Newbie Confusion Re: Home Charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennr01

Did a search, came up with nothing. Have trickle charger only, awaiting 240v. The manual (and video) says to unplug the charger from both the car & the outlet after charging is done. However, if I am to use scheduled charging, the odds of me getting up in the middle of the night to unplug both is minimal. Also, once charging is complete, does the 120v charger draw current from the home outlet? Thanks for any help and... go easy, this is my third day and second post ;)

You certainly don't need to unplug immediately after charging completes. Treat it like your cellphone...plug it in at the end of the day and unplug it right before you need to leave.

As for leaving it plugged into the wall outlet, that's your choice. Someone asked about "phatom draw" in this thread. I checked with my trusty Kill-A-Watt and found it only draws about 2 watts when the vehicle isn't plugged in. So I wouldn't worry too much about leaving it plugged in all the time, although if it's your only EVSE, you're leaving yourself open to getting stranded if you don't have it with you. Caveat emptor... ;)

Oh, and welcome to the LEAF community - you're going to have a great year! :D

The book assumes you are only using the supplied EVSE on 120 volts on an "opportunity" basis, or some such wording. I, and many others used only the 120 volt EVSE for quite a long time and left it plugged on to the wall 24/7. I left it plugged into the car from the time I connected until the next use of the car.

Enjoy your LEAF.

Bill

Thank you both for your prompt answers. I kinda figured that was the case. I await my home Level 2, likely about a month or so. So trickle down is in the immediate future. I am literally walking distance (long walk, but still) from Nissan HQ, who have some free access to a couple of working Level 2's, and a non-functioning Quick Charge. I'll make due until then.

Thanks again, fun to be here.

You need to go straighten them out about the DCQC being down at HQ. They can't roll out the new car in TN and not have their DCQC working!

After you shame them into fixing it, just go top off there whenever you stretch your range (for free) :D

Philip

philipscoggins said:
You need to go straighten them out about the DCQC being down at HQ. They can't roll out the new car in TN and not have their DCQC working!

After you shame them into fixing it, just go top off there whenever you stretch your range (for free) :D

Philip

On my way! Love free gas, um, electric!

Back