NC Leaf Owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome link James! That's over 7.9MW of PV installed by just that company! On a nice sunny day this could simultaneously charge 2405 LEAFs!

Southern Energy Management is our local Sun Power dealer (remember the announcement Nissan made about partnering with Sun Power to provide LEAF owners solar charging options?). I've already contacted them about a Solar Lease plan thru Sun Power, but unfortunately, they don't offer lease plans. Shannon at SEM indicated they are working with a couple of finance companies and hopefully will be able to provide this as an option soon. She will contact me back when they have everything in place and set.

From what I understand, you will be able to get a Sun Power solar system installed on a lease plan with $0 money down, and a lease payment that is less then your monthly electric bill. You decide how much of your power you want to be green based on the size system you get. Depending on your roof, you can get a system that could produce up to 115% of you power consumption. The system is tied to your two-way meter with no batteries, so you still pull from the grid, but you sell your solar to the grid to off-set.

I'm not an expert by any means, but it really appealed to me. Spend less a month, provide green power for my car and home, sell excess to the grid.

http://www.carid.com/wood-dash-kits.html?gclid=CNWDjMfn3K0CFcZM4AodLzlENQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pimp Your Ride :mrgreen:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000012365914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More photos

Mule

Attachments

• IMG_9104.JPG
    IMG_9104.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9086.jpg
    IMG_9086.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 33
North Hills charging stations are now operational!

Photo0230.jpg

Other than 2 lights (one indicating power to the unit and the other indicating it's actually charging you) there are no other displays on these units. No card is required. Worked like a charm. Nice green stripes marking the spots and curb (although would be more effective if the whole spot was painted green, but at least it is set off somehow). I had to move a cone to park there, either because the paint was wet or because they are trying to get people used to not parking there.

The signage is pretty good (sorry, it's hard to take pictures of reflective signs at night). It says ELECTRIC VEHICLE PARKING ONLY (see the picture on the North Hills Facebook page).

The only complaint I have with these charging stations is that they were placed right next to each other. I would have preferred to see them spaced at least a space apart (with an empty space between them) but parking is probably at a premium there and they didn't want to take up more than the 2 spots.

Let's hope they don't get ICEd! Other than that, great evening down at North Hills. Hope to see lots of people there on Saturday for the ribbon cutting!

Nice picture Lance. I'm planning to stop by there tomorrow evening to grab a beer at the Fox&Hound. See you guys Sat morning.

Hi,

A friend of mine who lives in Raleigh and works at AKC near the airport told me she saw four LEAFs parked in a row right opposite her work building. All but one had dealer tags. There were two L2 charging statios there as well. Anyone care to own up to them? :) :) :)

Cheers, Bert

kg4bec said:
Hi,

A friend of mine who lives in Raleigh and works at AKC near the airport told me she saw four LEAFs parked in a row right opposite her work building. All but one had dealer tags. There were two L2 charging statios there as well. Anyone care to own up to them? :) :) :)

Cheers, Bert

I know one of those guys (he's popped in here before but since he just got his LEAF I think he's out enjoying it!) The charging stations (there are actually 5 of them!) are in the Qualcomm parking lot near AKC. I believe altogether there are 5 people there that just got their LEAFs through the Advanced Energy program.

Altogether, as previously mentioned, there were FORTY new LEAFs just delivered to their owners in the Triangle!

Just returned home from the North Hills charging station ribbon cutting ceremony. Very nice turnout and it was great to meet so many of you.

One thing I've been meaning to do is mention that another LEAF owner started a Triangle-centric LEAF Fan page on Facebook: Research Triangle Park Nissan LEAF Fan Club. I don't think he's a member here, and it sounds like some people here don't know about the Facebook page.

So: MyNissanLEAF forum, meet Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Research-Triangle-Park-Nissan-LEAF-Fan-Club/158869220886164
Facebook page: meet MyNissanLEAF.com!

The Facebook page is nice because it does allow us to share events and photos specifically with a Triangle slant and not clog up the whole NC thread with endless details about things happening around here. Not to worry though, this is also a great place to hang out--I know I'm not going anywhere!

Thanks, Lance. Hadn't found that Facebook page! I'm sorry I missed you guys on Saturday. I had to take my son to the train station. :(

lpickup said:
Just returned home from the North Hills charging station ribbon cutting ceremony. Very nice turnout and it was great to meet so many of you.

One thing I've been meaning to do is mention that another LEAF owner started a Triangle-centric LEAF Fan page on Facebook: Research Triangle Park Nissan LEAF Fan Club. I don't think he's a member here, and it sounds like some people here don't know about the Facebook page.

So: MyNissanLEAF forum, meet Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Research-Triangle-Park-Nissan-LEAF-Fan-Club/158869220886164
Facebook page: meet MyNissanLEAF.com!

The Facebook page is nice because it does allow us to share events and photos specifically with a Triangle slant and not clog up the whole NC thread with endless details about things happening around here. Not to worry though, this is also a great place to hang out--I know I'm not going anywhere!

Hi all,

I was the red Volt owner at the event. I hope you don't mind a Volt owner crashing your thread ;)

I wanted to share the response I received from Cameron Village on charging stations:

"Hi Ryan,
We’ve been talking about it and planning to install sometime after the completion of the Oberlin Road residential project. Right now, parking is at a premium in the Village, and once the residential is completed we will have back the spaces we lost plus additional. We hope to be able to accommodate the “plug ins” at that time.
Thanks,
"

So looks

CarZin said:
Hi all,

I was the red Volt owner at the event. I hope you don't mind a Volt owner crashing your thread ;)

Not at all! It was nice to meet you Ryan. There's plenty of room here for Volt owners--we certainly have a common interest!

Sounds like you got a more optimistic response than I got w.r.t Cameron Village, even though it's still not "positive". It is true that parking is at a premium in that locale, but it's also true that Raleigh does not currently allow parking spots to be reserved specifically for EVs, so technically there would be no net loss of parking spots if they installed charging stations (although we would probably find them ICEd out). It might also be worthwhile pointing out that if they act soon, Progress Energy will foot part of the bill for the charging station and install like they are doing for other shopping centers like North Hills, but eventually that fund will dry up and the commercial establishments will be on their own to install charging stations.

We'll North hills appears to have done an excellent job on the signage. I went there just after high noon and both were un-obstructed!

IMAG0467.jpg

What great green carpet!!
IMAG0468.jpg

And flawless Eaton EVSE's
IMAG0469.jpg

Hope other malls follow suit!

Yeah, it helps that the manager of the property (or owner- the gentleman that seemed to be in charge) is a new Leaf owner. He actually gets it.

I went to the Bill Cosby show on Saturday and was able to get a full charge between dinner and the show on Carr street. Not to mention free parking. I was quite pleased. My wife gets annoyed, however, when I check the car's charge level during dinner ;)

jbowman3 said:
Nice picture Lance. I'm planning to stop by there tomorrow evening to grab a beer at the Fox&Hound. See you guys Sat morning.

You took my space! :)

I went to North Hills Mall on Friday evening and both spots were taken! Good thing I had enough range to get home.

kg4bec said:
Hi,

Cheers, Bert

I know all about them and one of the white ones is mine. There are actually 7 Nissan Leafs now! They are all part of Advanced Energy's usage study. I have been meaning to get a picture and post that here. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Also, those chargers are free, at least for now. The chargers are technically on Qualcomm property, but anyone can access them. During the week (M-F 9-5) the level 2 chargers are all in use. We are currently working out the best way to share the 5 level-2 chargers among 7 users. If you really need a charge during the weekday just come to the front door and ask, the receptionist can easily get in touch with one of us to get you a charger. There are also 5 level-1 chargers, but no-one wants the hassle of using those, except for the guy with the electric motorcycle. On nights and weekends feel free to come by and use them. Brier Creek shopping center is about 100 yards away. You will need a ChargePoint card to use the charger, but it won't charge you a fee.

BTW, those 5 charging stations were the first level 2 chargers in North Carolina. They have been installed and operational for over a year! As a Qualcomm employee I have been very impressed with how committed the company is to renewable and sustainable energy. In San Diego we have four photo-voltaic installations for a total of 441 kW. In addition, Qualcomm installed a 4.3 megawatt Mercury 50 gas turbine paired with a 1,320 ton Broad absorption chiller, one of the most efficient, lowest emissions combined heat and power systems currently available. This natural gas turbine was the first of its kind installed in the U.S.

I am actually starting to go back and forth with the Cameron Village individual. Standard questions about who pays, how much does it cost to charge an electric car, etc... Trying to get them informed so they can participate with Progress Energy.

Back