New side marker light (Turn Signal)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pic1.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Can you replace LED bulbs in it? or you'll have to replace the whole unit if some LED stops working?
From the description of the item it seems like you just glue it in, nothing will hold it but the foam strip with glue, am I right? Have anyone tried going through car wash with those? Does the foam/glue look high quality that can survive multiple years on a car under the sun, wind, ice and rain?

It is a sticky foam tape strip on the back, yes.
I used some degreaser/cleaner to get the paint ready to make it stick.
(Alcohol wipes can work well too.)
I think it might have said 3M on the tape. It seemed like high quality adhesive.
Hopefully it will stay stuck. It feels secure so far.
I doubt the LEDs are replaceable but they would likely last so long it doesn't matter.

UkrainianKozak,
The sticky back tape looked like a 3m copy (In the same font as 3M tape, the cover tape said "3WM"). I was a little nervous about the quality too, so I ran a tiny bead of silicone caulk around the top edge. It has been through several car washes. As for replacing the light, the (in my case) yellow lens looked like you could put a little flat screwdriver under the rear edge and pop it off but I didn't try to do it. LEDs last a long time, and for $12 you can always replace the whole light if necessary.

rawhog said:
Be aware that insome staes, like Cali. Red and blue would be illegal.

I think that holds in many if not most areas. Red is reserved (except for taillights) for emergency vehicles; blue lighting reserved for law enforcement.

Nubo said:
rawhog said:

I think that holds in many if not most areas. Red is reserved (except for taillights) for emergency vehicles; blue lighting reserved for law enforcement.

In Pennsylvania they have that swapped so cops use red. :lol:

Since it will only be illuminated when the turn signal is on, I wouldn't worry about it...

And the adhesive tape seems quite strong. Since that is how virtually all badging is also held on, I'm not concerned about it...

rawhog said:

A LOT of people don't worry about a LOT of stuff. Like, speed limits, cell phone use, even using the turn signals to start with. That said. It is illegal, and all it takes is one a hole cop having a bad day. The other issue could be SAE approval. It is also illegal to have any light not SAE approved in service while the vehicle is being driven.

rawhog said:
A LOT of people don't worry about a LOT of stuff. Like, speed limits, cell phone use, even using the turn signals to start with. That said. It is illegal, and all it takes is one a hole cop having a bad day. The other issue could be SAE approval. It is also illegal to have any light not SAE approved in service while the vehicle is being driven.
Is it also against sae to have an unapproved charger? Sorry couldn't help it.

But the popo won't see you charger glowing a nice restricted color in the night. Have you ever been pulled over for having a lit up Christmas wreath on the truck? I have? Non standard turn indicators? Yep. Why do something you know is not legal? Just because you or whoever feels entitled? Pshawwww

It's a lot like driving a VW Beetle without bumpers. The skirts look close enough so "most" cops won't say anything. But there is always that one guy that knows a little too much.

I noticed that the original eBay supplier is out of stock on the side marker light (turn signal) that you guys purchased and installed on your LEAF's. When I search eBay I find only China suppliers with 3 to 4 weeks lead-time. Anyone found U.S. suppliers who are sourcing the same side marker light at competitive pricing and perhaps free shipping?
Thanks, Leggedo

Leggedo said:
I noticed that the original eBay supplier is out of stock on the side marker light (turn signal) that you guys purchased and installed on your LEAF's. When I search eBay I find only China suppliers with 3 to 4 weeks lead-time. Anyone found U.S. suppliers who are sourcing the same side marker light at competitive pricing and perhaps free shipping?
Thanks, Leggedo
This ebay listing looks similar here; it's a couple of bucks more.

Thanks for the tip on the similar eBay listing. I called myself checking all of the listings, must have overlooked that one.
Did have a fellow MNL member contact me who had an extra set of the side marker lights and is letting me buy the set from him at original eBay pricing. Looking forward to receiving and installing them on my LEAF. Loving the car after close to a year of gas free, trouble free driving of 11,000+ miles.

Back