Nissan Owners Java Flash Success

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

Most internet peep's know how badly flash works on many of the smart phone devices currently available. It really sucks butt ... that is unless you're running iphone's app. Anyway, I don't know how lucky others have been, but I finally got our windows mobile based smart phone to run Nissan's Java rich syncing web page. Woo hoo ! !
WinMoSync.jpg

It was easier loading an android ROM onto my htc to force the web page to run, than getting winmo to function. So there you go.

Not sure which page you are talking about but the owners portal at https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/vehicles doesn't use java or flash. It's all javascript which should work on any modern browser.

I'm not sure what you're talking about too - so were on equal footing :D
Your 1st sentence states the owners portal doesn't use Java or flash, but the next sentence states it's ALL Java. That's definitely using Java, if it's all Java. In any event, no ... there are many many mobile browsers that fail miserably ... not being designed to run the latest flash version (10 - I believe) properly. Why else would the iPhone need a separate app, if the page ran directly through its mobile browser? Same with android. In fact an android app was just completed too:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/nissan-leaf/com.aqsmartphone.android.nissan.
Still nothing for winmo 6.x through 7 browsers. I note that the latest Android (3?) browser on our tablet DOES run the Nissan owners page directly/no app necessary. I'd LOVE to dump winmo, unfortunately, some of our programs we have to use, require it. But with the tweek we just got on the windows mobile browser - we're good to go.

Despite the similar names, Java and JavaScript are two completely different things (often confused by consumers though). The carwings site uses flash, but the basic summary page on the owners portal is all HTML and JavaScript and should work on any full featured browser.

What Geek said...

I'm not disputing that not all mobile browsers will properly display the site, simply clarifying that it wasn't due to java or flash. My Palm Pre continually got redirected to nissan's mobile site, which essentially kept me from even getting to the owners portal page.

That's why I made the portal proxy.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3326&start=20

The owner's portal was working perfectly fine on my Google G1 phone until 2 days ago.

Now it redirects after a message saying Flash failed.

Why the hell would Nissan change the portal for LESS access for their owners?

VikeKen said:
The owner's portal was working perfectly fine on my Google G1 phone until 2 days ago.

Now it redirects after a message saying Flash failed.

Why the hell would Nissan change the portal for LESS access for their owners?
Sounds like you blundered into the non-mobile site. The only way to get back to the mobile site is to clear your cookies...but at this point the new LEAF app is better.

Valdemar said:
Anyone knows the direct URL for the mobile site?
There doesn't seem to be one. You are either served up one or the other, depending on your browser. There's a link on the mobile site to try the full site, but no way to get back without clearing cookies.

davewill said:
Valdemar said:
Anyone knows the direct URL for the mobile site?
There doesn't seem to be one. You are either served up one or the other, depending on your browser. There's a link on the mobile site to try the full site, but no way to get back without clearing cookies.

That's not typical but possible I guess, usually sites redirect clients with a new URL. Can you access mobile page properties in your browser and see the URL? I only get the normal page on my phone, while the browser allows me to access all features it is like a 1Mb download every time I open it which is less than ideal.

I have confirmed with customer support there is no direct URL for accessing the mobile version which is unfortunate. One hack that works is to modify the user-agent string your mobile browser sends to their web-site (may not be possible depending on the browser). I'm running a variant of Firefox on my phone and able to spoof my browser by sending UA as "Apple-iPhone3C1/801.306" - this sends me back the mobile version. Not ideal as this cannot be changed on a per-site basis.

Back