New J1772 standard could replace Chademo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SanDust said:
TonyWilliams said:
My 11 year old house has 200 amp service.
You're at the far end of the curve. The median house is 33 years old. Not likely you'd find 200 amp service much before 1995.

You may be correct. Our home was built in '95 and has 200 amp service.

SanDust said:
TonyWilliams said:
My 11 year old house has 200 amp service.
You're at the far end of the curve. The median house is 33 years old. Not likely you'd find 200 amp service much before 1995.
My house was built in 81 and has 200 amp service.

Conspiracy theory #1: US manufacturers want a non-CHAdeMO standard so that they 'own' it and Nissan has wasted time & money putting CHAdeMO on Leafs they already delivered here.
Conspiracy theory #2: 'Powers that be' want FUD around charging, and don't want anything to succeed so that gas vehicles maintain dominance, and no one ever gets a real standard for recharging.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1064972_this-monstrosity-will-be-your-next-electric-car-charging-plug
society-of-automotive-engineers-sae-j-1772-combo-electric-car-charging-plug_100359341_l.jpg

TEG said:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1064972_this-monstrosity-will-be-your-next-electric-car-charging-plug
society-of-automotive-engineers-sae-j-1772-combo-electric-car-charging-plug_100359341_l.jpg

To borrow an old favorite from the U.S. Auto Industry: "this technology is coming... but it's 10 -20 years away".

The SAE standard is NOT going to happen. Not because it is a bad design or doesn't make sense, have advantages, etc, but because of U.S. oil politics. Maybe in 10-20 years we can check in on it to hear that it is coming... in 10-20 years. ;)

Some might think since it is based on the old J1772, that it would be "backwards compatible". But don't those DC pins block any hope of plugging the old style portion into existing J1772 vehicles like the Leaf?

nofit.jpg

Sure, a car with the new socket could probably accept old style J1772 AC medium speed charging, but it looks like the new chargers would be DC only even though they have part of the old plug in there.

Seems like a missed opportunity to make a "universal" charging station that could do DC to new vehicles, and AC to older or less capable vehicles. For instance, I don't think you could charge a Volt or Plug-in prius with the new plug, right?

TEG said:
Seems like a missed opportunity to make a "universal" charging station that could do DC to new vehicles, and AC to older or less capable vehicles. For instance, I don't think you could charge a Volt or Plug-in prius with the new plug, right?
This plug is only for DC Quick Charging, no Level 2 service, so it wouldn't do any good being able to plug into the Leaf, Volt, or plug-in Prius.

TEG said:
Not so much. If the station supports both, might as well have a separate J1772 plug and allow it to be used at the same time that someone else quick charges.

Meh - as I discussed w/TEG on the Tesla forums - they missed the boat if a single plug can't provide both L2 and DC quick charging.

What if you get 2 L2-only cars showing up? Now you have 50 kW of charging power available but are only using a tenth of it.

Then the only thing this provides is a single socket on the car to plug in.

Yes, we want to save the DC quick charge for the time when someone can use its' full capability.
But, there may end up being some locations that don't get used so much and might have enough idle time to offer slower charging if it provided it.
Plus there is the thought that we need to evolve on the "I need to borrow the plug now" protocol so someone can come along and borrow the charge cable according to some "rules". So, theoretically someone could use a "universal" charger in slow mode, then someone else could stop by, borrow it for a quick charge, then plug it back into the slow vehicle.

Oh, and by the way, the charge rate logic would say that 3.3kW Leafs have no business typing up public J1772s that could be better used by 6.6kW vehicles. Will old Leafs be looked at negatively by 2013+ Leafs since the slow charging Leaf spends too much time parked at the EVSE?

Also should a Volt get out of the way because a Leaf is stuck if it runs out of charge but the Volt could go into gasoline mode to help out the nearly stranded Leaf? Lots to consider.

Good locations for QC (10 to 30 minutes, stay "near" the EV) are not the same as those for L1/L1/120v/240v (do something in the general area, possibly walk or take local transportation, "leave" the EV).

Eventually, there would be little use for L2 outside the "home/work" locations, and QC will be used as needed to extend range.

TEG said:
...Oh, and by the way, the charge rate logic would say that 3.3kW Leafs have no business typing up public J1772s that could be better used by 6.6kW vehicles. Will old Leafs be looked at negatively by 2013+ Leafs since the slow charging Leaf spends too much time parked at the EVSE?

Also should a Volt get out of the way because a Leaf is stuck if it runs out of charge but the Volt could go into gasoline mode to help out the nearly stranded Leaf? Lots to consider.
The only sane solution to this problem is lots and lots of charging infrastructure so that it's not a scarce resource.

Back