My "ICED" flyer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a huge problem in my neighborhood at three locations. I've been working with the Police Department and one of the stores to find a solution, which I believe I have. At least we are on the road to a solution that may be a significant deterrent. I posted this already in the blink thread so I don't want to be overly posting but thought you may be interested in the video and story.

As far as wording, my research and experience leads me to the conclusion that they need to be unemotional, not snarky or smart ass and factual (but stretching the truth just a bit may be called for) with a legal looking notice, such as the orange sticker already posted here.

If you look at my dramatic video in the link, you can see that people don't care about inconveniencing others, they care about inconveniencing themselves, so the downside to taking these spaces has to be perceived to impact them in a negative way. A nasty note is only going to make them feel better about what they did because now in their minds they did it to a person that is "asshole."

I even talked with one of the people in the video and calmly and politely asked if he saw that the space was for EVs only and he responded, "Yes I did, but I chose to park there anyway." There was no perceived personal downside to him for making that choice and there needs to be a downside for the action even if it is just a perceived downside.

The best way to do this is to convince them through signs that impart the idea there is a penalty to them for parking in an EV space which may be in the form of a ticket or towing or both. Again, their action has to be perceived as potentially hurting themselves, not us.

If you read my other post in the following link you will see how I am going about changing this.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=9832

Or, you can go directly to the article and video here.
http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/whats-that-gas-guzzler-doing-in-ev-parking/

garsh said:
I don't know why, but it irks me even more when a Prius does it. ;)
My garage has since added signs to the walls in front of those parking spaces, saying "Electric vehicle parking ONLY". I think the original overhead signs (which are still there) aren't as noticable (unless you're standing behind the vehicle to take a picture). They've also said that they would patrol more and tell people not to park there. It's working very well - no more ICE vehicles in these parking spots.

The spots aren't all that convenient anyway. They're on the 3rd floor (the garage has 1st and 4th floor entrances). I'm sure that helps.

Since then, I've seen a couple Volts and a Plug-in Prius park at these chargers a few times! It's nice to see other electric vehicles using the chargers. I still appear to be the only Leaf owner in the Pittsburgh area - I haven't seen a single one on the road.

This might be slightly off topic but what about a an EV that hogs a charger. I recently made a trip and planned to use a charger at a AAA office. When I arrived one of the two spots had a plugged in Volt. The Chargepoint representative couldn't get my charger to activate. Since the Volt charger said completed/paused I asked if I could use that charger ( 2 parking spots per charger) but since the Volt had used a card to activate he couldn't free up that station either. After much persuasion on my part he finally got my station to work. Four and a half hours later when I returned the Volt was still plugged in.

jrreno said:
Four and a half hours later when I returned the Volt was still plugged in.

Many of these anecdotes reported in the forum, and it will get worse with the new Toyota and Ford plug-in hybrids on the market. The only solution is to charge for the time the car is parked.. giving a chance for a BEV desperately low in charge to plug in.

jrreno said:
This might be slightly off topic but what about a an EV that hogs a charger. I recently made a trip and planned to use a charger at a AAA office. When I arrived one of the two spots had a plugged in Volt. The Chargepoint representative couldn't get my charger to activate. Since the Volt charger said completed/paused I asked if I could use that charger ( 2 parking spots per charger) but since the Volt had used a card to activate he couldn't free up that station either. After much persuasion on my part he finally got my station to work. Four and a half hours later when I returned the Volt was still plugged in.
Every Chargepoint I've used allows you to just return the J1772 to the holster and the authorize a new charging session. Despite what they say, you don't need to use the original card to terminate the session.

Of course, the volt probably had the plug removal alarm activated so you'd have to contend with that!

Blink has a few flyers as well. I particularly like the last one...

https://www.blinknetwork.com/file/7741/Blink+Courtesy+Notices.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:

https://www.blinknetwork.com/file/7741/Blink+Courtesy+Notices.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, if it happens to be a huge Hummer or a beat up old pick-up, and there is a mean sounding dog in back, I wouldn't advise leaving that notice and parking your EV any where in sight! ;)

I always recommend parking out of sight in any case! :lol:

ebill3 said:
TomT said:
Well, if it happens to be a huge Hummer or a beat up old pick-up, and there is a mean sounding dog in back, I wouldn't advise leaving that notice and parking your EV any where in sight! ;)

I'm more likely to use that last flyer too, but I'm still incredulous that Blink would associate their name with anything that negative.

Haven't done it yet, but the thought has occurred to me on several occasions that relieving one or more of an offending vehicle's tires of air, without damaging them, might be an effective way of making the point, without causing any permanent damage, but creating a serious inconvenience. Of course, some way of notifying the driver of this would be important, so that they don't incur damage by driving on a flat tire, and communicating that there was a cause-and-effect relationship between their behavior and the flat tire.

BTW, what would the exact civil or criminal charge in California be, should one be arrested for this retaliatory behavior? Seems to me the penalty should fall short of that for actually damaging a vehicle or tire.

My problem with this solution is that I wouldn't want to create that much of an inconvenience for someone who more or less innocently ICEd a parking space because they overlooked the sign in their rush or didn't understand what a charging station is. However, if it were possible to know that a driver deliberately ignored a sign, with full understanding of its meaning, then I would have no moral compunctions about leaving him flat, four times over.

timhebb said:
Haven't done it yet, but the thought has occurred to me on several occasions that relieving one or more of an offending vehicle's tires of air, without damaging them, might be an effective way of making the point, without causing any permanent damage, but creating a serious inconvenience. Of course, some way of notifying the driver of this would be important, so that they don't incur damage by driving on a flat tire, and communicating that there was a cause-and-effect relationship between their behavior and the flat tire.
Don't even think of it. Eye for an eye contests most often don't work well.

Buster now has a flat, or near flat, tire. Buster is really unhappy. The next time Buster sees an EV happily charging away, Buster....................

I would think a "boot" around the offending car's tire would work well. Just put a note under the windshield wiper why the car has one, and how to get it off.

You can come by and retrieve your boot and give a nice lecture to a P.O.'d ICE driver.

Courtesy Notice - Parking Violation

This vehicle is blocking an Electric Vehicle Recharging Station. This parking space is designated for Electric Vehicles Only.

Parking in a way that prevents use of the Recharging Station is not only illegal, it can leave an Electric Vehicle driver stranded. I'm sure you enjoy not finding your gasoline refueling stations blocked with non-gasoline powered cars !!!

Under California Vehicle Code section 22511, vehicles parked in spaces reserved for electric vehicles are subject to fines and may be towed away at the owner's expense. We prefer to avoid taking such action unless absolutely necessary.

Notifying the police or sheriff's department may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space designated for electric vehicles to the nearest impound garage if a valid Electric Vehicle "Zero Emission Vehicle" decal identification issued pursuant to DMV rules is not displayed on the vehicle.

Per DMV rules, "zero-emission vehicle" means any car, truck, or any other vehicle that produces no tailpipe or evaporative emissions.

I forget the details, but remember about a year ago a forum member had a little altercation with a PO'd ICEr? Really wasn't so little, since the ICEr was packing. :(

Here is one from a plugshare user and a QC last week.
"Yikes.  The parking spaces by the EV Plug charger were occupied by nonelectric cars.  As I stood there a fit-looking young woman with a slight limp walked up to her car.  I politely asked if she had seen the sign.  She said "I'm handicapped, ***hole!"  I politely noted that this was not a handicapped spot.  She replied "F*** you!" and drove off.  These EVSE's are occupying very prime parking spaces right by a main store entrance, just inviting such conflicts."

ColumbiaRiverGorge said:
Here is one from a plugshare user and a QC last week.
"Yikes.  The parking spaces by the EV Plug charger were occupied by nonelectric cars.  As I stood there a fit-looking young woman with a slight limp walked up to her car.  I politely asked if she had seen the sign.  She said "I'm handicapped, ***hole!"  I politely noted that this was not a handicapped spot.  She replied "F*** you!" and drove off.  These EVSE's are occupying very prime parking spaces right by a main store entrance, just inviting such conflicts."
Well, that might not be so far fetched.

In WA, persons with the disabled placard can park free at on street parking and at meters for unlimited time. They may not park where spaces are reserved for special types of vehicles (fire lanes, loading zones, bus lanes). I'd say the chances are good that if it came to a push and a shove in court or in front of a parking enforcement person, that sweet talking young lady would win.

One thing I'd like to note. That "fit-looking young woman with a slight limp" might actually be having quite a bit of pain, and having to walk a long distance might exacerbate that pain greatly...and it might make her a bit cranky if people are constantly questioning her handicapped parking privilege. The posted description implies she shouldn't be entitled to a handicapped spot, but that is faulty reasoning.

Anyway, that's completely separate from her using the EV spot as a handicapped spot, which she shouldn't have done.

eclecticflower said:
@ebill3: "sweet talking young lady"

When she said that, she was only wishing him one of the nicest gifts she could think of! :lol:
But, she drove off. Promises, promises. :(

Back