My Leaf roll back and almost kill a kid!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, it sounds like a classic master cylinder failure to me...

RegGuheert said:
There is new firmware available for the braking system in the LEAF which addresses the brakes being grabby. I wonder if it also addresses this issue.

derkraut said:
Just call me a bit "over-skeptical": OP's first post, strange grammar; hard to believe description of a problem????? I take his post with a grain of salt. :? :?

My grammar is not great but I'm a real person driving the Leaf! I have my car for 18 months and put 23,700 miles. I have lost sleep on this brake issue and concern 1 day I’m going kill someone or somebody else. To overcome this problem now I just start my car then I remove my foot from the brake let it register the brake position while my foot is not on the brake. After that I never have a Reverse problem rolling. It’s not a funny issue when my wife got scream at and I have experience the roll. I took a day off today to bring to Nissan Steven Creeks bay areas! They gave me a loaner car and keep it for few days. Also I have many more issue on this car that I have been taking picture of all events. If those wish to see those pictures drop me an email.
Also when I park the car on an uneven pavement in parking lot. The car locks up and you can’t press the foot brake pedal. Therefore you can’t start the car. After 20 minutes and pressing the brake hard, it release to the floor. I then turn the screen off then press the brake again and car started.
I can duplicate this problem many times. When I pull into a park lot with uneven pavement in the front wheels. The driver front wheel high off by 3-6inch and right wheel sink into hole offset by 3-6 inch. So imagine the pavement push 3 inch high and other side 3 inch hole…pavement is displace. Once I turn off the engine. The car roll into a lock once I released the brake pedal. After workout in gym, come back out the car won’t start. It asks me press brake to start my car but my foot is on the brake. The pedal brake is just hard it lock therefore the computer can’t register the pedal being press. Stuck for 20 minutes. Then I press start while foot on the brake but only screen turn on and lighted up red errors. Asking me press brake but it lock hard. Then I pull the parking brake to engage. Once engage I try a few more time. Finally the pedal brake depresses then computer register that my foot is on the brake and it let me start…uggggg. Happen so many times so now I try to find a parking space on even pavement.
Last night it happens again. This time the computer screen comes on and said key not detected! Also my brake is not press. Once again it locks up. So since I know the trick I let computer set then it let me access the parking brake I pull and set it on. Sit and wait and foot brake release I then press and bam the car start since it detected my brake is press.
So what I’m going conclude is brake lock then you can’t press start since brake is not register. Therefore Nissan Leaf software should just override the brake and activate the parking brake. This way the foot brake can be press instead stuck in lock mode! It does this thinking once you stop your car turn off and when you release your foot from brake pedal it roll it lock up. Therefore next time you try to press the brake and start it won’t let you. Sorry for grammar but these issues are real, I got tons of pictures. Also why computer turn on and said key not detected…uuugggg. The computer screen turn on therefore my key is detected…uggggg. Other message Check Transmission lots of message. I just want Nissan to solve these brake issues and roll lock up and car can’t start since it doesn’t register your foot on the brake pedal. Once the car roll brake lock and you can’t press foot brake again it won't let you start!
For record I love my LEAF. I’ll drive it every day! It’s best car ever made! I’m 100% satisfy but roll on reverse scare the **** out of me!!! Now I just start remove my foot from brake then press brake again and reverse then it never roll! Work 100%. I’m just helping out for Nissan to serious look into my car and other too shares!

Braking systems can and do fail it can happen to any vehicle. I'd agree with previous posters it sounds like a mechanical problem. The brakes are hydraulic. Fluid is incompressible. So for the pedal to suddenly go to the floor would indicate either a leak, air in the system, or master/slave cylinder are not able to maintain pressure. Or, perhaps a failure of the mechanical linkage between the pedal and the master cylinder?

As far as parking brake, a good old-fashioned cable system has the advantage of being familiar to almost everyone. Glad I ran across this thread and now I will take time to "play" with the emergency brake function to get familiar with it. Always a good idea with any car to try everything but I admit I never tried this. Did wonder about performing a "handbrake turn"... :)

I wonder if hitting the park button will activate while car is in motion? Not sure I will try that one though; might come at the expense of some damage to the pawl mechanism. But worth a try if nothing else is working!

oscar: My bet is you will need a new master cylinder. All of the problems you're describing can be traced back to that one way or another.

Take it back to the dealer (preferably by flatbed - shouldn't be driving around with wonky brakes!) If you can repeat the issue reliably, make sure you demonstrate it for one of the technicians so they understand the problem.

Also, in the meantime, check the brake fluid level... just out of curiosity.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
oscar: My bet is you will need a new master cylinder. All of the problems you're describing can be traced back to that one way or another.

=Smidge=

I agree on the master cylinder. Not that I know much about vehicle braking systems, but I have had this same problem on a vehicle! The brakes would start to grab as I applied them approaching a stop sign/light, then suddenly sink all the way to the floor and I would just go rolling through through the stop. :shock:

Still have nightmares to this day. There is nothing like being unable to stop 2000 lbs of metal that you're responsible for.

oscar said:
Other message Check Transmission lots of message.
That seems like a strange message for a car without a transmission. Given the strange problems you have with the key, no start, the transmission messages, etc., it sounds like your car may be having problems communicating over one of its CAN busses. Who knows what types of problems that could lead to? Maybe even the brake pedal moving to the floor.

I think I would take this car back to the dealer until they either fix the problems or replace the car.

RegGuheert said:
oscar said:
Other message Check Transmission lots of message.
That seems like a strange message for a car without a transmission. Given the strange problems you have with the key, no start, the transmission messages, etc., it sounds like your car may be having problems communicating over one of its CAN busses. Who knows what types of problems that could lead to? Maybe even the brake pedal moving to the floor.

I think I would take this car back to the dealer until they either fix the problems or replace the car.

I would like to see a picture of the code.

If there was any catastrophic failure such as being described here, the car would store trouble codes, which would allow a proper diagnosis.

If the ABS activates, it can drop the pedal slightly and the car can indeed keep moving. For instance, braking on ice or an oil patch. If there is sufficient traction to stop the car, a hard press on the pedal will. In fact, the braking assist feature is very "trigger happy" (unless you've had the update) which will apply the brakes hard even with a light pressure in a high pedal velocity application.

The parking brake will apply at any speed, but above a certain speed it will pulse instead of latching unless held. Either way, I've never seen it fail to apply, and it has 2 distinct electrical sources to insure it works even if there is an electrical fault.

-Phil

RegGuheert said:
EVDRIVER said:
:lol:

After left the dealership. I requested all the code errors it has been storing. I know I got lots of error codes store, also there time the car lock me out. The car lately reset itself on it own. I gave up adjusting my clock on on screen. The screen on the radio display is always fine, therefore thanks god I don't have to adjust my charging time that the good news!

Errors message: This error happen when park on an uneven pavement. The wheel or brake lock therefore can't start the car. Since it can't detect the brake pedal press.
T/M system
malfunction
Visit dealer

Errors message: This one is odd, turn on the screen display all light and gage but got message error below.
Keyisnot
detected

All so to make think clear and fair. My wife pull on the emergency brake but not sure if it require to be held for few nano sec to activate. Maybe when she in a panic mode, she pull not realizing it need be held...thinking like a hand brake pull wire in her Mercedes.

RegGuheert said:
EVDRIVER said:
Sorry, I misunderstood you. By "code" I thought you meant "software", but I guess you meant a picture of the check transmission message. Agreed. I would like to see a picture of that, too.

RegGuheert said:
RegGuheert said:
EVDRIVER said:
Sorry, I misunderstood you. By "code" I thought you meant "software", but I guess you meant a picture of the check transmission message. Agreed. I would like to see a picture of that, too.

:D I love the Nissan Leaf, got my 3 friends to buy it! Am I the only unlucky one here on the forum. What I hate is the "uneven pavement parking and lock the brake pedal". My wife love to drive my Leaf over her Mercedes E class. I always tell her if you going use my Leaf do me a favor and follow these 2 steps.

-Start the car remove your foot off the brake. Then step on the brake again then put it in drive "Reverse or Forward. Since I know this issue on roll.

-2nd request I told her was never park the car on uneven pavement. She ask why, I just told her just park somewhere flat!!! I have lost over 20 minutes each time to override the brake lock. Only I knew how to overcome but it take a toll on you. I wish someone can bring this attention to Nissan and rewrite the software. I can help on sequence: "if brake roll and lock during parking. Next time user press brake but can't over come the press then activate the emergency brake on it's own in the code...wait few second after confirming the parking brake activate in position. Release the brake pedal lock...now user can press the brake pedal and system recognize".......uggggg agony a simple software fix!

RegGuheert said:
oscar said:
Am I the only unlucky one here on the forum.
No, you are not the only one, but perhaps you are one of only two. Your case seems similar to the one described in this thread: Asking for Lemon Law protection on Monday.

Did your problems happen to start after getting a firmware update by any chance?

WOW...Thanks you I'm not the only one. I though I was going insane. My upgrade is same time frame in Feb /March as "saintyohann".

I saw my 100% charge no longer display 95% always show lower 75%. Sometime I lost bar after park and restart 1 hours later. Also all this started appear after the software upgrade. Also on uneven pavement parking symptom. Sometime I can't turn the car off and won't let you put it in Drive or Reverse just stuck in park. I have to wait 5-10 minutes then I can turn off but before I turn the car off. I pull the emergency brake on to activate. Then I would open and close my door press the alarm lock and unlock reenter the car. Bam the car start...uggggg. Maybe the software not seeing something; maybe the emergency parking brake should activate automatic in some error mode when the car go crazy in non moving 0 mph state. This what I see solve my temporary problem for On/Off issue of the car.

"RegGuheert" Thanks for the link....I feel this guy headache, mine is stuck starting and rolling.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did you perhaps have your brake fluid changed at your dealer? Dealers love to upsell you the brake fluid change even if you don't need it. They could have messed up the fluid change by leaving some air in the system or a loose bleeder.

If you didn't take your car to the dealer the day that this roll back happened then it is your own fault. You need to take this into a dealer yesterday and get it checked out. You should be at the service door at the dealer tomorrow morning when they open.

derkraut said:
Oscar: I see that your VIN number is 000936. When and where did you purchase your Leaf?

I purchase the car in Nissan Putnam up North California but I live in bay area. The car was ready for pickup on April 18, 2011 but on vacation so pick up 04/30/2011. In February/March time frame of 2012 got an email from Nissan for software update. After the software upgraded I’ve notice my mileage range drop by 10%. I didn’t care because it readjusted after I start driving. There are times I see range drop faster in middle or low range. Which confuse my estimation for destination driving? Sometime I notice I get out my car I see 60 miles. A few hours later I start my journey home I see it at 45 miles. After that I never trusted the miles on the low end.
The car is now in service at Steven Creek Nissan in San Jose this morning.

oscar said:
I purchase the car in Nissan Putnam up North California but I live in bay area. The car was ready for pickup on April 18, 2011 but on vacation so pick up 04/30/2011. In February/March time frame of 2012 got an email from Nissan for software update. After the software upgraded I’ve notice my mileage range drop by 10%. I didn’t care because it readjusted after I start driving. There are times I see range drop faster in middle or low range. Which confuse my estimation for destination driving? Sometime I notice I get out my car I see 60 miles. A few hours later I start my journey home I see it at 45 miles. After that I never trusted the miles on the low end.
Re: your "range" and what you see in terms of "miles", forget the GOM (guess-o-meter) that Nissan refers to as Distance To Empty. You may want to consult http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and buy a gid meter (so that you have more granularity than the 12 "fuel" bars). You might find http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; helpful in the absence of a gid meter.

Also, at almost 24K miles, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bit of battery degradation by now.

Back