Nissan Is Watching You — EV Charge Points Tracked and Shared

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdmondLeaf said:
IMHO there is desperate need to have accurate inventory of public chargers from one source and Nissan is best suited to deliver that.
I'm curious as to why you say that. Maybe you're talking about Nissan being in the best position to deliver charging station locations in a convenient place (i.e. the car's NAV screen), but in practically every other respect, I don't agree with this statement at all.

1) From the first time I saw the LEAF at a drive event in early 2010 I could tell immediately that IT was not Nissan's strong suit. The sample iPhone app they showed was pretty basic (and let's face it, 2 years later it still is pretty basic!) But at least I knew going into it that that was going to be the case. Not that I'm not interested in snazzy GUI's and such, but if it was that important to me I would've waited for the FFE.

2) Other than charging stations located at Nissan dealers, Nissan themselves is not suited to manage an inventory of all public charging stations. Nor would I really want them to be. Managing the inventory of charging stations should certainly be manufacturer neutral.

Now Nissan's deal with Chargepoint is a good example of what I mean. Chargepoint manages the inventory, and Nissan grabs the data and presents it to the driver in-car. But I don't see it as Nissan's position to manage the database. And even Mark Perry agreed with that during the web chat when he answered my question (actually he misunderstood my question) stating that Nissan can't keep up with all the other apps and maps out there.

Stanton said:
This is basically why I "delisted" myself from PlugShare recently as well: I wasn't willing to give someone access to my house/garage, so why should I advertise as such?
At first--when there was no ChargePoint or Blink--PlugShare was a neat way to seek out (early) EV adopters. Now, it just becomes a security risk (even when your contact info isn't visible, they can find you via GPS) and I'm not sure it has much of a future.
I just used the closest cross streets instead of my actual home location in PlugShare.

lpickup said:
EdmondLeaf said:
IMHO there is desperate need to have accurate inventory of public chargers from one source and Nissan is best suited to deliver that.
I'm curious as to why you say that.

Finding somewhere to plug in an electric car can be a little difficult. Nissan has a solution to this potential problem. Leaf drivers know where to plug in their cars, so Nissan is just asking them.
Nissan’s new service, which went online April 23rd, monitors approximately 13,000 Leafs (in Japan) and records exactly where the cars are plugged in. The data is then sorted and put online for other Leaf drivers to access.

recargo, charge point, plugshare, and who know how many more databases. It will be nice to have accurate list of all chargers on your nav screen. Nissan have all the data where people charge

TNleaf said:
EdmondLeaf said:
CWO4Mann said:
Does this mean that they know when I am getting charged up at Deja-Vue in Nashville's Titty-Bar Strip?
For sure they know, but that is the information I need too. How many chargers they have there?

Haha, having met Dave, I think he's talking about a different kind of "charged-up." And I'm pretty sure the Deja-Vu in Nashville doesn't have EVSEs... but if they do, maybe I need to take a trip with Dave next time!

\
:lol: Would you believe that the last time I ever went to a Titty Bar was in 1968 when I came back from Vietnam the first time and a bunch of us got off the shuttle bus from Travis AFB at what was then an Army fort at Fisherman's Wharf. There were a couple of Hari Khrisna girls who tried to sell us meditation books, but being GI's we just said, " ...hey! show us your boobs and we'll' still give you the five bucks ...". Then we went to a place in SF which was supposed to be very famous .. and it turned out to be a Transvestite Club. After a year in the bush there were some good looking women there, but being an old farm boy I figured if they quacked like a duck but didn't lay eggs, I would pass on it. Ah, but I digress and we are off-topic again! OMG! Call the Off-Topic Police! :roll:

EdmondLeaf said:
recargo, charge point, plugshare, and who know how many more databases.
at the last count we had close to ~150 globally... we keep a list here (that needs an update);

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openchargemap/forums/forum/1250135/topic/3889257

EdmondLeaf said:
It will be nice to have accurate list of all chargers on your nav screen. Nissan have all the data where people charge
the problem then is you lose all the data when you step into your second car (assuming it's not a Nissan)... IMO it would be much better if everyone supported a single open database like OCM and that all the apps, websites, and satnav's pulled their basic charging location, capabilities, and status from.

We need something like Wikipedia, except for charging stations. Personally, Recargo comes the closest however it takes a day or two to remove invalid entries since they don't allow public deletion.

Back