NASHVILLE TENNESSEE - LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPWhite said:
ralphmc said:
Looks like they, VU haven't made enough money on the new trend yet, at this point I will not support these jerks, so hopefully the rest of you Leaf owners will follow not to support people like this.

Ralph

They're charging for the parking not the electric. At those rates I don't know how a student could use them at all. I don't see how *I* could use them at all :)

Vandy do have some free ones on 21st avenue. I put those into plugshare.

JPWhite is correct, ralphmc. The $1 per half hour fee is for the parking, NOT the electricity. Even gas-cars pay the same rate. Parking on Vanderbilt campus is a pain. As a student, it was $300-400 a year for a parking permit which DOESN'T guarantee a spot. That price may have gone up or down since I've been there (almost certainly up) and I know that staff has to pay for parking too ($36/month for a lot-pass near Belcourt).

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2011/11/ev-charging-stations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article actually states that parking at Pierce/21st and Dixie Place are FREE for EVs with a two-hour limit.

Again, this doesn't seem to be an attempt by Vanderbilt to make money off EV drivers, rather, their typical parking situation!

On the plus side, since VU parking is pretty strict AND they have good signage, I doubt those spots will get ICE'd!

I biked over to CB at Stewarts Ferry. A fellow was finishing the painting of the safety posts on the QC. He said it is ready to go. Utility has to energize that's all. So we should be seeing a working QC there soon. Station has 2 QC and one L2.

On the subject of charging; how long is your Leaf taking to charge on your L2 charger at home? the most I have charged is 4 hours(80% chrge).

Vin 4821
1645 miles

fishfool said:
I biked over to CB at Stewarts Ferry. A fellow was finishing the painting of the safety posts on the QC. He said it is ready to go. Utility has to energize that's all. So we should be seeing a working QC there soon. Station has 2 QC and one L2.

On the subject of charging; how long is your Leaf taking to charge on your L2 charger at home? the most I have charged is 4 hours(80% chrge).

Vin 4821
1645 miles

Great news about the QC at CB. That one is strategic for many places I want to go to south of Nashville.

As for charge times at home, I typically plug in around 5:30pm and its all done before 9pm. I use about 50% of a charge commuting back and forth from work. The often quoted charge time for L2 being 8 hours is the worst case scenario, for most owners it's much less. Ford will try and emphasize the 8 hour LEAF L2 charge time when comparing to the Fusion EV. Unless you really need a big charge, L2 suffices in most cases, and when not we LEAF drivers have QC ports :)

Can't wait to dust off my QC port and use it!!!
In regards to home charging, I don't have mine on a timer as I don't charge every day but I don't think I have had a charge time exceed 5 hours. I have wondered about that quoted 8 hour charge...I have run mine down pretty low (< 10 miles left on guess-o-meter) and charge to 100% and have never come close to 8 hours.
By the way, I have had the car since Sept. 4th, I am at about 2100 miles, and it has cost $33 so far....

Eleafgrrl said:
I am at about 2100 miles, and it has cost $33 so far....

You have really low electric rates, in Hendersonville we have NES and it costs me about $30 per month to do 1,100 miles. Still pretty cheap, but you have me beat hands down :)

JPWhite said:
Eleafgrrl said:

You have really low electric rates, in Hendersonville we have NES and it costs me about $30 per month to do 1,100 miles. Still pretty cheap, but you have me beat hands down :)

Nashville Electric Service (NES) rate for Brentwood $0.09156 per kWhr.

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
Nashville Electric Service (NES) rate for Brentwood $0.09156 per kWhr.

Dave

Same here in Hendersonville. I may have my employer talked into installing an EVSE (fingers and toes crossed). If they go ahead they plan to charge for using them, however Gallatin City electric rates are lower, at $0.07605, so it would pay me to charge at work instead of home :)

Eleafgrrl said:

In regards to home charging, I don't have mine on a timer as I don't charge every day but I don't think I have had a charge time exceed 5 hours. I have wondered about that quoted 8 hour charge...I have run mine down pretty low (< 10 miles left on guess-o-meter) and charge to 100% and have never come close to 8 hours.
By the way, I have had the car since Sept. 4th, I am at about 2100 miles, and it has cost $33 so far....

What has been figured out is that anything on the GOM (guess-o-meter) is in relation to 21kW of use-able power in the battery back. So if the GOM says 0 (or --) miles left, you technically have a small reserve of charge. And the other power is just not useable (to avoid overcharge and 100% discharge).

So the original time estimate to charge, I believe, is based on the TOTAL pack of 24kW. (MAX charge input of 3.3kWh) So best case from 100% depleted 24/3.3 = 7.3 hours. (I think they assumed conservative values 3kWh charging and did 24kW/3kWh = 8 hours)

I have seen the same thing, Eleafgrrl, with <10 miles left on the GOM, it took just over 5 hours to charge. And typically when I plug in at night, I have about 2 bars left shown, so it takes even less time than that.

What type of miles/kWh figures are you getting? I also have an electricity rate of 9 cent/kWh and I've been keeping track of total kWh used (shown on the Blink). I take readings every month and record the total kWh and mileage on my car. At the end of October, I was sitting at 4.6m/kWh (Lifetime Wall to wheels). So it's costs me less than 2 cents per mile driven! Almost a factor of ten better than a 20mpg car (~20 cents per mile).
Your figure of $33/2100 miles = 1.57 cents/mile is pretty good. (Doing some reverse math, if you have a rate of 9 cent/kWh and $33 is your true cost to go 2100 miles, you've gotten 5.7 m/kWh Wall to Wheels.... that's amazing if accurate)

I guess Leaf owners realize that Nissan has been very conservative on the charging time specs. I have 1645 miles and have spent about $29. I guess that amounts to 1.7¢/mile. I used the figures from Carwings. Does Carwings record all charging? I am averaging 6.2/kwh.

I charged briefly today at CB on Sidco Dr I-65 & Harding. One of the Blink pedestals is malfunctioning. It is stuck in an endless loop of announcing that the Blink card can not be read. I will send Jeremy(Ecotality) an email. I charged at the other pedestal sucessfully.

Vin 4821

fishfool said:
I guess Leaf owners realize that Nissan has been very conservative on the charging time specs. I have 1645 miles and have spent about $29. I guess that amounts to 1.7¢/mile. I used the figures from Carwings. Does Carwings record all charging? I am averaging 6.2/kwh.

I charged briefly today at CB on Sidco Dr I-65 & Harding. One of the Blink pedestals is malfunctioning. It is stuck in an endless loop of announcing that the Blink card can not be read. I will send Jeremy(Ecotality) an email. I charged at the other pedestal sucessfully.

Vin 4821

CarWings is not that reliable. I use the values of the Blink charger every month and keep a record in a spreadsheet. you're welcome to a copy of my spreadsheet should you wish to track stats in detail. http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2011/09/05/on-track-to-save-10000-in-fuel/

BTW your Vin number can included in your profile data that shows on each post. Go to user control panel, then profile, the 'LEAF Number' can be supplied along with other data you are wiling to share.

JPWhite said:
Eleafgrrl said:

My utility company is CEMC (Cumberland Electric Membership Corporation) and our rate is .0649600/kWh. My house is all electric and my bills have not gone up at all since I got the Leaf but I attribute that to the new hybrid electric water heater that we installed, the savings with that have averaged $30 month. My October bill was $122. Irregardless of electric rates, it is still WAY cheaper than a tank of gas. I spent $128 in gas for the Titan (2 tanks) for that quick trip to Madison, AL. last Saturday. I saw on the news yesterday that they expect gas to hit $4.50 by spring..Between there being virtually no maintenance, the low cost of charging and being early adopters who are able to take advantage of the EV Project (no cost for chargers and, for now, free charging at public chargers) plus, the state and federal incentives, I feel like it is a STEAL to have one of these cars!!!

TNleaf said:
Eleafgrrl said:

What has been figured out is that anything on the GOM (guess-o-meter) is in relation to 21kW of use-able power in the battery back. So if the GOM says 0 (or --) miles left, you technically have a small reserve of charge. And the other power is just not useable (to avoid overcharge and 100% discharge).

So the original time estimate to charge, I believe, is based on the TOTAL pack of 24kW. (MAX charge input of 3.3kWh) So best case from 100% depleted 24/3.3 = 7.3 hours. (I think they assumed conservative values 3kWh charging and did 24kW/3kWh = 8 hours)

I have seen the same thing, Eleafgrrl, with <10 miles left on the GOM, it took just over 5 hours to charge. And typically when I plug in at night, I have about 2 bars left shown, so it takes even less time than that.

What type of miles/kWh figures are you getting? I also have an electricity rate of 9 cent/kWh and I've been keeping track of total kWh used (shown on the Blink). I take readings every month and record the total kWh and mileage on my car. At the end of October, I was sitting at 4.6m/kWh (Lifetime Wall to wheels). So it's costs me less than 2 cents per mile driven! Almost a factor of ten better than a 20mpg car (~20 cents per mile).
Your figure of $33/2100 miles = 1.57 cents/mile is pretty good. (Doing some reverse math, if you have a rate of 9 cent/kWh and $33 is your true cost to go 2100 miles, you've gotten 5.7 m/kWh Wall to Wheels.... that's amazing if accurate)

I am somewhere in the 4-4.8m/kWh range, depending on who is driving....

Dang! I was going up 41 from I-65 the other day and passed a blue Honda with Robertson County plates that had the license plate I had wanted to get: "PASSGAS"

JPWhite said:
fishfool said:

Vin 4821

CarWings is not that reliable. I use the values of the Blink charger every month and keep a record in a spreadsheet. you're welcome to a copy of my spreadsheet should you wish to track stats in detail. http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2011/09/05/on-track-to-save-10000-in-fuel/

BTW your Vin number can included in your profile data that shows on each post. Go to user control panel, then profile, the 'LEAF Number' can be supplied along with other data you are wiling to share.

JP, I tried to look back further than October on the Blink and couldn't. How can I access my stats from September?

Eleafgrrl said:
JP, I tried to look back further than October on the Blink and couldn't. How can I access my stats from September?

The Blink keep current month and previous month statistics. I'm not aware of a way to go back any further. I started out keeping the stats, so it works for me.

Maybe worth an email to blinknetworks, I find they are responsive to emails. They get data uploaded routinely, not sure if they capture what you will need or not or are able or willing to assist you further. Always worth asking the question IMHO.

Stopped by Cracker Barrel for lunch today (turkey and dressing... yummm!) and got almost 30 minutes of free charging. (gained a little more than 1 bar, 11miles on the GOM).

When we showed up I noticed the brand new EV signs. Still no verbage as to "EV parking only" or anything of that nature, but since both spots were opened when I got there (and it was pretty busy), I'm assuming they are doing the job. When we left, there was a huge SUV parked in the other EV spot... so obviously some people are going to be oblivious or don't care.

Ad6F5gCCIAAWp0R.jpg

TNleaf said:
Stopped by Cracker Barrel for lunch today (turkey and dressing... yummm!) and got almost 30 minutes of free charging. (gained a little more than 1 bar, 11miles on the GOM).

When we showed up I noticed the brand new EV signs. Still no verbage as to "EV parking only" or anything of that nature, but since both spots were opened when I got there (and it was pretty busy), I'm assuming they are doing the job. When we left, there was a huge SUV parked in the other EV spot... so obviously some people are going to be oblivious or don't care.

Ad6F5gCCIAAWp0R.jpg

Which CB did you go by? Sidco Dr? They do seem to have picked spots that don't get ice'd too often.

So Ralph, yourself and myself have all seen cars park 'in the other spot' while we were charging. SUV's seem to like doing this.

Enjoy the free charge while you can get it, I believe they will start charging come the new year.

This was at Sam Ridley in Smyrna. Of the 3 times we've gone there and charged, there has been at least 1 spot ICE'd.

These spots are also pretty prime spaces, so it's no wonder they are getting taken.

I've heard someone else post that come the new year Blink will start charging money. Depending on the rates, I won't mind. I WILL mind if I have to pay AND fight for a spot to charge because of ICEing.

I'll have to look into this more, but I recall hearing that if a company is NOT an electric utility/distributor, it is not LEGAL for them for charge for electricity. The loophole would be, they CAN charge for the parking space. "Charge for free, pay to park" approach like at the Vanderbilt Parking garage (where ICE cars have to pay the same price for parking too).

TNleaf said:
I'll have to look into this more, but I recall hearing that if a company is NOT an electric utility/distributor, it is not LEGAL for them for charge for electricity. The loophole would be, they CAN charge for the parking space. "Charge for free, pay to park" approach like at the Vanderbilt Parking garage (where ICE cars have to pay the same price for parking too).

Ah OK. That makes more sense now. I've seen some places wanting to charge 'by the hour' which is less favorable to a LEAF owner vs a Tesla owner due to the rating/speed of the charger. Always thought it was a 'odd way' to charge, but if it is illegal to sell electric then that would explain why they don't want to do it that way. Parking is often charged by time, so it now makes perfect sense to me.

This also raises the question, if the charge is for 'parking only' how will they collect the parking fee from ICE vehicles that choose to ICE the spot? They can keep up with/charge EV owners through the RFID cards, but if they only 'charge for parking' based upon a successful EVSE activation, I think the argument could be made they are in fact selling electric. The legal veil would easily be pierced IMHO.

Back