My list of things I'd like to see changed on the Gen 2 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mogur said:
The numb, over-boosted steering is still the number one thing I do not like about the driving experience of the car. I thought I might get used to it but I have not; it annoys me every time I get behind the wheel. It reminds me of a 60s/70s American Luxobarge.

This should be an easy thing to fix in software. Hopefully someone, if not Nissan, will do so!

EVDRIVER said:
I have to admit the steering is really starting to bug me and its FAR to sensitive.

There are a couple ways to do this mod but it would be better if Nissan did this. I would go as far to say the steering is a bit of a hazard, any quick movement or reaction causes an oversteering as it is so sensitive it is jerky at higher speeds. I would not call just call it numb I would call it extremely over boosted to the point it makes the car feel cheap and completely disconnected and IMO a bit dangerous in some situations where people will overcompensate on accident. I am really shocked at why they did this and I keep thinking this car was intended for Japan first and then rushed to the US market without the proper changes, there are so many things that scream that. I really hope the dopes at Nissan fix this, making it even a bit firmer will make the car feel so much better and more in control and perceptually higher quality. When do I get my owner survey from Nissan! I have never owned are car that needs the steering changed, a new horn, a better factory radio, seat covers, and so many other upgrades just to get it to where it should have been as a base model $25K car, EV or not.

planet4ever said:
Move the shift control to the dashboard, like the Prius.Twice already my hand has tried to find something there and ended up turning on the windshield wipers. Moving that would have two other effects: (1) make the reverse/forward positions seem less illogical, and (2) leave room for a much larger console box.

Incidentally, my wife pulled up on the parking brake lever thinking it was a way to open the console box. I agree that the brake interface is very badly designed.

Ray

I really like the handbreak. it is the same as in my Audi. I find it very intuitional; pull up to set, push down to release.

Ditto the gear mouse. I run mostly in ECO and hit it as a downshift when I want oomph getting on the freeway or passing.
nicely placed and easy to use. if it were on the dashboard, it would be much more inconcenient.

I also highly endorse these, which were suggested up thread:

"2. The steering column does not adjust in and out, just up and down. My wife and I are long legged , and we end up driving the car like we are driving a Fiat. The "arms out" method is fine for old Italian cars, but not a modern car.

"3. The drivers arm rest is too low for the tall seating in the car."

No definitely DO NOT put the shifter where the Prius is.

I love downshifting into normal mode for a quick boost. It was my favorite thing to do during my test drives... now if only I'll get my actual car.

Yeah, perhaps I was being too nice!

EVDRIVER said:
mogur said:
The numb, over-boosted steering is still the number one thing I do not like about the driving experience of the car. I thought I might get used to it but I have not; it annoys me every time I get behind the wheel. It reminds me of a 60s/70s American Luxobarge.

This should be an easy thing to fix in software. Hopefully someone, if not Nissan, will do so!

EVDRIVER said:
I have to admit the steering is really starting to bug me and its FAR to sensitive.

There are a couple ways to do this mod but it would be better if Nissan did this. I would go as far to say the steering is a bit of a hazard, any quick movement or reaction causes an oversteering as it is so sensitive it is jerky at higher speeds. I would not call just call it numb I would call it extremely over boosted to the point it makes the car feel cheap and completely disconnected and IMO a bit dangerous in some situations where people will overcompensate on accident. I am really shocked at why they did this and I keep thinking this car was intended for Japan first and then rushed to the US market without the proper changes, there are so many things that scream that. I really hope the dopes at Nissan fix this, making it even a bit firmer will make the car feel so much better and more in control and perceptually higher quality. When do I get my owner survey from Nissan! I have never owned are car that needs the steering changed, a new horn, a better factory radio, seat covers, and so many other upgrades just to get it to where it should have been as a base model $25K car, EV or not.

Maybe I'm missing something but I find it far faster and easier to just press down further on the accelerator. There is no more power available in D than in ECO, it just comes deeper in the the pedal travel...

thankyouOB said:
Ditto the gear mouse. I run mostly in ECO and hit it as a downshift when I want oomph getting on the freeway or passing.
nicely placed and easy to use. if it were on the dashboard, it would be much more inconcenient.

mogur said:
Maybe I'm missing something but I find it far faster and easier to just press down further on the accelerator. There is no more power available in D than in ECO, it just comes deeper in the the pedal travel...

thankyouOB said:

agreed. i think it is a manual-shift muscle memory that makes me feel connected to the drama of driving with a capital D.

I don't have a problem with the "core car functionality" - in fact as a car it's great. Even the highly boosted steering is okay by me - it's speed-sensitive, so it's only highly boosted at slow speed when it's kinda helpful. But Carwings is a huge joke. If Nissan simply did away with all the computerized gimmicks they'd have a totally awesome vehicle. As it is, the software is so crappy I try to ignore it. I guess whoever programmed their website also programmed the car's touchscreen computer and the Carwings service? :roll: (For a little perspective, this is coming from someone who typically enjoys computerized gizmos - so, yes, it's even worse than it sounds.)

I agree with most of the suggestions here, but I like the height of the armrests and I think ECO mode is unnecessary. I find that I just end up pushing harder on the accelerator and less on the brake and get no ECO benefit from it, anyway. Once I adjust my driving style to the feel of the pedals the miles left indicator drops back to where it was in normal mode.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone comment on the second timer. I don't like having to designate a day of the week for timer 2. I want to be able to set one that just goes 1 or 2 hours and then stops, regardless of what day of the week it is or time of day. If I just put it in cancel timer mode and plug it in, it may charge to 100% and may draw more power during peak TOU rate hours than I want.

I gotta disagree on this one! It is way too over-boosted, numb, and lacking of on-center feel even at 65! Easily the worst steering feel of any car I have driven in the last two decades. I get back in my Acura or BMW or even the truck and just smile at the difference...

johnr said:
Even the highly boosted steering is okay by me - it's speed-sensitive, so it's only highly boosted at slow speed when it's kinda helpful.

I completely agree on the poor feel of the steering when driving the LEAF. It has no feel of the road at all. I do wonder if it is in part a result of the weight distribution from the batteries. The only other time I drove a car with this type of feel, I had a trunk overloaded with bricks.

Cinnabar said:
I completely agree on the poor feel of the steering when driving the LEAF. It has no feel of the road at all. I do wonder if it is in part a result of the weight distribution from the batteries. The only other time I drove a car with this type of feel, I had a trunk overloaded with bricks.

It is because the car was tuned for the Japanese market. The EPS is over boosted and a simple change would make it much better. Add it to the list of the many stupid things they did on the LEAF to make it feel like a detached, cheap car. It's the worst steering I have felt on a modern Japanese car. I wonder what clueless person at Nissan thought this was a good idea.

Drnel said:
6) solar panel the entire roofline.

In addition to solar panel the entire roof line (which should theoretically generate ~1kW peak power on it's 2.5 square meter roof), I'd like the ability to tap into this power to either charge the battery or maintain the core battery temperature in summer/winter. This will also make it feasible to leave the car parked outside without draining all the battery when I go on long business trips.

I'll gladly pay $3~4k for that feature.

Nope, it's just a very poor algorithm in the electric power steering... It could easily be fixed with just a software tweak, but Nissan would have to acknowledge the issue and want to rectify it, something they don't seem to be inclined to do....

Cinnabar said:

Okay, I's missing something on the "poor steering". My LEAF is used 90+% in town driving, 40 mph or less - just to qualify my type of driving.

I really like the feel of the steering. It is quick, agile and requires little effort and makes parallel parking a snap. I am missing the"touchy-feely" thing that is being complained about. Please enlighten me as to what it is I am missing.

Yes, this is a serious request.

BLUEH20 said:
Okay, I's missing something on the "poor steering". My LEAF is used 90+% in town driving, 40 mph or less - just to qualify my type of driving.

I really like the feel of the steering. It is quick, agile and requires little effort and makes parallel parking a snap. I am missing the"touchy-feely" thing that is being complained about. Please enlighten me as to what it is I am missing.

Yes, this is a serious request.

Actually, very low speed (i.e parking) power assist is great! The issue is that level of assist is linear across the entire range of driving conditions including highway speeds. This yields very low road feel and in some conditions arguably dangerous driving dynamics. For example, at 60 mph, moderate steering input yields significant vehicle turning.

Most power assisted steering cars have variable steering assist which is inversely related to vehicle speed. High boost for parking, low assist at speed.

Slightly longer rear seatbelt buckle. Passenger rear seat belt is very difficult to buckle because receiver gets sucks below height of seat.

Back