evening time. Waited almost 72 hrs and attempted to sign-in from the vehicle using the NissanConnect EV PIN / PW from the Nissan Owner's Portal (not the login info...but in "Edit Vehicle" section).

Vehicle unable to connect. Tried 4 times and keeps failing. Anything I am doing wrong? Signal strength showing 2 bars inside vehicle.

I had the TCU upgrade on Thursday (Dec 29th) by Boulder Nissan, on my 2015 Leaf SV purchased in October 2014. As I left, they told me I would need to wait 24 hours before I could log back in (on the "Carwings Settings" page). I guess there is some kind of activation that needs to happen through Nissan.

I still can't login this morning, about 48 hours later. I just called the service department and they said it could take 48 hours or longer.

Just thought I'd let others know what they can expect... or maybe something's wrong in my case.

I'll post again when it's working, or if I have to do something else (call Nissan, go back to the dealer, etc).

Jeff

jdcbomb said:
2013 SL. TCU upgrade completed 2016.12.28 evening time. Waited almost 72 hrs and attempted to sign-in from the vehicle using the NissanConnect EV PIN / PW from the Nissan Owner's Portal (not the login info...but in "Edit Vehicle" section).

Vehicle unable to connect. Tried 4 times and keeps failing. Anything I am doing wrong? Signal strength showing 2 bars inside vehicle.

Update: Service team at dealer informed me there is some kind of technical issue / outage affecting all "new" "just registered" TCU units attempting to communicate with the server. Next update not until Monday.

jdcbomb said:
Update: Service team at dealer informed me there is some kind of technical issue / outage affecting all "new" "just registered" TCU units attempting to communicate with the server. Next update not until Monday.

I think that's another way of saying "all the data entry folks are off for New Year's" ;)
I had a feeling that was the case when a lot of these folks were off on Friday as well.

"Climate control on failed

Your request to start climate control for Leaf failed. There was a problem detected communicating with the vehicle. Please try your request again. Also ensure your vehicle is located in an area with cellular reception and it has been driven within the last 14 days"

Goodbye, remote access.

Back