New SL owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chump

I just picked up my first leaf - 2015 SL, morning sky blue. Had a $8500 gov rebate, and a $3750 dealership incentive, and talked it down a bit more.

I also own a 2013 Prius V, but this all electric thing is a huge leap and has had me on edge.

I'm in Toronto Canada - it's freezing here and I have a 68-70km commute in total each day. No trickle charge at work, though there's a DC not too far from it. The range impact from the cold is my main concern, though I think I should be okay.

Still waiting to get my EVSE installed this week, but really excited to be using it.

Welcome new Leafer! May you enjoy your new Leaf experience as much as I did mine 2 years ago.
I suspect you will find that you will need to charge up at work or you won't make it all the way home but that is just a guess on my part; so much depends on speed, hills, wind and other variables. I have a '13 SV and it was just above freezing today with no wind. I drove 46 miles at mostly 55-60 mph and had 50% battery when I got home. I preheated the car before leaving and used the seat and steering wheel heat only. Bottom line is, you will likely make it but it will be a close thing. Much better to plan on charging at the work location, then no worries. :)

70 km (about 42 miles) should not be a problem as long as you start with a full charge. You will not get a full charge overnight with the portable 120-volt L1 EVSE so you may need to use the DC QC near work until you get your L2 unit installed at home.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
70 km (about 42 miles) should not be a problem as long as you start with a full charge. You will not get a full charge overnight with the portable 120-volt L1 EVSE so you may need to use the DC QC near work until you get your L2 unit installed at home.

Gerry

If he (?) has the car plugged in from when he gets home to when it's time to leave for work, it should be able to get back to 100%. I had a 43 mile RT commute and did fine. The trick is to not overdo the heat - set it for about 20 degrees C and use a lower fan speed. A fleece throw lap blanket, preferably heated, also helps a lot, as of course do the heated seats and wheel.

I am in the GTA and with my 2014 I am able to do those distances if not more even down to -20. For example last week when the daytime high was -15c I was able to do around 90km getting home with 10 percent of battery. To do that I had to run with pretty much no heat the majority of the time except for pre heating in the morning.

A couple of things you are are going to find though is that driving speed, heat, and wind can make massive differences in your range. If you expect to fly around at 120km/h with the heat at full blast you are just going to eat through your battery. Once you get the L2 you are best to preheat in the morning off the grid. Since you have the DC close by at work you can get a little extra juice if you need it on the really cold days. Long term once the good weather comes you will be amazed at the range you can get.

Back