Net Zero home with EVSE pre-installed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJD

The three-story, five-bedroom home at 5047 W. Ambermont Drive is the first attainable, or affordable, house in Utah that achieves a U.S. Dept. of Energy HERS (House Energy Rating System) rating of 0. A typical new home has a rating of a 100 in terms of energy efficiency (the lower the rating the better).

The full story is here.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/56671505-79/energy-homes-rating-efficient.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this non-custom, self-sufficient, solar-powered home, called The Zero Home, is one of the first production homes in the United State that can generate as much energy as it consumes.

This is also the first time I have found a new house with an EVSE already installed. Are builders in other areas doing this also ?

We have worked with two builders in San Diego who wanted to offer EVSEs to residents in their energy efficient communities. However, to my knowledge, they are just pre-wiring and will only install the EVSE when the resident needs it (and with some sort of payment). Also, the backend infrastructure has been designed and installed up front to support the full build-out complement of EVSEs.

One interesting fact....At one such rental community, there will be lighting in the garage and 240v power for the EVSE, but no 120v receptacles. They don't want people to turn the garages into "workshops"....

Randy said:
One interesting fact....At one such rental community, there will be lighting in the garage and 240v power for the EVSE, but no 120v receptacles. They don't want people to turn the garages into "workshops"....

Ha! Little do they know that there is shop equipment that runs on 240V (twiddles ends of mustache)!

pchilds said:
You can always use the ground as a neutral.

Yeah, when I heard what they were doing I thought..."That sounds like an electrical challenge just waiting to be solved".... :)

Back