Nissan, what will a Carwings subscription cost in 2014?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Like many early owners, my LEAF ownership experience will be coming up on 3 years in early January. I've really enjoyed the car (bought it, not leased), and am planning on keeping for a long while to come...

My understanding is that our Carwings subscription will convert to some sort of pay model at the 3 year mark....Is that still true?

Nissan, is there any word on what will happen to Carwings as we come up to the 3 year mark?

Thanks...

I asked about this Saturday night and mentioned that the 3 year point would be coming up in December for the first US customers. I didn't get a price :) but they are aware of the date.

Unless it is dirt cheap, I plan to pass...

jhm614 said:
I asked about this Saturday night and mentioned that the 3 year point would be coming up in December for the first US customers. I didn't get a price :) but they are aware of the date.

I've am leaning toward not using it at all... Free or otherwise. MIght miss the LEAF app on the phone, but not much.
TomT said:
Unless it is dirt cheap, I plan to pass...

jhm614 said:

Randy said:
Nissan, is there any word on what will happen to Carwings as we come up to the 3 year mark?
What did your dealer say when you called them?

If there's a specific Nissan person you're hoping to attract, why not use PM? :p

If it's a monthly subscription, I may just take it during the winter months, when I need cabin pre-conditioning, and drop it for spring through fall. But it would still have to be cheap or I'm simply going to run out the the car and turn the heat on.

I no longer have any interest in the very inaccurate mileage/power consumption graphs, or the stupid trees, but I use Google Maps a lot to transmit destinations to the Leaf from home. I believe it requires Carwings to retrieve them in the car. For my geocaching I need to transmit coordinates, not street names. There is no way to enter coordinates in the car. Even if I pick the nearest intersection or address, the nav in the car is not reliable about recognizing them during programming. There are threads on that in this forum. Using Google Maps I can send 5 or 10 locations to the car in seconds from my desk, and name them in ways that are convenient to me (e.g. the name or a description, like "bank" rather than the lengthy address) but programming them in the car, if it was possible at all, would probably take 10 minutes or more. That's the only reason I can think of to keep Carwings active. I'll have to weigh the cost and benefits if and when Nissan decides to go to a paid model. I turn on the heater remotely on cold mornings sometimes, but I don't think that requires Carwings. You just click View Status on the Nissan owner's page, then turn on the heat. Launch Carwings is a link at the bottom of that page.

I'l pay $5 a year tops. Sorry Nissan charging for this in a junk telematics system is salt in the wounds, this service should be free regardless.

Rat said:
... I turn on the heater remotely on cold mornings sometimes, but I don't think that requires Carwings. You just click View Status on the Nissan owner's page, then turn on the heat. Launch Carwings is a link at the bottom of that page.
I appear to be mistaken about this. Even though the Launch Carwings link does not have to be clicked to start the remote climate control, the manual clearly says you need to have a Carwings account to use this feature. I don't know if it's possible to start the climate control manually from inside the car while the car itself is turned off, i.e. to do manually what Carwings does remotely.

Rat said:
I don't know if it's possible to start the climate control manually from inside the car while the car itself is turned off, i.e. to do manually what Carwings does remotely.

I don't think you can. You'd have to set the climate timer to approximate what Carwings does. Or turn the car on (or at least into full accessory mode) to run the heater.

Rat said:
I appear to be mistaken about this. Even though the Launch Carwings link does not have to be clicked to start the remote climate control, the manual clearly says you need to have a Carwings account to use this feature. I don't know if it's possible to start the climate control manually from inside the car while the car itself is turned off, i.e. to do manually what Carwings does remotely.
Carwings uses the cell phone network (AT&T I think). No Carwings, no communication needed to turn on the heater remotely.

If you know when you are going to leave the simple way to preheat the car is to program one of the Climate Control timers. Otherwise I believe that you have to turn the car on to turn the heater on, which would work ok. If you want it to preheat with the car off (and no Carwings) just use the CC timer.

Edit: In experimenting with my car and looking at the manual, I think the climate control timers only work when the car is plugged-in, unlike remote activation via Carwings. If so, that means turning the car on would be the only option to preheat it in the absence of Carwings.

BUMMER! I like turning on the a/c remotely. Who need navigation with a 80 mile range? I've lived in the same county all my life.

I use a 3G connection for the house alarm and that costs $8 a month. I got it because it was half the price of a phone line.

I'll get the CW if it's $5 or less a month. At $10 a month I'll delete the App and won't miss anything. My garage is heated and if I have to I'll put the Leaf in there in the Winter.

Back