Nissan DC Quick Charger Starting at $9,900

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricVehicle

It's here! Nissan DC Quick Charger. Starting at $9,900 !!
Nissan has launched the website for their low cost 50 kW DC Quick Charger!
More information to come!

http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
highlight.png

As I predicted:

$$$$$$$

Full Service Installation & Maintenance
Provided by AeroVironment. UL listed. Fast, safe installation by certified & licensed electricians. 24-hour customer support.**

TonyWilliams said:
As I predicted:

$$$$$$$

Provided by AeroVironment. UL listed. Fast, safe installation by certified & licensed electricians. 24-hour customer support.**
The Advanced model starts at $15,500 and the networking and access control are not available yet but will be in the future and are field upgradeable. So there's likely additional costs for those options.

When doing construction and installation work, it's always a good idea to get bids from a couple reputable companies! :) I assume the installation will be similar, or possibly less due to the smaller size and weight of this unit, to the installation costs for other units. So for a typical easy install, figure $10,000 to $15,000 if you pick the right contractors.

We can get some feedback in this thread for the installation costs from various vendors so people can male a choice that fits their needs.

Has anyone contacted them yet? Can you buy it without the installation, maintenance contracts, etc?

I'd be interested in what the final cost out the door for a self-installed unit. (if they will even sell it that way)

-Phil

bryan38401 said:
phil I have been in contact with av for 18 months now the will not even give me a price on an av let alone the nissan.I fear nissan made a big mistake but we will see.

As stated earlier, there is no way that AV will let this Sumitomo / Nissan product undercut their core business of selling grossly over priced, most government funded, high profit margin chargers. Blink has the same model. They get paid for SELLING these things. That's the income stream.

I predicted mandatory "installation" included last year, when this love fest with AV was announced. That's where they will make the real money. I'll further predict that it's not "optional". And it won't be cheap. Not their business model. To give you an idea, go check out what each AV install cost the state of Oregon and Washington.

Optional will be water pump insurance, muffler bearing insurance, and power windows. Maintenance won't be optional.... that's the gift that keeps on giving (to them).

bryan38401 said:
phil I have been in contact with av for 18 months now the will not even give me a price on an av let alone the nissan.I fear nissan made a big mistake but we will see.

AV did quote me last year. Just under $50k for the charger alone, sold outright (not available with this "cheap" charger). Blink is $60k to $80k "out the door", depending which day of the week you ask them.

Folks, this business is a government funded cash cow for these companies. Individual site installs are probably in the six figure region. The NRG deal may be $250,000 per install.

I will do them for about $30k complete.

TonyWilliams said:
bryan38401 said:

[snip]

Is that parts and labor for installation only (not including DC QC unit)? How's the Andromeda Power QC coming along? Do you have it in hand or is it still being manufactured?

Their quote form lists several installation options, including:
Final Commissioning Only
Includes the commissioning of the charging unit only. Customer will handle all construction and electrical contracting needs.

Phoenix said:
TonyWilliams said:
bryan38401 said:

[snip]

Is that parts and labor for installation only (not including DC QC unit)? How's the Andromeda Power QC coming along? Do you have it in hand or is it still being manufactured?

On average, complete cost. Similar prices should be possible with this Nissan unit, assuming AV doesn't screw it up too bad.

I do not have one in my hand yet.

I followed most of the steps to requesting a quote and toward the end there is what appears to be a DIY option:

"Final Commissioning Only

Includes the commissioning of the charging unit only. Customer will handle all construction and electrical contracting needs."

If this is true, things could get really interesting! While private property with 3 phase may be rare, there may be a few folks in key places willing to host.

TonyWilliams said:
As I predicted:

$$$$$$$

I keep reading here that they won't sell it to you without installation. On the site referenced on the first post, the installation and warranty page indicates that you can purchase it an install it yourself, but they require a final commissioning....whatever that means.

Final Commissioning Only
Includes the commissioning of the charging unit only. Customer will handle all construction and electrical contracting needs.

I'm not sure how much they charge for this option, but it is available as far as I can see. I'm I missing something? I did not fill out the entire document and get a quote to find out.

This is great, we have been waiting to get one of these at work. The pad and the ridiculously expensive 3 phase electical is already in, all we need is the unit. Hopefully they are really going to move quick to get these in customers hands. If they actually sell us one I'll let you all know.

Ingineer said:
Has anyone contacted them yet? Can you buy it without the installation, maintenance contracts, etc?

I'd be interested in what the final cost out the door for a self-installed unit. (if they will even sell it that way)

-Phil
Phil - It clearly says right on their web site, "Not currently available"

This web page 'announcement' is still just another teaser phase for this product, with a smattering of 'please stand by'.

hill said:
Phil - It clearly says right on their web site, "Not currently available"

This web page 'announcement' is still just another teaser phase for this product, with a smattering of 'please stand by'.
It only indicated that for the lower-cost model. The $15k model doesn't share that label.

-Phil

I was browsing the NissanUSA Leaf page and was reading the "Charging on the Go" section (http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/ev-charging-stations?next=ev_micro.section_nav), and noticed a link at the bottom to information about the low-cost DC Quick Charger. However, the link doesn't lead to http://www.NissanQC.com, but instead goes to http://ec2-107-22-236-164.compute-1.amazonaws.com/products. If you follow that link, you'll see a few differences from the NissanQC site we were already aware of. For example, the Basic model is not listed as currently unavailable. Additionally, the more expensive model is listed as costing only $12,900, not $15,500.

Strange, no?

EDIT: The site I found also seems to include prices for some of the options, such as the longer (4 meter) cable on the cheaper unit, a $400 upgrade.

NYLEAF said:
I was browsing the NissanUSA Leaf page and was reading the "Charging on the Go" section (http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/ev-charging-stations?next=ev_micro.section_nav), and noticed a link at the bottom to information about the low-cost DC Quick Charger. However, the link doesn't lead to http://www.NissanQC.com, but instead goes to http://ec2-107-22-236-164.compute-1.amazonaws.com/products. If you follow that link, you'll see a few differences from the NissanQC site we were already aware of. For example, the Basic model is not listed as currently unavailable. Additionally, the more expensive model is listed as costing only $12,900, not $15,500.

Strange, no?

EDIT: The site I found also seems to include prices for some of the options, such as the longer (4 meter) cable on the cheaper unit, a $400 upgrade.

I wouldn't count on all the info there to be accurate, the installation quote, for instance, sounds too good to be true:

Turnkey Installation ($100.00)
Includes all aspects of installation from construction to final commissioning. Handled by AeroVironment Installation Services Group without customer resources needed.

Perfect for Starbucks!
GaslessInSeattle said:
I followed most of the steps to requesting a quote and toward the end there is what appears to be a DIY option:

"Final Commissioning Only

Includes the commissioning of the charging unit only. Customer will handle all construction and electrical contracting needs."

If this is true, things could get really interesting! While private property with 3 phase may be rare, there may be a few folks in key places willing to host.

Ingineer said:

-Phil
Three installation options:
1. Hardware + install process...
2. Cash and carry + commissioning (Turn it on and test it)
3. Cash and carry
4. Ooopss... see below - after looked up my notes from talking with AV and Nissan, I noticed the http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site has been updated, within the last week, I think.

I'm on their list for the QC units. Supposed to get final specs any day now for the last week. They're releasing all of the specs and installation manual at once, and there's not much additional information until that time. It's possible the initial units may ship without networking or an ability to collect payment, though they should be able to field upgrade the units with these capabilities in the future at an undetermined price.

Does the Andromeda unit seem like it's appropriate for installation in an unattended public place? Will it stand up to public usage and mild vandalism? Can the Andromeda unit be converted to SAE Combo in the future?

With the initial Nissan unit starting at $15,500 plus additional, as yet unknown costs to field upgrade for access control / subscription / billing that the final cost won't be far off from the cost of the Andromeda unit.

Just noticed they've updated the networking / access control / billing options since I last checked. Pretty much confirms no network, no aceess control, no billing on the initial units
Access Control & Networking
No Networking (Standard)
Networking is currently not available.
Networking (Currently Not Available)
Networking will be available at a future date. This functionality can be added to Charging Stations already installed in the field. Networking features will include Network Management (User Authentication), Account Management, Asset Management (Remote Enable/Disable/Reboot), Alert/Notification Management, and Reporting.
Access Control (Currently Not Available)
Access Control will be available at a future date. This functionality can be added to the Charging Stations already installed in the field. Access Control and Subscriber Management will enable you to allow/restrict usage based on individuals/ groups/time/calendar/RFID#
Subscription/Billing Management (Currently Not Available)
Subscription/Billing Management will be available at a future date with Networking and Access Control. This will include Pricing Scheduling, Payment Processing, Transaction Management and Financial Reconciliation.

More on the installation options
Installation
Site Technical Feasibility Report
(included with all proposals as a default) Includes an on-site inspection by certified electrician/installers to assess to capabilities of the location.
Turnkey Installation
Includes all aspects of installation from construction to final commissioning. Handled by AeroVironment Installation Services Group without customer resources needed.
Construction Management Only
Includes management of installation from design, permitting and commissioning by AeroVironment Installation Group through Customer’s existing contractor (s).
Final Commissioning Only
Maintenance Contract
Maintenance Contract
Includes 1 year of site visits and labor for manufacturer recommended 6-month maintenance. Provided by AeroVironment.

It seems likely the Nissan unit will be 480V 3 phase only, while the Andromeda can take 208V 3 phase, and can use single phase, with some configurations have a lower max power. I'm thinking we're going to have a few QC sites with 208V 3 phase, where we'll need to install a 208V to 480V 3 phase, 75 kVA step up transformer for some of the 480V only DC fast charge units.

And I thought this was going to get simpler and easier... I guess at least we have more options soon. The Nissan and Andromeda units have some of the smallest space requirements and weigh less than other units making them a little easier to install....

Back