Newbie Q: Is the Lease Salesman giving me the right info?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is an older home, but appears (fingers crossed) to be adequate space on the panel.

When I installed a swimming pool a few years back, the electrician was ready to use the panel for that but we had a new breaker box installed outside, by the meter, to save the walls from having to be cut up.

The electrician has worked on our home before, so I'll wait to hear what he has to offer.

Gearscout said:
It is an older home, but appears (fingers crossed) to be adequate space on the panel.
My recommendation is to install WIRING for 40A (8 AWG CU), but install a 30A breaker and an L6-30R plug to accept the plug for this EVSEupgrade. I would also recommend running 3-wire plus ground (four wires total) even though only 2-wire plus ground is required so that you can repurpose the circuit later on if desired. You might even wish to have him leave a bit of extra length in the wire so that it can be moved to a built-in EVSE location in the future.

But that is just me since it is a LONG pull from my panel to where the EV is parked.

One last thing: I recommend placing the L6-30R outlet someplace near a shelf where the EVSE can sit. This is because the pigtail is very short, as is required by the electrical codes. I put mine just below one of our shelves in the garage and the EVSE sits where I can see it when we plug in the LEAF. I'd be happy to upload a photograph is you are looking for ideas.

Sorry if I am providing TMI! Lots to consider for your first EV!

Reg, not possible to get Too Much Info right now!

I don't know what happened to my earlier reply, but I appreciate the advice.

The electrician is delayed, but I am seriously considering the investment in a dedicated 220v charging station -- the one from AeroEnvironment that utilizes a plug, so it can be moved at a later time, if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Plug-In-Residential-Charger-EVSE-RS/dp/B00BJ5W9HW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370880338&sr=8-1&keywords=Nissan+Leaf+evse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I plan to let the whole family used the EV to make short runs, so a dedicated 220v charger would seem to make sense. While 3x the cost of EVupgrade, I do get a 30% tax rebate.

Understood on extra cable. Understood on the 3+1 wiring. My total run should only be 35 feet, plus the extra. Understood on the need for a shelf, too. That's a great idea planning ahead. The ceiling around the main panel was torn up for a kitchen upgrade a year ago, which may make this run a bit easier. The panel and the garage are on the same level...though I may need to use conduit to wire it all to a plug mounted on a cinder block exterior wall so its super-convenient for charging inside/outside the garage.

I really appreciate your informative comments!

Gearscout said:
I plan to let the whole family used the EV to make short runs, so a dedicated 220v charger would seem to make sense. While 3x the cost of EVupgrade, I do get a 30% tax rebate.
I'm not sure what you are suggesting there.
  • If you mean you want to keep the trickle charge EVSE in the car at all times, I don't consider short runs by family members a reason for doing that. The only real justifications I can think of for keeping that in the car are:
    • You are going way out in the boonies (like maybe a national forest) where the mileages are long between civilized areas but you might be able to plug into 120v in an emergency.
    • You use the car for commuting, and have access to a 120v plug but not an L2 EVSE where you park.
    • You sometimes leave the car at an airport for a day, in a lot/structure that provides 120v plugs, but either has no L2 EVSEs or has them mostly tied up.
    I'll bet if you took a poll of current LEAF owners, more than 95% never trickle charge away from home.
  • If you mean you don't think you can get the rebate on the EVSEupgrade, I consider myself about as honest as Abe Lincoln, and I felt no qualms in taking the credit for the upgrade itself as well as the 240v wiring. That is my dedicated 240v(*) EVSE(**), and it is semi-permanently mounted at my home. It is actually attached to the building with two screws. Yes, I can remove it in a few minutes, but I've only done that once in the past two years.

Ray

Terminology notes:
(*) US households have 120v and 240v, not 110v and 220v. The lower voltages disappeared more than half a century ago.
(**) It's an EVSE, not a charger. The charger is built in to the car.

Gearscout said:
The electrician is delayed, but I am seriously considering the investment in a dedicated 220v charging station -- the one from AeroEnvironment that utilizes a plug, so it can be moved at a later time, if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Plug-In-Residential-Charger-EVSE-RS/dp/B00BJ5W9HW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370880338&sr=8-1&keywords=Nissan+Leaf+evse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are other EVSEs as well that are plug-in as opposed to hard-wired. Note though that unless you have multiple outlets similar to what the EVSE is plugged into, its portability is overrated, and may not cost any less than to move a hard-wired one if a new outlet has to be installed anyway.

If you are looking to plug in at a 240 volt outlet away from home, the upgraded OEM EVSE with adapters is far more portable.

Gearscout said:
the one from AeroEnvironment that utilizes a plug, so it can be moved at a later time, if needed.

Gear, if no one has suggested, if you're going with the 240 volt plug option you would be a great candidate for the EVSE upgrade.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=v5i4r4qf93vlk3sgvi32i5dcv3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll be doing it myself when I have some spare change so I can charge at RV parks.

There are so many L2 charging options in ATL that I'd skip it at home for now. I'd increase the mileage though - you'll be driving it a lot.

Thanks to all for the replies and information.

I apparently have until the end of the month before my vehicle is expected at the dealership, so plenty of time! Like most, I'm just trying to do as much research and consider as many options as possible.

I'll get the electrician to put in a 240v plug in the garage.

Will probably just get the EV-upgrade on the OEM EVSE to start, looking over all the replies, and be able to use that for L2 /L1 charging. And yes, I'll apply for a rebate on that, as well! Dealer says no penalty for doing the EVSE upgrade and returning that at the end of the lease.

Unfortunately, while I was hoping to collect all of the $5,000 Georgia State tax credit, it appears I will only qualify for about $4200. (I would have to pay about $2400 more in lease charges to get a vehicle that would collect the whole thing.) I can live with that!

It's for 29k from Royal Nissan on Holcomb Bridge Road -- but your GA State rebate is calculated AFTER the dealer takes $7500 for the Federal Tax Credit off the cost of the vehicle...so around $21,500 sticker price. If I got an SL, or even an SV model, I could probably get the full tax credit.

I just verified that with the dealer, although still waiting to hear from my tax accountant.

Have you had a different experience in Georgia? I'm all ears! ;-)

Gearscout said:
... Will probably just get the EV-upgrade on the OEM EVSE to start, looking over all the replies, and be able to use that for L2 /L1 charging. And yes, I'll apply for a rebate on that, as well! Dealer says no penalty for doing the EVSE upgrade and returning that at the end of the lease. ...
That's great, but don't do it. Find some deserving local LEAF owner to do a swap for their bone stock unit...or a not so deserving one who will kick you some cash in the swap.

1. Dealer doesn't take the federal tax credit (not a rebate) only lease company if you lease.
2. Is the lease price or purchase price over 25k, purchaser or lesee can take the 20% tax credit up to 5k. FederalTax credit doesn't go into the cost or purchase price, since it depends on the tax liability of the purchaser (so if you lease, Nissan will get the money but they are passing it throug capitalizing it as a downpayment on the lease).
3. I purchased my car for 26k before tax credit and got my 5k Georgia tax credit without a problem. Dealer has nothing to do with it.

Gearscout,

I am in Lilburn, Georgia and I am planning to get the 240V installed in my garage. Can you tell me how much it costed you to get the 240V installed?
I am planning to get this done in my garage, I don't have a leaf yet but planning to get one soon.

Thanks
Sats

winsats said:
Gearscout,

I am in Lilburn, Georgia and I am planning to get the 240V installed in my garage. Can you tell me how much it costed you to get the 240V installed?
I am planning to get this done in my garage, I don't have a leaf yet but planning to get one soon.

Thanks
Sats
not knowing anything about YOUR installation job you could figure on about $200-$300 if you have adequate service already installed

winsats said:
I am in Lilburn, Georgia and I am planning to get the 240V installed in my garage. Can you tell me how much it costed you to get the 240V installed? I am planning to get this done in my garage, I don't have a leaf yet but planning to get one soon.
There is no way to answer that question in general; it totally depends on the existing electrical system in your house.
  • If your breaker panel is in the garage, and happens to be close to where you want the EVSE, and it has spare capacity in it, then the installation cost will be very low, maybe less than the city license and inspection.
  • If your panel is maxed out, and you have a low amperage service, like maybe 100 amps, and the wires coming to your house are underground, it will cost you thousands of dollars.

In my case I used an EVSEupgrade and put in the wiring myself, all of a foot or so, and "forgot" to tell the city what I was doing. Total cost other than the EVSE: About $100, and that included adding a subpanel.

But the first question to ask yourself is whether you need to spend anything. If you expect to drive the car less than 30-40 miles per day, or if you have a reliable source of electricity where you park for work, you can probably get by with the 120v "trickle charge" EVSE that comes with the car. Try it for a while, learn more about the 240v charging possibilities, and make a much better informed choice later about how much money - if any - you want to spend for faster charging at home.

Ray

planet4ever said:
winsats said:
I am in Lilburn, Georgia and I am planning to get the 240V installed in my garage. Can you tell me how much it costed you to get the 240V installed? I am planning to get this done in my garage, I don't have a leaf yet but planning to get one soon.
There is no way to answer that question in general; it totally depends on the existing electrical system in your house.
  • If your breaker panel is in the garage, and happens to be close to where you want the EVSE, and it has spare capacity in it, then the installation cost will be very low, maybe less than the city license and inspection.
  • If your panel is maxed out, and you have a low amperage service, like maybe 100 amps, and the wires coming to your house are underground, it will cost you thousands of dollars.

In my case I used an EVSEupgrade and put in the wiring myself, all of a foot or so, and "forgot" to tell the city what I was doing. Total cost other than the EVSE: About $100, and that included adding a subpanel.

But the first question to ask yourself is whether you need to spend anything. If you expect to drive the car less than 30-40 miles per day, or if you have a reliable source of electricity where you park for work, you can probably get by with the 120v "trickle charge" EVSE that comes with the car. Try it for a while, learn more about the 240v charging possibilities, and make a much better informed choice later about how much money - if any - you want to spend for faster charging at home.

Ray

Thanks for the info Ray, mine is a new home only couple of months old. While I am not sure of the amps, the panel has many more space and the it is in garage and very next to where I park. I can put the outlet right below the panel and there is a good space to put the EVSE right next to it. I drive about 52 miles a day on weekdays and plan to use it more if I can get the 240V. Now, with this much info, how much should I expect to install 240V. Thanks.

winsats said:
Thanks for the info Ray, mine is a new home only couple of months old. While I am not sure of the amps, the panel has many more space and the it is in garage and very next to where I park. I can put the outlet right below the panel and there is a good space to put the EVSE right next to it. I drive about 52 miles a day on weekdays and plan to use it more if I can get the 240V. Now, with this much info, how much should I expect to install 240V. Thanks.
If you have the tools and know-how, you can put in a 240V outlet for less than $50. Otherwise, I would go with apvbguy's estimate above of $200 to $300.

RegGuheert said:
winsats said:
If you have the tools and know-how, you can put in a 240V outlet for less than $50. Otherwise, I would go with apvbguy's estimate above of $200 to $300.
Thank you.

winsats said:
Gearscout,

Thanks
Sats

I had 2 certified electricians do my install. It wasn't cheap even though it was pretty easy.

They routed 2 dedicated circuits -- 1 240/1 120 from a swimming pool pump box I had installed years earlier. The run was 30 feet. They installed the boxes and enclosed everything.

Cost:

Materials:

$163 circuit breakers, #8 gauge wire, weatherproof boxes, conduit etc.

Labor: $200

These were "off the books" electricians who were professionally qualified. I would recommend them to anyone.

Gearscout said:
winsats said:
Gearscout,

Thanks
Sats

I had 2 certified electricians do my install. It wasn't cheap even though it was pretty easy.

They routed 2 dedicated circuits -- 1 240/1 120 from a swimming pool pump box I had installed years earlier. The run was 30 feet. They installed the boxes and enclosed everything.

Cost:

Materials:

$163 circuit breakers, #8 gauge wire, weatherproof boxes, conduit etc.

Labor: $200

These were "off the books" electricians who were professionally qualified. I would recommend them to anyone.

Thanks all, I got the two offers to install the outlet from certified pro in $150 range. Got my leaf s today and ordered the ge wattstation from Home Depot for $760 with tax So, my home charging will be ready in a week and I will be good to use my leaf as my primary car :)

Back