Nissan shutting out third-party apps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nissan LEAF via Facebook said:
Maintaining the privacy of our customers’ data is a priority for Nissan. In an effort to ensure the security of customer data and to protect the functionality of the CARWINGS system, we evaluated the option of blocking third-party app access.

Based on initial customer feedback, we understand how important this connectivity is to LEAF drivers, and we will delay taking this action while we further study other potential solutions and explore ways to keep customer data secure.

We're back online, folks.

z0ner said:
Maintaining the privacy of our customers’ data is a priority for Nissan. In an effort to ensure the security of customer data and to protect the functionality of the CARWINGS system, we evaluated the option of blocking third-party app access.

Based on initial customer feedback, we understand how important this connectivity is to LEAF drivers, and we will delay taking this action while we further study other potential solutions and explore ways to keep customer data secure.

HEY! They listened!!!

Can't complain at the speed of response.

Thanks for listening Nissan.

Z0ner copied this from the FB page earlier, but we wanted to confirm here that we are postponing any action to block 3rd party apps until we study further. The official message:

"Maintaining the privacy of our customers’ data is a priority for Nissan. In an effort to ensure the security of customer data and to protect the functionality of the CARWINGS system, we evaluated the option of blocking third-party app access. Based on initial customer feedback, we understand how important this connectivity is to LEAF drivers, and we will delay taking this action while we further study other potential solutions and explore ways to help our customers keep their data secure."

Thank you for all of your continued feedback and discussion on the forum.

No one answered my post. Other than a few random outages, was there actually anything that stopped working for more than a couple hours?
I haven't had any problems.

Mx5racer said:
Nissan, Thank you for listening

+1

3468.jpg

BBrockman said:
Z0ner copied this from the FB page earlier, but we wanted to confirm here that we are postponing any action to block 3rd party apps until we study further. The official message:

"Maintaining the privacy of our customers’ data is a priority for Nissan. In an effort to ensure the security of customer data and to protect the functionality of the CARWINGS system, we evaluated the option of blocking third-party app access. Based on initial customer feedback, we understand how important this connectivity is to LEAF drivers, and we will delay taking this action while we further study other potential solutions and explore ways to help our customers keep their data secure."

Thank you for all of your continued feedback and discussion on the forum.

Thanks for taking quick action and also for giving us an update.

JPWhite said:
Maybe they are getting to be as fast and responsive as their own EV product :)
Snap decisions and then slow on the follow through? I'd say they're there ;)

z0ner said:

This is exactly the text that they sent me after I replied to their e-mail telling them how stupid they were to cut off thrid-party access...

If anyone cares, here is the e-mail thread:
Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to personally contact us about your Nissan LEAF. We appreciate hearing from you.

Maintaining the privacy of our customers’ data is a priority for Nissan. In an effort to ensure the security of customer data and to protect the functionality of the CARWINGS system, we evaluated the option of blocking third-party app access. Based on initial customer feedback, we understand how important this connectivity is to LEAF drivers, and we will delay taking this action while we further study other potential solutions and explore ways to keep customer data secure.

For Windows cell phone users, we are exploring this possibility along with other trends in the mobile device market to ensure we are meeting consumer demand on multiple platforms, but we do not have any time frame at this point.

For your convenience, we can be reached:
-By return email.
-Through our website at http://www.NissanUSA.com/leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-By phone at 877-664-2738.

We’re here to serve you from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (EST) Monday through Friday.

Nissan North America, Inc.
One Nissan Way
Franklin, TN 37067
Phone: +1 877-664-2738

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 7/17/2013 4:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Nissan LEAF [ ref:_00DA09j8L._500F0GHcUG:ref ]

Regina,

Did you read my e-mail before you sent me this canned response? Your response does not answer any of the points I brought up. I did not even expect any reply though, so getting any response is good...

I've had my LEAF for more than 2 years and have 35,000 miles on it. Happy miles. And my early adoption triggered several of my neighbors to get EVs (but not LEAFs). It triggered two Teslas and one Volt, and interest in the Ford FocusEV. ALL of these vehicles take a different approach to telematics that Nissan does. I didn't have the option to buy a Tesla two years ago, and I was only interested in pure EVs then. But today there are lots of choices, and I really doubt that I would buy another LEAF.

I've used the Nissan CarWings app for over 2 years (for as long as I've had the car) and you've updated it, I believe, once... That's sad to me. The app is so poor, and the CarWings system is so sluggish, that it has spawned several others to create apps that are, in many ways, superior to the Nissan app. Now that you are killing their access and citing "security issues" (which sounds completely bogus), without spending any effort on updating either the app or the CarWings back end just indicates to me that Nissan is not really interested in this market.

Your marketing information is in conflict with what you are doing.

John O
(408) ***-****

I'm glad they reversed the decision. I also sent a protest email and received both responses. I had also started to 'Decline' sharing my information with Nissan on the start up sequence.

Cinnabar said:
I'm glad they reversed the decision. I also sent a protest email and received both responses. I had also started to 'Decline' sharing my information with Nissan on the start up sequence.
That's a really good idea. If I was forced to use the Nissan android app, carwings would be pretty useless to me. Might as well turn it off completely.

Nissan, if you are so worried about "privacy" then why did I just get a spam to an email address that I've only given you?

BTW, this is not an uncommon occurrence.

Here's a list of just some of the companies and sites that I have had spam sent to the address I gave them and only them....so in other words they have had email addresses harvested from them or they intentionally released email addresses to spammers. Again, this is just a few I collected looking through my current spam folder of 3000+ emails. "Online privacy" is an oxymoron. Guess I'll add Nissan to the list. To be fair, it could be Nissan, it could be Blink.

Equifax, yes the guys we trust with our most important information.
newegg!!!
Sportys Pilot Shop
Sony
Civil Air Patrol
Custom Computer Services
Westco Surplus
moonlight tech
D&H Distributing
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
Anytime Fitness

Websites:
ScriptBuddy