Nissan owner survey

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmarilloLeaf

I found this question interesting:

"Advanced Charging Units and Energy Management Systems

The follow section ask some questions regarding potential future charging systems and household energy management systems. These are concepts which are presently in development or have limited availability. As an early LEAF owner, we are particularly interested in your opinions on each of these items.

Inductive Charging System

An inductive charging system would not require the vehicle to be connected directly to a power cord to be recharged. The vehicle instead would need to be parked directly over a plate which would be installed in the floor of the garage or typical charging location.

Charging would then occur via the magnetic inductance method. This would move charge wirelessly between the plate mounted on the floor and a similar (but smaller) plate which would need to be added to your LEAF. The plate on the floor would resemble a typical parking block and the dimensions would be approximately 4 inches high, 30 inches deep and 6 feet wide, There would also be an associated wall control unit. A picture of the inductive charging system is shown below.
"

It was a thorough survey, I just finished it. Lots of good questions, and I think (hope!) I gave them some very constructive feedback....

Agreed! Just one question bugged me:
Does your car have:
1. Quick Charge
2. Cold Weather Package
3. I don't know

We'll I don't have either 1 or 2 and I do know that I don't have them, but I had to answer , would not let me continue. I answered all three as yes :roll:

Survey took me a Looooong time. Good opportunity to enter any comments, recommendations and complaints that I wanted to sent to Nissan. Rest assured, they'll get a screen full.

Just finished it myself. Did anyone else notice the picture of the 120V EVSE had the 120/240 EVSE modification twist lock plug on it? :lol:

I also took the survey. I told them in detail about the Good (Greg Leach era at Rairdon) and the Bad (Post Greg era). I also said that other than a darker interior, I love everything about the LEAF, including the range which is consistently exceeding my expectation (85-95 mile per charge with 60% highway at 65 mph). I like their potential future options and explained that I do not need a range extender engine. I would like to see a 250-300 mile range when I replace my battery in 8-10 years. At that point the LEAFs would be the only vehicles I would need. (I would rent gas guzzlers for long distance travel).

RickS said:
Just finished it myself. Did anyone else notice the picture of the 120V EVSE had the 120/240 EVSE modification twist lock plug on it? :lol:
I haven't taken it yet. I'll have to watch for that. Too funny if true...

Very interesting inductive charging block idea...

Floor charging block dimensions would be approximately 4 inches high, 30 inches deep and 6 feet wide.
14parking-blocks-250x250.jpg

So Nissan thinks a parking block like this one could be used to charge the
the car with inductive current? Tho the 30 inches deep comment sounds a bit concerning.

I think its a GREAT IDEA!

signed,
RikiTiki

It does sound very convenient, but the question in the survey said it would cost an additional 50 cents in losses for every full charge. In addition to the "Receiver" that would need to be installed on the bottom of the car (at several hundred $$$). It doesn't seem worth it just to get that charging functionality...I'll stick to the J1772 plug-in.....

hobbyguy said:
Does your car have:
1. Quick Charge
2. Cold Weather Package
3. I don't know

We'll I don't have either 1 or 2 and I do know that I don't have them, but I had to answer , would not let me continue. I answered all three as yes :roll:
This is what I hate about surveys! 90% of them have something like this. If you refuse to lie it will not let you submit the survey! Most surveys are constructed by morons.

hobbyguy said:
Does your car have:
1. Quick Charge
2. Cold Weather Package
3. I don't know

I had the same dilemma. I checked off 'I don't know' .

Does ANYBODY have a cold weather package?

Sometimes they will include questions to indicate if you are really reading the questions or not, to see if your responses are valid.

In this case though, the question was a FAIL.

It's also going to create one whoop-ass strong magnetic field at that power level. I think plugging in is just fine, personally.

RikiTiki said:
Very interesting inductive charging block idea...

Floor charging block dimensions would be approximately 4 inches high, 30 inches deep and 6 feet wide.
14parking-blocks-250x250.jpg

So Nissan thinks a parking block like this one could be used to charge the
the car with inductive current? Tho the 30 inches deep comment sounds a bit concerning.

mogur said:
It's also going to create one whoop-ass strong magnetic field at that power level.
It is high frequency. Very low magnetic field that is much less than both US and European standards, based on information from presentations on UT Chattanooga inductive charging research for use on buses.
It has a lot of effective efficient application on buses.
But I'm not sure how much it will be in demand by vehicle consumers.
But has been a bit surprising how rapidly it has been adapted for cell phone / music player charging, so is hard to predict vehicle consumer demand / interest.

Inductive Charging Cons:
1. Cannot charge everywhere
2. Unlikely to Quick Charge
3. It is an Expensive solution
4. It is a Lossy, inefficient solution
5. Easily blocked by other vehicles
6. Difficult in Snow Country
7. Too little Parking-Position Flexibility

Unless it is designed in from the start, I don't see it taking off (and it would have to be universal across all such-equipped EVs). It is like the add-on wireless charging pads for cell phones and the like that require you to attach a receiver to the back of the device. If I am going to have to do that, I'd much rather just plug it in.

TimLee said:
But I'm not sure how much it will be in demand by vehicle consumers.
But has been a bit surprising how rapidly it has been adapted for cell phone / music player charging, so is hard to predict vehicle consumer demand / interest.

daniel said:
This is what I hate about surveys! 90% of them have something like this. If you refuse to lie it will not let you submit the survey! Most surveys are constructed by morons.
Yeah, like the new auto satisfaction survey I got from JD Power about the LEAF. How many cylinders? Um, none. Average MPG? n/a. Transmission type? n/a. Of course, those weren't options... :lol:

Back