New Future Owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalgt

Hi all, I live in San Diego and currently drive a Toyota Prius but have been actively looking for an EV from any manufacturer including Coda, Leaf, Rav4, Focus, Spark, and the Smart ED.

I am looking at a lease at this time which limits me to the big brands so to speak and a window of late summer, early Fall (just in time for the 2013 Leaf to be on the road).
My fiance will be needing a compact/midsize SUV to move a dog and in the future kids, so I would be using my Prius as a down payment for that and leasing an EV for myself since I rarely do more than 40 miles consecutively in a day and access to a charger is not a problem for me.
The Prius has been an excellent car with no complaints but I have been looking at pure EVs since I bought my first Prius in 2008 at the age of 21 but all have been cost restrictive or unavailable until now.

socalgt said:
My fiance will be needing a compact/midsize SUV to move a dog and in the future kids, so I would be using my Prius as a down payment for that and leasing an EV for myself since I rarely do more than 40 miles consecutively in a day and access to a charger is not a problem for me.
We need to know your geographic location in order to provide input on whether the Leaf would be a good match for you. See information on early battery capacity loss in hot climates:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also what length of lease were you thinking about?

San Diego, and I only drive 20 miles one way, El Cajon to Miramar via 52 and 15 for those local...it is uphill but in the mornings the speeds rarely exceed 50

For SUV type car, there's only one choice (and likely to remain that way for a LONG time), the Rav4.

Currently $6000 off unt Feb 4, plus $7500 fed tax credit and $2500 state rebate. List price $51k-ish, effective price $35,000 plus $5000 in taxes and plates. Toyota pulls a fast one with the $7500 fed credit on a lease, so I don't recommend that.

It's hard to say what will be a a available for discounts later, except the fed tax credit. The state fund could run out of money and Toyota could get tired of promoting it with cash.

For your 40 mile commute, I'd get a $28,800 LEAF, or $199 lease. I would not consider moribund Coda. Honda Fit might me good, too, with lease only including insurance!!! For bottom price, I think the Smart ED will be king, but I don't like driving on the freeway with a current Smart. Ford is barely coasting along with the Focus, and I thought the Spark looked cheap and has an incompatible quick charger with all the current CHAdeMO infrastructure.

BMW i3 is coming, but expect high price AND incompatible quick charging. You didn't mention Mitsubishi iMiev, which will take you 40 miles and has compatible quick charging.

socalgt said:
Hi all, I live in San Diego...
Guess I should read before commenting. :oops: Sounds to me like you would be an ideal candidate for a Leaf. Personally, I wouldn't look at any other cars unless there is something about the Leaf that won't meet your needs.

socalgt said:
Hi all, I live in San Diego and currently drive a Toyota Prius but have been actively looking for an EV from any manufacturer including Coda, Leaf, Rav4, Focus, Spark, and the Smart ED.

I am looking at a lease at this time which limits me to the big brands so to speak and a window of late summer, early Fall (just in time for the 2013 Leaf to be on the road).
The Prius has been an excellent car with no complaints but I have been looking at pure EVs since I bought my first Prius in 2008 at the age of 21 but all have been cost restrictive or unavailable until now.

I recommend that you lease a 2013 with a QC port. All the others you listed have no options for QC. Nissan will soon have FREE QCs at dealerships which can make the LEAF more than just a commuter car. Also, if you lease for 36 months, you'll be eligible for a CA $2500 rebate and the $7500 FTC is taken off to reduce your payments.

I would stay away from CODA given their current financial woes. They have laid off quite a few of their staff and closed some dealerships. If they do go under, not only could you find yourself owning a car with no warranty (think what happened to owners of SAAB cars built after GM sold the company) but possibly no parts supply as well.

With the announcement of the Leaf S, I wouldn't go for the iMiEV unless Mitsubishi drops the price as well, and even then I'd much rather have a Leaf. GM would also have to drop their price make the Spark competitive with the Leaf.

^^^
Ditto re: Coda and iMiev. OP already found the Coda thread so he can look there about their layoffs and situation.
If you've test driven a Coda and then tried a Leaf, FFE, or Rav4 EV, you'd be very unimpressed w/the Coda. I test drove all of these and more at Alt Car Expo a few months ago.

Thanks all, I am leaning more towards a Leaf lease and do not qualify for the $7500 federal credit for the others. Drove a Rav4 EV, Leaf SL, Coda, Model S, Roadster, and an original Rav4. The Rav4 is the best next to the Teslas. The fact the Leaf has QC capability is part of the reason I like it and supposedly the Spark will have it too but like was said, who knows what'll be out in June or coming soon.

I looked at some used Leaf's as none of the dealers I checked with had new ones since the 2013's were coming out soon. Does the battery degradation occur more with time or miles driven/charged? Most of them had under 10k miles and were from $18,600-$22,000.

^^^
Don't qualify for the $7500 Federal tax credit? Assuming you might want to purchase, couldn't you generate some income by converting part of your IRA into a Roth IRA?

Problem w/Rav4 EV is Toyota's treatment of the tax credit, if you lease. It sucks. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=240964#p240964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

As for "The fact the Leaf has QC capability is part of the reason I like it and supposedly the Spark will have it too but like was said, who knows what'll be out in June or coming soon. " Well, Spark is going to be one of the Frankenfew using SAE J1772 combo plug (aka Frankenplug). See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=247516#p247516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I believe there are finally 2 Frankenplug stations in the US now vs. the count for CHAdeMO (which the Leaf and iMiev optionally have ports for) at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

socalgt said:
I looked at some used Leaf's as none of the dealers I checked with had new ones since the 2013's were coming out soon. Does the battery degradation occur more with time or miles driven/charged? Most of them had under 10k miles and were from $18,600-$22,000.

If you're considering used leafs check out mine which I traded in not too long ago on an RAV EV.

http://www.toyotaofelcajon.com/details/Used+2011+Nissan+Leaf%20SL+4D%20Hatchback+JN1AZ0CP5BT002270+El%20Cajon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really like the RAV but I do miss this leaf. It served me very well and I'd love to have it find a good home with a forum member here. My commute in it was from Mira Mesa area to Kearny Mesa.

It had no issues at all, full battery bars, quick charge port, etc. you could probably talk the dealer down on that price.

socalgt said:
I don't think there's a good answer yet on the battery degradation but there are several threads here where various theories are thrown around.

I hope those used prices are very negotiable. Why would anyone buy a used Leaf for $18,600+ when a new 2013 starts at $18,800? Sounds like leasing a new 2013 is your best bet, or possibly you could get a really good deal on a new 2012 lease if there are any stocked.

socalgt said:
I looked at some used Leaf's as none of the dealers I checked with had new ones since the 2013's were coming out soon.

If you're looking for a brand new SV, you are correct there are almost none left in SoCal. Per Nissan's online inventory, the only 2012 SV I found south of the Grapevine/Gaviota Pass was a Cayenne Red one at Power Nissan South Bay (Hawthorne).

There are some unsold 2012 SL's available though. Mossy seems to be completely out of unsold 2012 Leafs at all of their dealerships. But, Pacific has a Cayenne Red SL, and Quality Nissan Temecula has a Brilliant Silver one.

If you're willing to drive up to "The O.C.", Tustin (where I got my car, highly recommended) has 5 SL's with 1 Blue Ocean, and 2 each of Cayenne Red and Brilliant Silver. Connell in Costa Mesa has 3 more (all colors except black).

If you do decide to get a '12, deal very hard on the price, since the price drop on the '13's just meant the depreciation on the earlier models just got worse.

Back