Newbie question on Nissan Leaf charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aftabu

Hi All,
I am planning to lease Nissal Leaf SV 2013. But I plan to move out of my current home in 1-2 year and therefore I am not inclined towards setting up expensivce charging station in my Garage. I tried looking at evseupgrade.com at this product
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But it seems like they will modify the cable that comes with the car. Since this will be a leased vehicle this does not seem like a good idea as I will have to return the cable after 2 years.

Is there any other way to quickly charge the car in my garage? I have washer&dryer in my garage so I guess I already have 240V outlet in the garage.

My commute is around 60 miles everyday so I dont want to be in a situation where my car does not have enough charge in the morning.

Thanks in advance and apologies if it was asked before. Please point me to that thread.

aftabu said:
Hi All,
I am planning to lease Nissal Leaf SV 2013. But I plan to move out of my current home in 1-2 year and therefore I am not inclined towards setting up expensivce charging station in my Garage. I tried looking at evseupgrade.com at this product
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But it seems like they will modify the cable that comes with the car. Since this will be a leased vehicle this does not seem like a good idea as I will have to return the cable after 2 years.

Is there any other way to quickly charge the car in my garage? I have washer&dryer in my garage so I guess I already have 240V outlet in the garage.

My commute is around 60 miles everyday so I dont want to be in a situation where my car does not have enough charge in the morning.

Thanks in advance and apologies if it was asked before. Please point me to that thread.

Take a look at the Nissan charging unit, (Amazon for about $950.) It just plugs in, perhaps to your dryer outlets receptacle, and you can just hang it on the wall near the outlet.

Unless you are driving fast and using heat and/or AC all the time, 12 to 14 hours on 110 should also work for you. It works for me and I drive 40 to 50 miles a day.

There's no reason not to get the upgrade.

Our assurance guarantee: At the end of your lease we will be happy to downgrade your unit for free. (you cover the shipping)

So far we've not yet had anyone take us up on the free downgrade offer, as it's easy to simply offer a swap with another owner who doesn't yet have an upgraded unit. You can even make some easy money, as almost any new owner will want to swap with you for lower cost than they can get their own unit upgraded for!

We've now had hundreds of customers turn in their LEAFs after 2 year leases, including several that were given buy-back offers in Arizona, and they experienced no problems with the upgraded unit tucked in it's bag in the trunk with the 120v adapter attached. However, we are not advising people turn in cars with upgraded units. It would be far batter and to have it swapped out to a new LEAF owner in the community, you make $ for it, and then everyone wins!

-Phil

At 60 miles/day usage, I would NOT recommend 120 volt only charging, especially during the winter months, unless you have access to at least 120 volt charging while at work.

+1 on Ingineer's post, plus the bonuses of not having to install it (the other solutions require wall-mounting) and having to carry around only one EVSE for both 120 and 240 volt charging.

Please check that your dryer is actually plugged into a dryer outlet. I actually have two sets of washers & dryers in my house (don't ask) and they're all plugged into regular 120 volt outlets.

NYLEAF said:
Please check that your dryer is actually plugged into a dryer outlet. I actually have two sets of washers & dryers in my house (don't ask) and they're all plugged into regular 120 volt outlets.

Aww, see now all you have to do is run a Quick220 between your two 120V dryer outlets, and you're set! :lol:

Thanks everyone.It is very helpful. I think I will get my cable upgraded. I am assuming this upgrade will work on both 120 and 240V lines.

Yes, the upgrade will work on 120V as well as 240V, but you'll need the optional 120V adapter. Note that when on 120V it will still be charging at the standard Level 1 (slow) rate.

If your dryer is plugged into 120V, it's likely a gas-powered dryer, so in these cases the 240V outlet is unused (if present). Since it's less costly to run a dryer on gas, it's common to have a spare 240V outlet available.

-Phil

Yes, both dryers are gas powered. There are no 240 volt outlets present, sadly. In fact, I'm fairly certain that there's no 240 volt outlets anywhere in my house.

Back