NC Leaf Owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
muleferg said:
Its funny that "First in Flight" is only issued in NC. And The first manned flight was a Balloon in France Dec 1783 by the Moontgolfier Brothers . It should read "First Fixed Wing in Flight"Mule

Even that is highly contentious. Ohio also claims first in flight. And really, there were so many poised to have that first flight in 1903. Langley should have managed it in VA, but didn't quite. (And he had the misfortune to invite the gov't and press to witness his humiliation. Not a good call.)

But still, as an aero engineer, I'm happy to have that on my license plate!

Ohio Lic plate is "First In Aviation" Hey Doc I love my lic plate "First In Flight" I only stated the facts.
Other information
http://roadsidezombies.com/2010/08/25/n-c-and-ohio-the-license-plate-debate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry for getting away from Leaf information This is my last post on this .

http://www.ncairmuseum.org/news-display.php?viewid=2191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My first car. Thanks Carlos, for the Leaf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-dJbzF23c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HeHeHe

Attachments

• 4cvfront.JPG
    4cvfront.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 18
I am meeting with Senator Hagan's liaison in about 3 weeks regarding electric car issues. One of the issues I will be talking about is the need to push for quick charge installations through-out the state as we as the nation (something more near and dear to the Leaf owners than the Volt owners, but important for the cause). I obviously have a lot more to say, but if any owners have something else you want brought up when I meet, please let me know.

CarZin,
I think first of all, QC's between the main cities in NC is going to be paramount (i.e. at rest stops or similar), max 40-50 mile intervals
Charlotte
Winston Salem
Greensboro
Durham
Raleigh
After that we can address branching out :D like to the beach

Charlotte-Greensboro and Greensboro-Raleigh are probably top of the list just based on where the people are.

Corner of 40 and 77 in Statesville? Corner of 40 and 95 in Benson?

They should definitely (as others have said) install an L3 at the Alamance rest stop where they put the L2's.

I'd think you could probably sell it as helping to improve less metropolitan areas. edit: wonder if we could pitch it to local businesses there? Maybe the gov't could provide matching grants or something?

CarZin said:
I am meeting with Senator Hagan's liaison in about 3 weeks regarding electric car issues. One of the issues I will be talking about is the need to push for quick charge installations through-out the state as we as the nation (something more near and dear to the Leaf owners than the Volt owners, but important for the cause). I obviously have a lot more to say, but if any owners have something else you want brought up when I meet, please let me know.

Not every car has a QC outlet (I don't think the Volt does, does it?). So while I definitely think a network of QC's is a great idea, she might ask you about that.

Businesses that cater to folks staying their for over an hour (like malls, hotels, meeting places, hospitals and big employers) should be encouraged to install many public L2 chargers. Keep up the incentive grants! But all chargers that are installed with these federal grants should be listed on a single map so we, the public, can find them easily!! These scouting reports are fun, but shouldn't be necessary.

And be excited and thrilled to be there - they get a lot of visits from agitated people...

--Sarah

On a happy note:

I *think* all Durham public library's have their L2's operational now. I visited the two at Alston last weekend and they are on now. They put them away from the prime parking spots (smart) and also in the middle of the lot so that cars can get to them from either side (very smart), and spaced them way out with a cord that I think reaches two spaces either way (ultra smart). I am estimate about 16-20 spots will be within reach of these two chargers. A lot less likely to be ICED! Somebody put some thought into it!

I think I'll be making a lot more visits to the library....

--Sarah

sarahnc said:
CarZin said:

Not every car has a QC outlet--Sarah

sarahnc,
While it is true not every car has a QC port, I think that the key for getting EV's accepted by everyone is going to be having (hopefully) an abundance of QC (Level 3) chargers. Would YOU want to sit at a rest stop for several hours? I think not.

Oh and a question: Who is the contact or what is the URL for the progress energy program that subsidizes companies to install chargers?

I want to see if my employer can qualify. Using I-40 and running lots of weekday errands in cold temps is causing me more range-anxiety than I thought it would. ...And I'm already tired of running the extension cord to car from the loading dock L1 outside outlet plug....

I figure if I can present them with a low-cost option and I do all the paperwork, maybe they'd put one it... It can't hurt to ask!

--Sarah

coqui said:
While it is true not every car has a QC port, I think that the key for getting EV's accepted by everyone is going to be having (hopefully) an abundance of QC (Level 3) chargers. Would YOU want to sit at a rest stop for several hours? I think not.

No I don't, which is why I suggested an answer be prepared in advance because I think that question will be asked....

ICE'd again
IMAG0481.jpg

Fairly sure the Honda Odyssey is not an electric vehicle. Too bad the ground signs are gone...

On the QC port, any leaf owner without the port is not planning to do any real distance traveling in the future. I wouldn't worry about that. QC infrastructure is going to make or break popular acceptance of pure ev's.

CarZin said:

As was brought up below, let's first make sure we get our terminology straight. I think when I've spoken to you in person you've used the term quick charge to mean L2 because from the Volt's perspective that is the quickest option. But in the LEAF community when we refer to quick charging we are talking about L3 charging. We should probably stick to the terms L1, L2 and L3 for that reason.

Anyway, a succinct list of points I would want discussed (and have brought up with a few politico types I have contacted are):

1) The need to do a study of real-life range in BEVs such as the LEAF with it's "100 mile" range on NC highways to determine what the practical highway (and ideally winter time) range is. Not trying to be LEAF centric necessarily but many of the BEV's coming out now also have practically identical range to the LEAF, so that seems to be the industry standard at this point in time.
2) A prioritized list of desirable travel corridors in NC should be created. We've suggested such a list in this thread, but further traffic studies/surveys should confirm that list.
3) Knowing the results of #1 and #2 a master plan should be developed for siting charging stations along NC highways at optimal distances. Whereas I didn't initially think that it would be very practical to travel between cities in NC in a BEV such as the LEAF, I'm now of the opinion that there are probably a few key sites where L3 charging stations would be able to enable most main travel corridors (and CarZin, where there's L3 there can easily be L2 as well!)
4) Study was to incentivize businesses to install charging facilities at key locations. For example take a look at what Cracker Barrel has done in TN. Even 30 minutes is a long time to wait at a rest area but if charging stations were located at businesses such as Cracker Barrel, it could be a win win.
5) Create a fair funding model for paying for electricity. I am concerned that businesses caught in the gas station paradigm where fillups cost $50+ will assume that it's fair to charge EVs similar prices for a "fillup". I don't think we mind paying for electricity, but only at fair prices.
6) Not really related to charging, but we need to come up with state-wide (or national) standards for signage and restrictions on EV parking. But we need to be careful NOT to go overboard with this like they did in California where you can be towed if you are not actively charging. This discourages plug sharing.

Let me know if you'd like any help either preparing for the meeting or assistance at the meeting itself! Thanks!

When I am referring to quick charge, I am referring to a level 3 charger. While it does me no good as a volt owner, I know it will be really good for the cause. If I identified a L2 as a quick charge, I must have been out of it momentarily.

lpickup,
I agree with every one of your points - and they're all good points. At highway speeds, "100 mile" range is really a misnomer. So I think 40-50 miles between QC locations would be optimal. That would bring in the iMiev drivers too, I believe their range (76 miles) is somewhat less than our Leaf's.

harryjpowell said:
North Hills replaced the stickers on the ground and they obviously work.

Thats a classy looking sign they used.. hopefully they wont get oil stained :)

The Mitsubishi iMiev is EPA rated at 62 miles, the gentle Japanese cycle gives 100 miles.

My new song!

Pug It In, Plug It In
With a hundred and ten
Let the charging begin
Pug It In, Plug It In

Two forty and a four fortee
Plug it in Plug it in for a fee
Plug it in Plug it in is so nice
Just pray the charger is not ICED

Plug it In, Plug it In
Let the charging begin
Two forty, four fourty or one ten
Pug It In, Plug It In

I would say the town of North Wilkesboro.has the most charging station than any other city. Total of 48 Yes 110V which is better than no Volts at all. I remember they called as they were installing them. The town Mgr ask what I used to charge my GEM EV, I said 110V. Little did I know then I would be buying a Leaf. I've been talking to my wife (town commissioner), the mayor , and town mgr about a 240V. Maybe soon. I used this a lot over the years to top off my Gem when I would go downtown for breakfast or the bank.
Mule

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 41
That's actually really awesome Mule! Thanks for sharing, and congratulations! I think you are indeed the winner!

harryjpowell said:
Why aren't there any charging options in Chapel Hill or Carrboro? Seems to me being the home of UNC that they would be leading the way.

Why indeed? I drove to my alma mater this past weekend and found zero charging options in Chapel Hill and/or Carrboro. Things have indeed changed. Anyone have an answer or solution for this problem?

Plan your trip thru the Blue Zone with several charging stations (Bull City). They have a fast charger there at Duke . Just put on a Duke Blue Sticker and in 30 min you can make it to UNC and back home. Remember. Plan your trip. Call some one there and promote the EV charging stations. Ask them if they have charging stations. Most of the time they say whats that. Then say I am planning a trip to an event to the campus. and have an all electric car. Then you have to sell them on installing chargers. I would guess they are already will be there in the next 60 days.

Mule :mrgreen:

Back