New flooded nissan leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WARNING!!!! I just purchased one of these Copart / autobidmaster flooded Leafs at auction. They do NOT include the EV Li-Ion battery!!!! I'm not sure who is removing them, but they don't seem to be appearing anywhere for sale (not on ebay, or copart). You can see in the auction pics the undercarriage plastic covers are in the back seat on many of the Leafs for sale. These cover the EV traction battery and are being removed so the battery can be removed before the auction, but they don't tell you this in the auctions! I noticed some cars on the auction do not show the covers in the back seat but still do NOT have the EV battery with the car. You can kind of tell because the car sits higher without the heavy battery pack.
Also note that these were flooded with SALT WATER!!!! How do I know? the center glove box on mine is still full of salt water, even though the inside of the car is mostly dried out. The water level inside was also up to a very high level in the car. Mine shows corrosion from a water level higher than the center of the steering wheel! Don't be fooled by very clean door panels and dash. Parts of my car are amazingly spotless inside, but it is very rusted and corroded behind the panels. The electrical connectors are hard to get apart, and are corroded. Various ECU's are unrecoverable.
The traction motor gear reduction unit has a snorkel for a vent which extends up vertically, and it appears the water level exceeded the top of the snorkel, so there could be salt water inside the gear reduction (transmission) and motor. Although the car has zero miles, it came without the EVSE charger as well. I purchased an electronic OEM service manual on ebay, and although it has maybe over 1000 pages, none of the electrical wire colors are called out - so it's very hard to find what wire is what. They just give you connector pin numbers-no colors. Parts of it are poorly translated into English, so hard to understand.
The car would not roll (electric Park Brake on), so they have to be loaded and unloaded with a fork lift (which no one tells you!). The car electronics won't power up - too damaged - so you can release the PB. All the external body panels are fine, glass, wheels, tires all look new, but the electrical circuit boards are corroded. The outside of the motor, gear reduction unit, inverter, etc., are all corroded. I bought it for a motor / battery swap out into a different car, and am very disappointed about the Li-ion battery not being included. That's the most expensive part of the vehicle, and I think Copart is hiding behind their "as is" statement, which is essentially false advertising for not disclosing that 80% of the value of the vehicle is missing. They don't show any pictures of the undercarriage, so there's no way to know the battery is missing.

Cam said:
WARNING!!!! I just purchased one of these Copart / autobidmaster flooded Leafs at auction. They do NOT include the EV Li-Ion battery!!!! I'm not sure who is removing them, but they don't seem to be appearing anywhere for sale (not on ebay, or copart). You can see in the auction pics the undercarriage plastic covers are in the back seat on many of the Leafs for sale. These cover the EV traction battery and are being removed so the battery can be removed before the auction, but they don't tell you this in the auctions! I noticed some cars on the auction do not show the covers in the back seat but still do NOT have the EV battery with the car. You can kind of tell because the car sits higher without the heavy battery pack.
Also note that these were flooded with SALT WATER!!!! How do I know? the center glove box on mine is still full of salt water, even though the inside of the car is mostly dried out. The water level inside was also up to a very high level in the car. Mine shows corrosion from a water level higher than the center of the steering wheel! Don't be fooled by very clean door panels and dash. Parts of my car are amazingly spotless inside, but it is very rusted and corroded behind the panels. The electrical connectors are hard to get apart, and are corroded. Various ECU's are unrecoverable.
The traction motor gear reduction unit has a snorkel for a vent which extends up vertically, and it appears the water level exceeded the top of the snorkel, so there could be salt water inside the gear reduction (transmission) and motor. Although the car has zero miles, it came without the EVSE charger as well. I purchased an electronic OEM service manual on ebay, and although it has maybe over 1000 pages, none of the electrical wire colors are called out - so it's very hard to find what wire is what. They just give you connector pin numbers-no colors. Parts of it are poorly translated into English, so hard to understand.
The car would not roll (electric Park Brake on), so they have to be loaded and unloaded with a fork lift (which no one tells you!). The car electronics won't power up - too damaged - so you can release the PB. All the external body panels are fine, glass, wheels, tires all look new, but the electrical circuit boards are corroded. The outside of the motor, gear reduction unit, inverter, etc., are all corroded. I bought it for a motor / battery swap out into a different car, and am very disappointed about the Li-ion battery not being included. That's the most expensive part of the vehicle, and I think Copart is hiding behind their "as is" statement, which is essentially false advertising for not disclosing that 80% of the value of the vehicle is missing. They don't show any pictures of the undercarriage, so there's no way to know the battery is missing.
If they don't resolve your issue to your satisfaction, consider filing a complaint with the Attorney General in the state where they are located. "As Is" is one thing, but not disclosing that the battery is not included is a material omission that most likely violates the consumer fraud act in their state.

That has to be the worst news after spending the money. It is a misleading as hell to find out that a major component is missing without any notification. I'd talk to your payment provider and everyone in the line to see if you can get satisfaction. This just seems criminal to me that the missing pack was not disclosed. Maybe start a new thread using the auction services name so that you have their name on the web so when they rip off the next purchaser, there might be some warning during a Google search!!

Looks to me like those cars have rusty water stains on the seat cushions and backs, so even though the carpet may look OK, the water level was high. They look like they're still in the factory wrappings, so either hadn't gone to a dealer yet or hadn't been prepped yet. They are selling in the $3000 range. Hard to see getting any more than that in parts off one, so it's no bargain.

Now these things are showing up on ebay for $6k, bloody shame.

Next is these cars have been sitting around for OVER A YEAR uncleaned, even body panels become unusable with salt sitting on them that long.

If the dumb bastards would have allowed the cars to be sold what THEY ARE ACTUALLY WORTH (sub $2k) rapidly a person may have been able to recover.

But trying to sell them for so much when they are really only worth about $500 in contaminated metal (at best) is a damn damn shame.

Cheers
Ryan

Man, I would be pissed! That's like the most important part of the car and they don't mention that it is missing?! Also the EVSE is pretty important as well.

That's really sad that it is in such bad shape. Had the cars been dried out promptly and sold, they could have been restored to working condition. But if they've been sitting that long full of water, there is probably little hope.

jelloslug said:
Are these cars not from a dealership (or 10) that got flooded during Hurricane Sandy?

There were at least 20 that I am aware of, so I am uncertain where/when/who all of them came from but they have been posted at copart for a LONG time before working their way to ebay.

rmay635703 said:
jelloslug said:
Are these cars not from a dealership (or 10) that got flooded during Hurricane Sandy?

There were at least 20 that I am aware of, so I am uncertain where/when/who all of them came from but they have been posted at copart for a LONG time before working their way to ebay.
I have seen them on copart for a long long time.

I have stripped one of these cars down and have the following advice: RUN!

Unless you need body parts, and know how to repair the charger and DC/DC.

Battery pack seems to be OK. No water.

Have a look at this video from my salvage pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z9HJ9B1pVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have this pack installed in my 2011 LEAF, and it seems to work just fine. I do not have Consult, so I have not been able to reset the BMS (I installed the old BMS in the new pack). In LeafSpy the Ahr is very very slowly raising, but that might be caused by something else..

That's interesting.... I purchased one of the Copart Leaf's and the battery pack had already been removed!!! The most expensive part of the car, and of course Copart did not divulge this detail! After receiving the car and discovering the missing pack, I looked at Copart Leaf photo's and noticed the cars sit kind of high - when the heavy battery pack has been removed. Also, the flood water was salt water and was VERY deep - up to the center of the steering wheel, so ALL of the electronics inside the vehicle are completely corroded and worthless. Salt water even entered the inverter through its breather pipe. The car is only good for body panels, etc. The underside of the cars body shows no rust, but all of the aluminum casted parts show surface corrosion.

if I could get a working leaf for $1000 flood damaged. I would do so without hesitation.

First thing I would do is put it on the lift and drop the battery pack.

I would tear the battery apart and inspect the modules clean up as needed (it is 400v dc and will fry your ass good if your not careful)

take out any components I can find clean them up run some hot distilled water over everything to clean out residue (water does not ruin it the crap IN the water ruins it) then some water repellent (wd40 might even be enough???)

I am no expert but if I got it cheap enough. who cares. have fun screwing with it.

maybe convert one of my metro's to electric using the leaf drive train. MAN would that be fun or what.

or an electric boat.

man the fun I could have with a running leaf that was cheap enough that I did not care if I killed it :)

Back