Newby charging question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galiano

My 2013 Leaf SL arrives shortly and I have a charging question. I will have a Level 2 charger in my garage. Many of our trips will be 20 km or less. What is better for the long term health of the battery : plug it in all the time the car is at home ? or let it run down somewhat after a few trips and then plug in ?

If I had the option, I would choose to keep it continually in the range of 30-80% charged.

Oh, and maybe once in a while running it down to turtle (or close thereto) and charging up to 100%, to give the battery a good long session to balance. But I would time this so that it was at 100% just in time for a trip(s) that would bring me down to 80% (or less).

Galiano said:
My 2013 Leaf SL arrives shortly and I have a charging question. I will have a Level 2 charger in my garage. Many of our trips will be 20 km or less. What is better for the long term health of the battery : plug it in all the time the car is at home ? or let it run down somewhat after a few trips and then plug in ?
You may get a variety of opinions, including some that say to just plug it in and don't worry about it. But, I think the consensus is that you should not leave the car at 100% charge for an extended time. Cycling it between 20% and 80% would be ok. 40% is thought to be about the best storage charge, so cycling it between 30% to 50% might be about the best you could do.

If you are willing — since you asked, I presume that you are — you might want to figure out how much charge you use on a daily basis and simply set one of your charge timers to add that much each day at a convenient time. (I use midday to take advantage of my solar panels directly.) Then run the car down to 30% or so and let the charge timer take over from there.

If all that is too much trouble, charge the car to 80%, using the end-time-only setting at when you typically leave home, and plug it in when you get to 30% or so. If you plan a longer trip set the second timer, or just use the override button to fill it up just before you need it. [Be aware that on the 2013 model you need to set the charge level to 100% to actually get a full charge.]

Thanks for your replies. I'm wondering if keeping it at 100 % charge is ok if we are using the vehicle every day and want to have that range security for longer commutes?

Galiano said:
Thanks for your replies. I'm wondering if keeping it at 100 % charge is ok if we are using the vehicle every day and want to have that range security for longer commutes?
It is OK, unless your daily usage is very small (20% or less). I'd suggest setting an end-only timer for the morning shortly before you would leave. That way the car will sit at 100% for only a small amount of time.

If you are making mostly those short (<20km) trips, then plugging back in, I'd set the car to charge to 80% and just plug it in whenever you can. If you know you'll need more, then override and charge to 100%.

davewill said:
Galiano said:
It is OK, unless your daily usage is very small (20% or less).
Well, I beg to disagree a wee bit. No argument that sitting at full charge is not good, but merely going there will also affect cycle life. Note that both Nissan and Tesla never allow the batteries to reach a truly full, 4.2 volts per cell, charge.

Having said that, If I feel the need for for the range, I charge to the max.

Stay away from 100% SOC and heat. If you need the max range, use the built in charging timer or start the charge manually a few hours before you need to drive so that the battery stays at full charge for the least amount of time. So far it's worked for me: 45k miles, 2.5 years all 12 bars (I'm sure posting this will make me loose one capacity bar this week).

What I'd say about the 100% thing is, do that for a few days, but once you realize that you have more than enough charge left over each time, you can decide to go back to 80%. I do the 100% thing myself for unknown trips.

I think that until I get over range anxiety, I will likely charge to 100 % for the first while. You guys are all Leaf veterans and I'm sure you have no fear of running out of juice. I am so looking forward to this car ! Thanks again for the help.

2013 Pearl white SL

When I put the car to bed for the night I usually have a pretty good idea of how far I am likely to drive the next day. If I'll be driving no more than ~30 miles (~50km) and the battery is at least half full, I don't plug it in. And I charge to 100% only if I might be driving >50 miles (~80km). Finally, I use an end-only timer that charges the car by 7 AM. You might need tighter rules than those if you are dealing with weather extremes or lots of major elevation changes. Or, of course, if you are a freeway speed demon.

I consider that my strategy increases the chances that the battery will spend most of its time in the "Goldilocks" range. If you follow my strategy and are driving a average of 20km you will probably only plug the car in once every 3 days or so.

Ray

mwalsh said:
If I had the option, I would choose to keep it continually in the range of 30-80% charged.

Oh, and maybe once in a while running it down to turtle (or close thereto) and charging up to 100%, to give the battery a good long session to balance. But I would time this so that it was at 100% just in time for a trip(s) that would bring me down to 80% (or less).

Any advantage gained in extra balancing (which isn't a known issue, AFAIK) would be canceled by taking it that low. There is no good reason to go below 20% if it isn't necessary to get home.

My commute is similar to that of the OP in distance, but there is a elevation change of approx. 300m/1000 ft between home and work. 80% daily charge works just fine for me. I could even hold off charging for a day or two as mentioned above, but especially when it is hot we can have demand-caused outages and with my luck it will happen on the day where I absolutely must charge, so I don't take the chance.

I will charge to 100% once a week but I also try to drive the car not long after charging stops.

ericsf said:
Stay away from 100% SOC and heat...So far it's worked for me: 45k miles, 2.5 years all 12 bars.
Hello ericsf,
Do you have detailed logs of your charging and driving patterns? Average miles per day?
While waiting for my LEAF, I am learning all I can about the best way to maintain battery life. I will be using my LEAF in my business. Over the last 3 years, I have driven an average of 37 miles per day. Some days as low as 7 miles, other days as high as 70 miles. I never really know in advance when a high mileage day is going to occur. Depends on how many local calls I get that day.
Thanks!
Ty
2013 Cayenne Red S, September delivery scheduled

For what it's worth, we have a simple algorithm.

1) LEAF timers are set to charge at 80% 24x7
2) We plug in the LEAFs when at home - they automatically charge to 80% and stop.
3) If extra range is needed, we hit the timer-off button 30-90 minutes before leaving.

I'm sure that there are more optimal battery management algorithms but those would require a lot more effort and planning. To us this strikes the balance between simplicity of use and the desire for long-life battery care.

babynuke said:
ericsf said:
Stay away from 100% SOC and heat...So far it's worked for me: 45k miles, 2.5 years all 12 bars.
Hello ericsf,
Do you have detailed logs of your charging and driving patterns? Average miles per day?
While waiting for my LEAF, I am learning all I can about the best way to maintain battery life. I will be using my LEAF in my business. Over the last 3 years, I have driven an average of 37 miles per day. Some days as low as 7 miles, other days as high as 70 miles. I never really know in advance when a high mileage day is going to occur. Depends on how many local calls I get that day.
Thanks!
Ty
2013 Cayenne Red S, September delivery scheduled
Get the 6.6 KW charger, install the 40 amp charging station at home, keep it around 50% SOC (5-6 bars). If you know before breakfast that it will be a longer day, over-ride and charge for an hour or so before leaving. If you don't know until it happens, then you'll probably need to charge to 80% every night. Do you return home or have a charger near your lunch stop? That could net you 20-40 mi more. More info on previous discussion about battery protection/treatment:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13547&p=309308&hilit=+stoaty#p309308
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13529&p=308890&hilit=+stoaty#p308890
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11251&p=259231&hilit=+stoaty#p259231

Galiano said:
You just need to replace what you used the previous day. If you purchased and want to keep the battery for 20+ yr, keep it between 4-8 bars most of the time, preferably at 5 bars. For a 20 km commute, 2 hr daily charge on L1 (120 V, 12 A) should be sufficient. If you have a L2 (240 V either 16-30 amp), then an hour nightly should be sufficient. Sure, for the first few days (weeks) charge to 100% until you get used to it. Very soon you'll realize that leaving it at 100% isn't necessary. Plan a long weekend (100-150 km) trip, ending with 20 km in town near home. Circle home until you get the 1st low battery warning (LBW) and 2nd VLBW. Check the mileage between each, and you'll know how much reserve is available. It's really amazing, and you won't know what it feels like until you've done it yourself. Once you've done this, then switch to battery preservation mode and over-ride as needed. Here are other responses/experiences: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12615&p=290168&hilit=+stoaty#p290168

LeftieBiker said:
Any advantage gained in extra balancing (which isn't a known issue, AFAIK) would be canceled by taking it that low. There is no good reason to go below 20% if it isn't necessary to get home.

I'm not sure I agree, but will split the difference and suggest the OP go to LBW instead of turtle. I'd even settle for 20% if you really hammered me on it. But I do know that in leaving it too much higher than that (30% for example) and charging to 100%, my car's pack doesn't seem to be well balanced at all.

mwalsh said:
LeftieBiker said:

I'm not sure I agree, but will split the difference and suggest the OP go to LBW instead of turtle. I'd even settle for 20% if you really hammered me on it. But I do know that in leaving it too much higher than that (30% for example) and charging to 100%, my car's pack doesn't seem to be well balanced at all.

How do you know this?

I have two options for my home charger being offered by the local Leaf club. A 25 amp for $625 or a 40 amp for " a lot more "

What would the difference be in charging rate ?

I think I have lots of room in my panel and I don't want to cheap out. What to do ?

Back