Nissan get your head out of your bottom

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nissanvirgin

Have been waiting for my Leaf and reading the Nissan apologists on this board, and finally had enough of both. Just want to say what I think should be obvious to anybody who has ever bought any large-ticket depreciable item before:

1. Not getting an item on time is not a no-cost matter to the customer. The customer has put off alternative purchases, maybe even sold an earlier car. In my case, I gave a car to relatives in March, and was counting on getting the Leaf in April, using Zipcar for the occasional need. I was okay with this for 1-2 months, but delivery date for my red Leaf is now July, so let's just be realistic and call it August, so I will have to manage car-less for 4 more months than intended. This is something the apologists choose to ignore.

2. Time is money because car values depreciate. I like to either buy at the beginning of the model year or get a big discount at the end of the model year. We all know a Jan Leaf and an Aug Leaf have the same resale value, but the Jan Leaf gives you 7 more months of utility, so the Jan Leaf is worth more. With the Leaf I will be paying MSRP in August. By August when I get my Leaf, other manufacturers will already be rolling out 2012 models. Heck the 2012 Leaf might be out in just 1-2 more months. That's why we all reserved at the first chance. We wanted a 2011 Leaf, and we wanted most of 2011 to use it. This is something the apologists choose to ignore.

3. Time is even more money in this case because of the $5000 CA tax credit expiring. This wouldn't be an issue if Nissan would just fill their orders in order, but they haven't been doing so. In my case I will lose out because the RAQ never came and by the time I realized it wasn't coming I had gone from maybe the top fourth of orders to the last fourth, because the vast majority of us had reserved around the same time and had gotten RAQ emails around the same time. Others might miss out on the $5000 credit by fewer than the number of people who reserved in late Jan-early Feb but got their cars already. For people who miss out on a tax credit due to Nissan's mistakes, Nissan should do something to compensate.

4. Some of us are locked in to the Leaf. Some of us have paid thousands to install chargers which may not work with other EVs, so the advice of apologists to just go elsewhere is not useful advice.

5. Nissan was screwing up even before the tragedy of the earthquake and tsunami. They never sent me my RAQ email. They lied to me that that wouldn't have an effect on my delivery date (it sure did). They lied to others about orders being placed out of line. One can imagine that CS may say things to appease the customers, but the situation was as it was only because HQ hired nincompoops to manage the order flow on the most important car launch in the company's history, and because HQ didn't choose to issue clear directions to CS once the problems became known. That HQ doesn't own up to their problems is bad enough. That they allow their employees, either implicitly or explicitly, to use the earthquake and tsunami to cover up their preexisting mistakes is truly reprehensible.

I do not like to be a complainer. I like to be a problem-solver. So I will suggest how Nissan could have addressed, and maybe could still address, the problem at the customer relations level. If you say you are going to deliver by a certain time, and don't, you owe your customer at least an explanation and a big apology. You might consider discounts to those who have been skipped over to make up for the loss of the CA car credit. You might consider cheap rental cars for those spending unexpected time without cars, even if your reservation agreement never promised specific dates. You might want to tell people when the 2012s will come out so they know whether to just skip 2011 and go to 2012. You might want to actually lower the price of late deliveries by a small amount as a token of apology. If you think your customer has no other choices and therefore don't want to assist them monetarily, that's your prerogative. You may be right that the customer will continue to wait, but you can be sure they will remember how they were treated and will be much more reluctant to buy anything else from you.

Somebody elsewhere said this demonstrates that Nissan's management is second-rate. I wholeheartedly agree. First-rate management would do something to placate its first customers for a high-profile launch product. Nissan management has done nothing, although by now it should know how much dissatisfaction there is among the reservation holders. (If it doesn't then it would be unbelievably incompetent as well.) It should want the early adopters, who will be visible to family, friends, co-workers, and media, to be enthusiastic ambassadors for the car. It should not want these people to reply to the question of "should I buy one" by saying, "consider any other EV first because I do not trust Nissan to get your order right, or fix problems quickly, or to not have overpromised on the warranty." Especially considering that by the time we get our cars and are asked this question, the Mitsubishi i and the Ford Focus EVs will be available for ordering.

I fully agree. I have my Leaf, and it is "doing the job."

BUT, I am not sure that I would ever put up with buying a Nissan product again after my own experience in the very early order and delivery stage.

I have Leaf VIN #320

Beautifully stated!

I hope someone over at Nissan Corporation gets the message and does something about this fiasco!

I am tired of the apologists also..... It's no longer about a terrific green car, but about the complete lack of sensitivity and honesty lauded on us poor suckers still waiting for the cars.

As stated in previous posts, I have been lied to and manipulated beyond belief!
And I have most of it in writing! So, yes, Nissan has made it virtually impossible for me to recommend to anyone.

Vin 1873. Still waiting
Dash. Still states 4/22
Res on first day. 4/20/2010
Promised "a few more days" more than once over the past 5 WEEKS!

I think any multinational company launching a substantial product with communication as poor as the fools at Aptera and and a product development group that has an ECO package applique that looks like a 1970'a spa needs to seriously wake up a look at what other companies are doing right. I think Nissan has a management and culture issue that needs serious change, I for one will never buy another Nissan product. Someone at Nissan needs a new position outside the company. I got my car on time and early and I still think they suck which is why this is my first and last Nissan. Somehow I think its someone in the US that is responsible for all this BS.

This whole experience has soured me on Nissan. I plan on selling my LEAF as soon as I get it and putting a down payment on a Tesla Sedan.

healy100 said:
This whole experience has soured me on Nissan. I plan on selling my LEAF as soon as I get it and putting a down payment on a Tesla Sedan.

You don't have to take it. Just cancel your order and buy your Tesla. Then leave the forum. I'm sure you won't be missed.

healy100 said:

Agreed, the order process sucks wind.

But at this point, if you want a fun EV, Nissan is the one. Selling it right away would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Hang in there. It's worth the wait.

If you still want the Tesla S, which at this point is vaporware with a maybe 2013 / 2014* availability, no problem. You'll have a good trade-in with your Leaf, and in the intervening 2-3 years you will have one of the best vehicles on the road.

(* yes, the S Signature Series may be available late 2012, and will also be a very cool car, if you have 80k to spend. )

healy100 said:
If you have made up your mind, why spend any more energy on the Leaf or this forum? Bashing Nissan isn't going to help you cool off. Cut your losses! I think the whole delivery fiasco is very annoying and Nissan has done a poor job in this area. However, I am glad to be hearing very few problems with the car itself once you get it. So, with my dashboard stuck at 4/22, I am going to wait for my Leaf.

nissanvirgin said:
Somebody elsewhere said this demonstrates that Nissan's management is second-rate. I wholeheartedly agree. First-rate management would do something to placate its first customers for a high-profile launch product. Nissan management has done nothing, although by now it should know how much dissatisfaction there is among the reservation holders. (If it doesn't then it would be unbelievably incompetent as well.)

Can you imagine a customer-focused company like Southwest Airlines or Nordstrom deciding to ignore a massive and inexplicable screw-up? Can you imagine them not trying to fix their error? Look at those Sony execs publicly apologizing and bowing in the wake of the PS3 network hacking issue. What do we get? Some guy at a PR company asking a board member for our "Top 5" (as if it was not readily apparent) and then not following through with official responses.

Nissan (or, more likely, Nissan USA) needs to let some execs go. For cause.

The Tesla S drivers are already pissed, and they aren't even in production!

The issue with Tesla is that they are fulfilling all the 300 mile battery cars first, then the 230 and 160 mile versions.

Some folks who have the 160 mile battery version on reservation are complaining.... Their tenor is amazingly similar to what we are seeing here.

"Reservation Numbers DON'T MEAN ANYTHING.
Mehdi | March 7, 2011 - 7:43pm
Niether does your loyalty to Tesla. Based on my conversation minutes ago with Tesla Customer Service ANYONE who will pay for a 230 mile battery pack, even if its next year, will get ahead of me in production number (I want the 160 mile pack). We are not talking signature series, we are talking Production series, it doesn't matter when you reserved.
Customer service specifically told me that eventhough they appreciate my loyalty for having reserved a year ago the reservation number are loose suggestions and holder will not receive their cars in order.
Whoever is willing to pay more will move up the line. That to me amounts to extortion, I will NOT pay more so people don't get in front of me.
At this point I will be canceling my reservation unless this policy is changed, reservations don't mean anything anyway."

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/reservation-numbers-dont-mean-anything
So sure, jump over to Tesla.

Have you ever been in a long line at the supermarket, and the line two aisles over looked like it was shorter? You move over, only to realize that that line isn't moving AT ALL ????

I think you're in that kind of situation right now....

The process sucks but it still takes nothing from the car.

Headline news!!

A delivery in august is still months before anyone else.

All this crying and whinning will be a distant memory in a year when nissan is pumping out 200,000. A year

I know this is easy for me to say because I have my car but like aug of last year.... there is no other car in Sight

Sometimes I feel either some of the people aren't used to being early adopters or it is just the general attitude of entitlement. After decade(s) of waiting someone finally comes along to make affordable mass market EVs and invest billions, and what do we see ? :shock:

I always thought Costco should have a paid express line:) The irony is that if you go into that line the people in the long lines go faster and those in the long lines are still in the same order:)

nissanvirgin said:
Have been waiting for my Leaf and reading the Nissan apologists on this board, and finally had enough of both. Just want to say what I think should be obvious to anybody who has ever bought any large-ticket depreciable item before:

I'm not sure who the apologists are, but a lot of what I read on the board is just pragmatism. It's not an excuse if it's true, it's just reality - like it or not.

1. Not getting an item on time is not a no-cost matter to the customer. The customer has put off alternative purchases, maybe even sold an earlier car. In my case, I gave a car to relatives in March, and was counting on getting the Leaf in April, using Zipcar for the occasional need. I was okay with this for 1-2 months, but delivery date for my red Leaf is now July, so let's just be realistic and call it August, so I will have to manage car-less for 4 more months than intended. This is something the apologists choose to ignore.

This is a situation you brought on yourself. I assume no one at Nissan USA recommended this to you. "Don't count your chickens before they are hatched" came way before cars.

2. Time is money because car values depreciate. I like to either buy at the beginning of the model year or get a big discount at the end of the model year. We all know a Jan Leaf and an Aug Leaf have the same resale value, but the Jan Leaf gives you 7 more months of utility, so the Jan Leaf is worth more. With the Leaf I will be paying MSRP in August. By August when I get my Leaf, other manufacturers will already be rolling out 2012 models. Heck the 2012 Leaf might be out in just 1-2 more months. That's why we all reserved at the first chance. We wanted a 2011 Leaf, and we wanted most of 2011 to use it. This is something the apologists choose to ignore.

I don't understand what you mean here, you're depreciating a car you don't have? If you're saying you wanted the car in January, that makes sense. We all wanted ours in December-January. They didn't have enough for the demand, and still don't, so a lot of people are having to wait.

4. Some of us are locked in to the Leaf. Some of us have paid thousands to install chargers which may not work with other EVs, so the advice of apologists to just go elsewhere is not useful advice.

Nissan sure pressured us to get the chargers. I wasn't positive I was going to buy a Leaf so I got the waiver and I'm using the L1 they gave me with the car. Once the charger situation shakes out I might get an L2, might not. This was always an option for everyone to take.

Nissanvirgin--you write well. you make some good points. but it just makes me think about priorities and what deserves my attention, outrage and focus.

Try getting healthcare if you are over 55 in the United States, take a pill or two for a chronic condition, and are not part of an employer group. Now there is something that will cause you some heartbreak.

An EV delivered late in the model year; not so much.
(yes, I have my car. it either makes me smug, as some here will certainly say, or gives me some perspective.)

Back