Nissan leaf 2013 comply with European Standard (lights)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadyamit

Hi,
I'm going to be in Orlando Florida for 18 months and want to buy Nissan Leaf. Now after 18 months I would like to go with my car to Israel.

The issue is that I have NO idea if the new 2013 Nissan Leaf comply with the European lights standards.
Thanks
Gady

The basic answer is no. None of the Leafs sold in the US and Canada were ever equipped with a rear fog light. The 2013 US/Canadian models do not come with the turn signal repeaters on the fenders that the 2011/2012 models do. You may also have to disable the side marker lights, in particular the front, as amber lighting is not allowed to stay continuously on in some countries.

Thanks,
I was told that maybe if I order now the 2013 model will come from Japan with the "right" lights for Europe.
But this is obviously disappointing news to me.
Gady

gadyamit said:
Thanks, I was told that maybe if I order now the 2013 model will come from Japan with the "right" lights for Europe.

The US and Canadian 2013 models come from a factory in Tennessee specifically for the North American market. 2013 EU models will come from Sunderland, UK. I don't know where Leafs intended for the Middle East will come from, assuming Nissan even intends to sell them there.

BTW if you have not done so, read up on the heat-related battery degradation issues for the Leaf. In short, Leafs operated in regions of the US known for hot summers (Arizona, Texas, even Southern California) have experienced battery capacity loss. A Leaf may not be the best choice for an EV in Israel.

For your Florida stay, you may be better off purchasing a used Leaf (a 2011 model can be had for less than $20k) and then selling it when you leave, and purchasing a more appropriate EV for Israel, one with a better battery temperature management system.

I'm still dreaming about quick shift to pure EV in Israel and the world.
Israel is considered to be leading in this field; But Better Place did some serious damage i.e. the idea of paying GAS-PRICE for cheap electricity is socking. Price of Gas in Israel is twice as much compare to the US, so electric should go right? But better place has and still try to sale electric car with Gas price per mile. As I said serious damage done by them… I wrote a Hebrew blog about that (http://www.go4ev.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Bottom line we still don't have real pure EV except better-place and I'm trying to find a solution.
Gady

If you still want to buy a Leaf in the US for export to Israel, I suggest buying a used 2012 or 2011 model. These are Japanese-made so they are closest in spec to what you are looking for, though you will still need to make modifications. Used Leafs from the US apparently are popular in Norway but they still need to be modified to make them legal to drive there.

2011/2012 models will also be much, much cheaper not just because they are used, but also you will not be eligible for the $7500 Federal tax credit on a new one if you are not paying at least that much in US income taxes.

Then again you may want to rethink the hassle of buying a LEAF and transporting it to Israel where the temps are hot like Arizona... think battery degradation

Hay,
Sound like I need to learn all about battery degradation (actually this is my brother expertise...)
Bottom line the If warm weather is the main issue for EV all types will have the same problem. Which bring me back to lights and European comply.

This is still NOT GOOD news in my case. :(
Gad

gadyamit said:
Bottom line the If warm weather is the main issue for EV all types will have the same problem.

Actually, no. It affects the Leaf in particular because Nissan decided to not implement any sort of active cooling for the batteries. Many other EV's have active cooling for their batteries.

You guys are forgetting one thing: the commutes in Israel are much shorter than here (around 200 miles from top to bottom...if you don't go all the way down to Eilat). He can probably tolerate the same level of degradation I've seen here in Texas...which isn't too bad if you take some basic precautions (like don't charge while it's baking in the sun).

I remember reading something a while back (can't find it now, of course) that basically said Better Place had lobbied the Israeli government to make it illegal to charge an EV from the Israeli grid, unless using a Better Place-supplied Level 2 EVSE. So, my understanding is, even if you managed to import a Leaf into Israel, managed to modify the car to be legal, and dealt with the issue of heat degradation, you couldn't legally the charge the car at your home in Israel.

After visiting Israel a few years ago, I always thought it was the most perfect place for EVs. It's small, it's warm, its residents don't typically drive across borders, and it's hated by almost all of its oil-rich neighbors. It's sad that Better Place may have set the EV revolution back years for Israel.

:D That is funny and sad...
No we lucky enough to be able to charge from your own home or any place (lobby didn't work that far...) we pay about 15 cents per KWH. which is about the same like in the US BUT Gas Price in Israel are twice so yes if you know the numbers it is perfect place for EV and short distance are a serious factor too.

But the all country feel sick from the idea that better place did try to sale electricity in a compatible price to gas price per mile... People here think that owning EV in Israel means better place method which mean no real saving

This is why I wrote the blog and also this is why I want to bring "different type of EV to Israel soon...

You are so right about the lobbing power of better place and (very powerful owners). We have to fight that... I feel I must show that we can drive for less, and while doing that we can drive in a cleaner nicer place and help reduce dependency on oil.
:)

Stanton said:
You guys are forgetting one thing: the commutes in Israel are much shorter than here (around 200 miles from top to bottom...if you don't go all the way down to Eilat). He can probably tolerate the same level of degradation I've seen here in Texas...which isn't too bad if you take some basic precautions (like don't charge while it's baking in the sun).

I was only pointing out the issues the OP needs to be aware of, especially since he was of the mistaken belief that all BEVs will suffer the same rate of battery degradation.

I still stand by my statement that the Leaf is probably not the best choice for an EV in Israel's climate. No different than mentioning same to a new member in Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Houston coming to the forum and wondering if a Leaf would work for them.

But if the OP is willing to deal with all of the obstacles he will likely encounter (importation, modifying it to comply with local regulations, inevitable battery degradation), then more power (no pun intended) to him.

Back