Newbie - Help - Covid - Leaf only gets 40mi - need to drive to work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GerryAZ said:
You bought the car new and have almost 60,000 miles now so it has done well up to this point.
That is probably true, but OP is (sort of) saying that it will not drive 50 miles on a charge now. I don't actually think that is true once he brings the car up to an acceptable condition, but he is not off by much.

My rule of thumb is that a car bought new should last 15 - 20 years and 200k miles with decent maintenance. The 24 kWh LEAFs are not coming anywhere near that longevity goal when 35% of capacity is gone in 7 years.

I have to say though, I find it fascinating that OP is an early adopter, knows so little about EVs and less about LEAFs; and only woke up to the realities of 24 kWh LEAF ownership a month ago when he barely made it to this destination. I suppose he is the epitome of the 'show me the ON button' American consumer. Or his story of owning the LEAF since 2014 when he bought it new is an ... embellishment. A hand-me-down from his parents would explain a lot.

My rule of thumb is that a car bought new should last 15 - 20 years and 200k miles with decent maintenance. The 24 kWh LEAFs are not coming anywhere near that longevity goal when 35% of capacity is gone in 7 years

LOL, the only LEAFs that meet your second criteria are the recent 62 kWh models. How can you even talk about a 24 kWh LEAF falling short of expectations like that?

Also, not a single LEAF ever made will meet the 15 - 20 year expectation. Time will tell, but I doubt most Tesla's will last 20 years either, unless Musk decides to sell replacement packs for a reasonable price (or if the car is pre 2020 with the unlimited battery pack warranty).

To be sure, a 35% drop over 7 years is definitely not meeting anyone's expectations, but that level of degradation isn't typical of all 2013s.

As a used buy, a Nissan LEAF is an exceedingly rare opportunity to break even on a car purchase. I'm thrilled with my LEAF, as it paid for itself after only 3 years of ownership in gas savings alone. Everything else after that point has been gravy...

This car owes me nothing and I would buy it again in a heartbeat (and will do just that by purchasing a 2018 MY, as soon as this current car pricing madness subsides).

To respond to prev. suggestions - the office is a professional park - so I can't plug it into an outlet in the back, also too far from houses to rent from someone. but thanks I appreciate the ideas and creativity.
Update: I took the plunge and made a roundtrip to work. - I spent $4 on air to fill the left side up to 44psi, and right front to 36psi, but the passenger's rear wont go above 22. Anyway, I took the trip, and monitored Leaf spy. When I hit 50% I'd turn around and see how close I got (to determine whether new tires would suffice). I tried to stay a 50MPH, but didn't have the discipline to do it - to much influence with other cars driving 65-70MPH. Anyway, I ended up between 55-60MPH. I made it to the office! and had a lot of bars on the car reader, so I thought I was in great shape, anyway for some reason the bars made a steep drop out of the blue - and with 15-20 miles to reach home, I got a warning stating that I had only 16 miles left. I quickly found the discipline and drop 45-50MPH the rest of the way and made it home with (according to leafspy about 0.5mi left until 5%)!
Conclusion If I buy 4 efficient tires - I should have enough charge to make the commute @55-60MPH and an occasional defog
:) thanks so much - you saved me from having to buy a new car.
Which tires should I buy? I've read on the forum the Ecopia's get the best mileage, but I'll be driving in winter conditions and perhaps I shoudl get the "cross climate" (also is that the "crossclimate+" or "crosscliamte2"?) - how much of a mileage difference is there? What do you suggest?

Good to hear.

I topped off my car tyres with a bicycle pump for decades, but not too long ago I bought a battery operated pump and consider it money very well spent.

I have this one:
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj_wNb4_-P0AhVeG9QBHTPFAnYYABALGgJvYQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2Oy2G6Acit07K3v2uRmu2-eyAhICrFOkoMu8HEnTWcpo3eRgEIPEshlBq5xlmxlRUOF7i9SWiXrzRW5ZO1qB-&sig=AOD64_35g0rCR0ipyihzzf5f6rZo0gvahg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjMjsX4_-P0AhUllGoFHTx_DroQ9aACegQIARB5&adurl=

Good to hear.

I topped off my car tyres with a bicycle pump for decades, but not too long ago I bought a battery operated pump and consider it money very well spent.

I have this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Dual-Function-Inflator-Deflator-with-1-5-Ah-Battery-and-18V-Charger-P747KN/311788880

--
First things first, get that 22 psi tyre repaired.
If you do decide to replace all four tyres, take your locale into account. The most fuel efficient tyres are dangerous in the snow so you have to buy a compromise tyre if that is a consideration.

Ecopia 422 Plus are rated as all season tires. Unless you get a lot of snow and ice they should be fine. They are probably the most efficient tires out there that I've heard of. Costco has them on sale now if you're a member.

The Michelin CrossClimate2 are rated very highly. A poster here has said they are within 5% of so in efficiency with the Ecopia +. They are probably better in snow but are also more expensive.

No matter what tires you get, keep them well inflated since that makes a huge difference in range. Glad to hear you can use your Leaf!

cgott42 said:
To respond to prev. suggestions - the office is a professional park - so I can't plug it into an outlet in the back, also too far from houses to rent from someone. but thanks I appreciate the ideas and creativity.
Update: I took the plunge and made a roundtrip to work. - I spent $4 on air to fill the left side up to 44psi, and right front to 36psi, but the passenger's rear wont go above 22.
So your Leaf has (3) different types of tires on it?
Anyway, I took the trip, and monitored Leaf spy. When I hit 50% I'd turn around and see how close I got (to determine whether new tires would suffice). I tried to stay a 50MPH, but didn't have the discipline to do it - to much influence with other cars driving 65-70MPH. Anyway, I ended up between 55-60MPH. I made it to the office! and had a lot of bars on the car reader, so I thought I was in great shape, anyway for some reason the bars made a steep drop out of the blue - and with 15-20 miles to reach home, I got a warning stating that I had only 16 miles left. I quickly found the discipline and drop 45-50MPH the rest of the way and made it home with (according to leafspy about 0.5mi left until 5%)!
With LeafSpy you can get beyond the dash readings and watch the kWh left. On the Gen1, if I remember, seems like Turtle mode hit around 0.7 kWh remaining and shutdown was 0.5 kWh remaining. Although, maybe more for emergencies, going that route can squeeze out quite a few more miles if driving efficiently. You can change LeafSpy to give you miles remaining based on discharge to 0.5 kWh instead, that would give you an estimate of mileage all the way down to battery shutdown. That can help with any range anxiety doing these drive tests.
Conclusion If I buy 4 efficient tires - I should have enough charge to make the commute @55-60MPH and an occasional defog
:) thanks so much - you saved me from having to buy a new car.
Which tires should I buy? I've read on the forum the Ecopia's get the best mileage, but I'll be driving in winter conditions and perhaps I shoudl get the "cross climate" - how much of a mileage difference is there? What do you suggest?
Because your mileage needs are the most important, me personally, I would recommend the Ecopia's for maximum range. Not the best winter tire unless your deflate them to 30 psi for the snow, but then range suffers a lot to do that. In a non-snow drive, having the tires inflated to 44 PSI cold works well and the ride comfort isn't too bad either. Technically, they can be inflated to 50 PSI cold, but you would need to ask others here what the ride comfort is like, I've never put mine above 44 PSI cold.

goldbrick said:
Ecopia 422 Plus are rated as all season tires. Unless you get a lot of snow and ice they should be fine. They are probably the most efficient tires out there that I've heard of. Costco has them on sale now if you're a member.

The Michelin CrossClimate2 are rated very highly. A poster here has said they are within 5% of so in efficiency with the Ecopia +. They are probably better in snow but are also more expensive.

No matter what tires you get, keep them well inflated since that makes a huge difference in range. Glad to hear you can use your Leaf!

Thanks - I'll go with the Ecopia 422+ with the Costco discount ;-)

Good choice. I have them on my Leaf and they've been great. The OEM tires were Ecopia (not plus) and they didn't wear very long although the reports on the + version have been virtually all positive from what I've read.

As a reminder, the 12V compressor that is part of the emergency tire inflation kit (stored behind cover in left rear of luggage compartment) is a very good small compressor. You can use it to adjust tire pressures routinely without using the sealant. I saved the compressor when I traded my 2015 so I can carry it on motorcycle trips and have used the compressor that came with 2019 to help people along the road. I would have kept the one from 2011, but it was destroyed by the crash.

Based upon my experience, I believe the Ecopia's are slightly lower rolling resistance (higher efficiency) than the Michelin Cross Climate 2's that I have now. If you expect severe winter snow/ice conditions, then the Cross Climate 2's will give you better traction. I am running 44 psi in the Cross Climate 2's and am amazed how well they work in heavy rain, but I have no plans to drive the LEAF in snow. I found that Ecopia's worked well in rain if inflated to 44 psi, but stopping distance was long if pressure was only 36 psi (probably due to heavy weight of car distorting tires under hard braking).

cgott42 said:
Thanks - I'll go with the Ecopia 422+ with the Costco discount ;-)
Given your current tire situation, you will certainly notice the difference after the change-over. I just changed mine a couple of weeks ago over to the Ecopia from the factory stock and what a difference it makes; more quiet, better turning, and a bump in the efficiency for a range increase. :D

I ran the OEMs and then Costco Ecopia+ tires for years on my Leaf and was pretty happy with the traction and range, well you can't really get better for range.. I ran 44PSI when I filled them and would top off if they got lower than 40, most notable when it got cold. They were "OK" traction in the snow, which is why I have now switched to the Crossclimate's(also at Costco but about a hundred dollars/set more than the Ecopias).
Unless the OP lives in an area that regularly gets a lot of snow and can't really wait until the roads have been cleared, the Ecopias should be just fine, again I ran with them for years before discovering the Crossclimates which are much better in snow but the Ecopias are A/S tires, summer tires are another story.they are what got me into a better winter tire, my '12 came from So CA and had summer tires and were AWFUL in the snow, the Leaf would get stuck on any incline. Early into the winter(after an accident where the Leaf slipped down a slight incline, through an intersection just missing other cars and finally ended up hitting a curb median, causing damage to the front end of the Leafs suspension) I purchased a used pair of winter tires which were night and day difference. They were X-ICE3 but I didn't like I had to pay $60-80 every spring and fall to swap them with the summer tires. In comes the Corssclimates that have almost as good traction as the X-ICEs but can be run year-round, well they made the best sense for me and they had quite a bit better range than the true snow tires, not as great as the Ecopias but good enough for me.

I live in NY (about 45 min north of NYC) we get snow, but I can mostly wait until the roads are clear

jjeff said:
I ran the OEMs and then Costco Ecopia+ tires for years on my Leaf and was pretty happy with the traction and range, well you can't really get better for range.. I ran 44PSI when I filled them and would top off if they got lower than 40, most notable when it got cold. They were "OK" traction in the snow, which is why I have now switched to the Crossclimate's(also at Costco but about a hundred dollars/set more than the Ecopias).
Unless the OP lives in an area that regularly gets a lot of snow and can't really wait until the roads have been cleared, the Ecopias should be just fine, again I ran with them for years before discovering the Crossclimates which are much better in snow but the Ecopias are A/S tires, summer tires are another story.they are what got me into a better winter tire, my '12 came from So CA and had summer tires and were AWFUL in the snow, the Leaf would get stuck on any incline. Early into the winter(after an accident where the Leaf slipped down a slight incline, through an intersection just missing other cars and finally ended up hitting a curb median, causing damage to the front end of the Leafs suspension) I purchased a used pair of winter tires which were night and day difference. They were X-ICE3 but I didn't like I had to pay $60-80 every spring and fall to swap them with the summer tires. In comes the Corssclimates that have almost as good traction as the X-ICEs but can be run year-round, well they made the best sense for me and they had quite a bit better range than the true snow tires, not as great as the Ecopias but good enough for me.

I keep hunting for the AS with snow rating tyres I will put on our Tesla Model Y. The Crossclimate2's check off many boxes but are noisy; the Vredestein Quatro-pros have high rolling resistance. You have to pick the trade-off you are willing to accept. Goodyear makes an 'assurance weather ready' 4 season tyre that has worked great for our LEAF but so far does not come in Model Y size or rating, and the use case is different. Goodyear markets a 'vector4seasons' AS with snow rating in Europe that sounded right for me, but it is not sold in the US under any label I recognize.

It does seem to be true that an AS with snow rating combined with AWD comes pretty close to a non-studded snow tyre like the X-ice or Blizzak on a FWD car in stopping distance and cornering, and of course is superior forward traction. Well, at least for the first couple mm of wear. I'm not sure after that.

cgott42 said:
I live in NY (about 45 min north of NYC) we get snow, but I can mostly wait until the roads are clear

Sounds like you are near me. I live near Mechanicville. We get much less snow than we used to, but can still get hit with a foot, occasionally.

I have CrossClimate2 tires on my Rav4Prime and I wouldn't call them noisy. ConsumerReports also gives them OK marks for noise although they ding them on rolling resistance. I assume they use whatever inflation PSI the mfg recommends so that might not be as bad as it sound.

Also, on the R4P forums, there has been some discussion on the rolling resistance on 'euro spec' tires being lower than the 'us spec' version. Someone on 'Tyre Reviews' supposed made this claim although I can't find it on the website.

goldbrick said:
I have CrossClimate2 tires on my Rav4Prime and I wouldn't call them noisy. ConsumerReports also gives them OK marks for noise although they ding them on rolling resistance. I assume they use whatever inflation PSI the mfg recommends so that might not be as bad as it sound.

Also, on the R4P forums, there has been some discussion on the rolling resistance on 'euro spec' tires being lower than the 'us spec' version. Someone on 'Tyre Reviews' supposed made this claim although I can't find it on the website.
You have my vehicle :D well at least the one we've had on order for almost a year and could be up to another year according to MY dealer in MN :( Anyway I agree with you, I also wouldn't call the Crossclimates noisy, they were actually quieter than the Continental tires on my NV200 van and maybe on par to a tad noiser than the previous tires on our Leaf.
So did you replace the new tires on your RAV4P? I'd also probably like them on ours but will probably wait until the crap OEM(or generally OEMs tires are crap) wear out, which may not be all that long if they use the same grade tires Nissan does.

Yep. I have a set of Yokohama tires in my shed with about 4k miles on them and I've been too lazy to sell them.

At first I thought about buying another set of rims for a summer/winter tire swap but I like the CC2's so much I've decided to just keep them on all year. :mrgreen:

PS, you're going to love your R4P. To be fair, this is my first hybrid car but it's a great piece of engineering and I am just amazed by its usefulness and efficiency.

Back