My insurance quote experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progressive is giving me about $70/mo which appears to be typical. My problem is that they can't seem to figure out who makes a Leaf. They have sent me 5 insurance cards so far and none of the car descriptions have been correct. They have sent out cards for a 2011 Datsun Leaf, a 2001 Datsun Leaf along with several odd models. They seem to have it wrong in their computer system and no way to fix it. Anyway, I got my agent to send me a hand typed card that is correct so I can prove I'm actually insured.

If anyone can provide some guidance on this issue in the Phoenix metro area. Been very satisfied with our Progressive experience, but the quote for our Leaf is more than double our existing Prius. I expected it to be more just because newer, but not at that level. They have had to 'force' the system because even with a VIN it does not seem to recognize the vehicle.

If you have received a reasonable quote from a specific company or have an independent agent to recommend, I would like to hear from you.

aubergaz said:
If anyone can provide some guidance on this issue in the Phoenix metro area. Been very satisfied with our Progressive experience, but the quote for our Leaf is more than double our existing Prius. I expected it to be more just because newer, but not at that level. They have had to 'force' the system because even with a VIN it does not seem to recognize the vehicle.

If you have received a reasonable quote from a specific company or have an independent agent to recommend, I would like to hear from you.

Mine seems unreasonably high as well with Progressive. I'm waiting until the end of this month when we get rid of a car (that the Leaf replaced) then I'll be shopping around. I've been pleased with Progressive in the past, but they seem REALLY high for the Leaf and lately they've made some pretty big mistakes on our account which has me concerned. It's time to start shopping around again for an overall package for the cars and the house.

I had a policy with Progressive as well, but after they quoted me an insanely expensive coverage upgrade for the Leaf, I decided to take my business to Geico. Their quote was about half of what Progressive wanted!

aubergaz said:
If anyone can provide some guidance on this issue in the Phoenix metro area. If you have received a reasonable quote from a specific company or have an independent agent to recommend, I would like to hear from you.

We've been using Colorado Casualty through an agent with Amtrust Bank. Insuring both cars and home is only $75/mo. Before the LEAF, both of our cars and home was $60/mo with less coverage. I've never found a better or less expensive insurance company. She even checked at least 10 other companies and Colorado was still the lowest by far. I leased so both cars had to have 100/300.

I had a horrendous experience with Progressive on my motorcycle when I actually had to make a claim and will never use them again for anything because of it!

surfingslovak said:
I had a policy with Progressive as well, but after they quoted me an insanely expensive coverage upgrade for the Leaf, I decided to take my business to Geico. Their quote was about half of what Progressive wanted!

malloryk said:
Just got my new quote yesterday from Mercury: it's going to be $695 (for the 6 mos.), up from $614 when I had my 04 Matrix. Not bad but I'm going to have to up my coverage it looks like. I got a letter from NMAC this week that said the lease contract requires more coverage than what I have on my policy. My agent is away on vacation, but I'll let you know what it turns out to be when she gets back.

I've got Mercury as well. No problems on adding cars and no problems on claims. I have 3 driving teenagers in the house and Mercury has been really easy with claims. When my Prius was initially totaled (not my fault), I begged them not to total it because I needed the HOV stickers. At the time I didn't know I could get replacement stickers for totaled cars. Anyway, they repaired it for more than $15,000.

My agent had no difficulty adding the Leaf.

Hey now!!! USAA's on line quote system lists the Leaf! Lumps SV and SL together, but has "(EV)" designation, where they might have otherwise indicated number of cylinders.

The quote was very reasonable by the way.

Check out Nationwide. They know what a LEAF is :) The insurance agent enjoyed the drive round the block I gave him.

They have a new insurance product as of May 2011. The LEAF on this new policy is just as cheap as my 2004 Chevy Classic was on the old insurance poicy!!!!

I am now insuring 4 cars for the same price as I insured 3. The new policy made a huge difference in price. Hope to sell the the chevy before the tags come due at end of August and get some bucks back.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Hey now!!! USAA's on line quote system lists the Leaf! Lumps SV and SL together, but has "(EV)" designation, where they might have otherwise indicated number of cylinders.
The quote was very reasonable by the way.

Colorado Casualty no longer does personal auto/home insurance;it is now Safeco (Liberty Mutual group). How much was your "reasonable" yearly quote? For our two cars, $885/yr. My LEAF is $486/yr. and the 2009 Corolla is $406/yr.

$333.25 for 6 months with State Farm up here. A little lower than I've seen for most of the CA folks. Still too high, but what are ya gonna do?

Reddy......and still waiting for my new Nissan Leaf sometime in August

Back