NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garsh said:
JPWhite said:
Think about it for a second.
You can pay $210 and install it yourself.

or

Pay $199 at its installed for you.
Which is the better deal?
Irrelevant to my point. Nissan calls this a "co-pay", giving the impression that this is some very expensive part, and we are being asked for just a small co-pay, like the $10-$20 you pay for your $500 doctor visit. And it turns out to be the total cost of the hardware.

It would have been more honest for Nissan to tell us that we're paying for the hardware, and they would cover installation labor costs.

A 50:50 copay isn't disingenuous, that's about what we have here if you add the hardware and labor costs up.

I'm going to just try going without it for awhile to see if I really need it. I'm hoping that Nissan will drop the price for those of us that hold out...lol. ;)

nitzmahone said:
Just got my 2013 back today after the TCU upgrade. My dealer (Carr Nissan in Beaverton, OR) said mine was the first they'd done. The app and website had stopped connecting to the car after they'd done the swap (timing out at first, then saying I needed to register). The dealer said they'd registered the new TCU to the VIN, but that there might be something else I needed to do to get it working again. I got it going by navigating to Menu->Carwings->Carwings Settings->Sign In, and hitting "Send ID and Password". After that, everything lit up and started working again- all my historical data was saved.

Hope this saves someone else the trouble!

-Matt
This worked for me as well - had to wait 36 hours after the installation, though.

I heard that if upgrade is not done charge timer in car and 80% and 100% charge selection in car will be disabled. This cant be true can it?

downeykp said:
I heard that if upgrade is not done charge timer in car and 80% and 100% charge selection in car will be disabled. This cant be true can it?
Doesn't make sense. That would mean every time the 2G network was either down or out of range functions would be disabled. That doesn't happen, sounds like more FUD.

Just got notice that my modem is in, so the "6-8 weeks" lead-time originally quoted was obviously BS (took about 2 weeks).
Going in Wednesday to get the upgrade done, and not a moment too soon: I'm pretty sure AT&T shut down the 2G network in my area late last week (haven't been able to communicate with my car for several days...it just times out).

So does the 2013+ cars use a 3g system that is still active? I'm confused if this effects my car or not. I have yet to try Carwings.

I have an extended warranty on my 2013 that has a $100 deductible. Will my copay only be $100 or do I pay the full $199?

Birdrider said:
So does the 2013+ cars use a 3g system that is still active? I'm confused if this effects my car or not. I have yet to try Carwings.
If you haven't yet tried Carwings, then regardless of whether it affects your car or not, it doesn't affect you.

reeler said:
I have an extended warranty on my 2013 that has a $100 deductible. Will my copay only be $100 or do I pay the full $199?
I would really doubt it. This isn't a warranty item, but rather an "upgrade" or as Nissan calls it, a "customer satisfaction initiative". I suspect the terms of your warranty covers things that are broken. Technically speaking, the 2G unit is not broken, it just has nothing to communicate with on the other end.
But feel free to inquire with your warranty provider to make sure. You wouldn't want to leave $99 on the table.

Interestingly enough, when my upgrade was preformed, the car remembered all my signin info (username/password). I did have to actually Sign In again from the vehicle, but the fields were all filled out.

However, the settings for sending "unplugged" messages and "charging started/completed" text messages were all turned off, so I had to re-enable those.

After a good week of trying, I finally got a service advisor to confirm mine is 2G, here's what he wrote:

Good afternoon. You are all set it is confirmed that you definitely have a 2G TCU in it. They came out with another procedure on Saturday with more of an accurate procedure in order to determine if its a 2G or a 3G. People are right the old bulletin/procedure to look and see which one was which was not clear enough but the new procedure is more clear. So I will get this order processed and we will give you a call when it comes in!

lpickup said:
However, the settings for sending "unplugged" messages and "charging started/completed" text messages were all turned off, so I had to re-enable those.
Just noticed mine were turned off as well. I only pay attention to them when I have a need and have the message alert turned off for carwings texts most of the time. However I was looking last night and saw that while climate control texts have been coming thru, the charging ones haven't since 12/6 when the upgrade was done.
Online and they were all turned on, but in the car at menu/carwings/carwings settings/charging messages they were off.
It seems that the in car permissions allow the info to be sent to Nissan's server and the online ones generate the texts/emails that are pushed out to my phone.

Made an appointment at Downtown LA Nissan to "evaluate" my 2G TCU and order a replacement part. Arrived there this morning to learn they had a compatible 3G unit in stock so they installed it. I was activated and out of there in 90 minutes. No return trip needed. Bravo!

-Michael (early 2011 LEAF SL)

Took my car in for it's annual battery check today and was able to show them my letter from Nissan so they said they are going to get the part ordered and will call me when it's in so they can install it.
When I called to setup my appt, I didn't have my letter yet, and they said they were waiting for notification from Nissan before they would start scheduling.. Got my letter the next day... ;-)

It is tricky timing, because I am looking forward to the next gen. But my schedule is really next April or so.. That's the rest of this winter and all of the next one... And I use pre-heat a lot.. ;-)

Hopefully it will go as smooth as some of the others here..

desiv

Made an appointment with Downtown LA Nissan via the web. They had one in stock (thanks, previous poster :) )
and installed it in 3 hours, no charge (still under original warranty!). Unfortunately they did not activate it.

When I got home, I realized I'd been running with someone else's account (I bought the Leaf used).
So I signed up online (had to call in and upload a copy of my title),
put in the new pin and password, and... "Connection to center failed."

electricvehiclewiki.com/Electronics says "it appears that Nissan shares some data with Carwings prior to delivery, and something in that information block needed to be updated". So, I guess I take the car back and have them activate it.

LittleChap said:
Made an appointment at Downtown LA Nissan to "evaluate" my 2G TCU and order a replacement part. Arrived there this morning to learn they had a compatible 3G unit in stock so they installed it. I was activated and out of there in 90 minutes. No return trip needed. Bravo!

-Michael (early 2011 LEAF SL)

Lucky you! Dropped mine off this AM and it's still there. Notified them last week and was willing to pay up-front
so the TCU would be there when my Leaf arrived. Like they would have had excess inventory (< $100)
for a potential no-show, even if I had not offered to pay in advance. Besides the install, the work order
indicated a tire check and an all around inspection. I was just there a few weeks ago for a rotation &
inspection.

Hello good Leaf folks,
Well I sprung for the TCU G3 upgrade today. Only took a couple of hours, so far so good. When I got back to work however I realized it would not connect to the network. Geez, really? I'll have to look into it more tomorrow.

$200 & 2 hours.

On Edit: 48 hours later the phone app displayed a screen stating "service not available at this time" which was an improvement over no response at all. After a little futzing around with it not recognizing my password the account finally activated and we are back online.
Yay! Remote heater activation again.

Back