Nissan Dealer not honoring battery capacity warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nlspace said:
Seems like there needs to be an edit to the Title Subject of this thread, no need to throw dealers under the bus.

I didn't name the dealership. Why wouldn't I throw the dealer under the bus? I had to explain every bit to them. First the tech claimed the pack needs to go to 5 bars. Then they didn't understand capacity even after showing them the warranty book. The battery is still not here. Once I get a replacement I will update the thread.

I think the title is fine. It doesn't refer to all Nissan dealers, but to one, and that dealership clearly did not intend to honor the warranty, even if it meant lying.

4 weeks and there is no new battery. The dealer says there is no update from Nissan. Here is my conversation with the service tech:

Me: This is Mitrals with the 2016 leaf. I hope you had a good vacation. Do you know if there is any update from Nissan on the battery? I start going back to office next week and the car won't make a 65 mile round trip to downtown Chicago

Advisor: Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to know since it isn't going through us. But the customer affairs line should be able to tell you

Me: They said the dealer will be in touch with you since it is under warranty. They only step in for an out of warranty claim

Advisor: The only info I have from them is that they would going to notify you when it is shipped. Now since it is a back order it can be a few weeks or up to a few months

I called the consumer affairs and they said they closed the case I started with them cause this is under warranty. Another epic fail from the dealer.

SageBrush said:
^^

It was your choice to stick with this dealer.
Penny wise and pound foolish

According to nissan the battery will be shipped to n this dealer so that's why I didn't go to another one. I am waiting to hear back from consumer affairs and I will ask them if they can change to another dealer.

mitrals said:
SageBrush said:
^^

It was your choice to stick with this dealer.
Penny wise and pound foolish

According to nissan the battery will be shipped to n this dealer so that's why I didn't go to another one. I am waiting to hear back from consumer affairs and I will ask them if they can change to another dealer.

This sounds plausible. Dealerships generally don't know when stuff is arriving until they get a estimated delivery date. This could be anywhere from a few days to a few weeks beforehand.

Right now, shipping logistics is in the shitter all over the world. I transferred to a new location where I work and it has been an unmitigated disaster (for the company) and boon for me. Despite being only a mile from my old location, the process (which exists) to transfer employees from one location to another is monumental and comes from up high so we show up for orientation and launch and initial training which is supposed to last 2 half days, and we did the first half day and received the rest of the week off with pay.

Fast forward; its now been a month, the expected ramp up of Mid October is in SERIOUS trouble. We are shipping just over 5,000 items per shift (normal volume expected to be 50-60K) and we are THE largest HAZMAT facility in the entire worldwide network.

The reason; inability to plan and simply unknown shipping delays. We are getting notices anywhere from 48 hours before to 24 hours AFTER the delivery estimate of delays up to two months. Getting things out is almost as challenging but we do have our own in house transpo system that helps a ton but a lot of what we process can't fly so...

mitrals said:
It will be shipped to that dealer because you let that dealer process the warranty.
Back when you started this thread because the dealer refused to process the warranty, you had a choice to go to a different dealer. I and others suggested to you that you go to a different dealer because this dealer had proved itself incompetent.

You stayed with this dealer because you didn't want to pay the diagnostic fee again, and surprise !
it continues to be incompetent. If you are unlucky they will screw up the installation.

Now you are stuck

FWIW, I don't think Nissan keeps the dealership appraised with status reports about the battery until it ships. So in that the dealership gave you accurate information and I don't think any amount of nagging or talking about your personal circumstances is going make you any bit the wiser how it is progressing until the battery ships.

Good luck with the new battery when it is installed.

Reminds me of the problem I had with one dealer near me. I had a brake problem that they claimed was due the master cylinder and associated electronics. Estimated cost nearly $4k for parts and labor. Something did not seem right about that dealer's service department. Took the car to another dealer and they charged $20 less for diagnostic and found that an anti-lock part was defective. That told me that the part would be mostly covered by Nissan since the car was just out of warranty. Actual charge was just the cost of the diagnostic about $120. A lot better than $4K.

I then filed a complaint with my credit card company including paperwork to show what happened. As a result, the charge was removed and the first dealer got nothing for their dishonest estimate. It is a shame that dealer, which is only about 2 miles away, cannot be trusted.

@SageBrush: I agree it was a mistake on my part. I have been going to the dealer for over a decade with my other Nissans and they have generally been good. I was planning to get the car looked at by another dealer and these guys got their act together confirming the battery is under warranty.

I heard from Nissan consumer affairs and they are going to check whats going on and will call me back by tomorrow.

Heard back from Nissan and the battery is delivered to the dealer. Called the dealer and they said the leaf tech will be in on Tuesday and they will call me on Tuesday to schedule when to drop off the car! Its a full battery so I am hoping it is a 40kWH!!

Now time to fix the OCS and PTC heater!

The car dropped another bar today. I am at 7 bars with 59.6% soh. Can't wait to get the new battery. Hoping it is a 40kwh.

The manager at the dealership called asking me to come in asap for the "hybrid battery" replacement since Nissan gave them a hard time. Dropped the car today and they said I should have it back tomorrow.

I got my battery replaced by Nissan under capacity warranty on a 2016 SV. I am going to pick up the car today evening. They said the new battery is the same capacity as the old one and the part number is 295b0-4np6b. Does that make sense? I cant figure out if the battery is a 30KWH or 40KWH.

My car is ready to be picked up. The service advisor says that it will be the same capacity as the old battery and the part number is 295b0-4np6b. Knowing what I know, the service advisor does not know much. Does anyone know if this is a 40kwh battery. LOL the suspense is killing me. This part number shows up as compatible for 2013 to 2021 Nissan leafs on all nissan parts site.

mitrals said:
My car is ready to be picked up. The service advisor says that it will be the same capacity as the old battery and the part number is 295b0-4np6b. Knowing what I know, the service advisor does not know much. Does anyone know if this is a 40kwh battery. LOL the suspense is killing me. This part number shows up as compatible for 2013 to 2021 Nissan leafs on all nissan parts site.
If the part number shows as compatible with '18 or newer, it must be a 40 KWH battery.

mitrals said:

That part number is definitely a 40 kWh pack, see this TSB for confirmation:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171230-0001.pdf

alozzy said:
mitrals said:

That part number is definitely a 40 kWh pack, see this TSB for confirmation:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171230-0001.pdf

Sweet THANK YOU!!!

Back