New battery replacement under warranty 8yr/100k

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dot4f said:
cwerdna, I am not an owner at all :) I am considering buying a used Leaf. I want to know what I am getting into, before I get into it.
Since so many Leafs were sold here, and since there are long term range / capacity issues, it seems as if the values are deeply depressed.
Phoenix,
Since you're in blazing hot Phoenix, for the longest longevity, you want a lizard pack or want to eventually have that installed. Once your capacity warranty is over, think of the Leaf as throwaway car that you use until it no longer meets your range needs. At that point, dump for whatever you can get for it, which might not be much since replacement batteries cost (is only known for 24 kWh batteries right now) is so high.

If you get a 30+ kWh car, your capacity warranty is 8 year/100K miles and you start off w/longer range to begin with. 30 kWh batteries seem like they're worse than the 24 kWh lizard pack but I haven't followed closely.

If you care about battery longevity, you should look into EVs w/active thermal management (esp. that can engage wherever you're often stopped/parked in the heat) and a good rep for holding up in the heat.

GerryAZ,
Mark Kia does support the Kia Soul EV here. Not only do they have several (like 6 of them) for sale, they also have many other EVs - a suprusing amount of used Teslas actually. If you're looking for a dealer to support your Kia EV, this is likely the place to go in the Phoenix area. I also can confirm they have replaced replaced battery packs for others (a friend of mine had them replace their pack).

If you get a 30+ kWh car, your capacity warranty is 8 year/100K miles and you start off w/longer range to begin with. 30 kWh batteries seem like they're worse than the 24 kWh lizard pack but I haven't followed closely.

Not true according to rigorous testing in New Zealand:

Once the correction was applied, there was a close match between the energy stored in the battery as measured on the dynamometer and the energy reported by the car’s LBC, for all seven vehicles with firmware 4A. We therefore conclude that the recently available update is a genuine and accurate fix to the reporting problem identified in FTF’s March 2018 report. One can think of this correction as an improvement in the accuracy of the car’s fuel gauge, including a recalibration of how big the “tank” a Leaf has when fully charged, and the way this degrades as the car gets older....

In summary, at least part of the earlier concerns about premature decline in battery capacity in early 30 kWh Leafs has been allayed. There is clear evidence that some of the reported degradation stemmed from instrumentation error rather than reduction in the actual energy holding capacity of the batteries.

https://flipthefleet.org/2018/30-kwh-nissan-leaf-firmware-update-to-correct-capacity-reporting/

Back