My First Public Charge - Santa Monica

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVNation

Felt like trying it out so went to Santa Monica downtown for lunch. I heard they changed out AVCon charger for J1772.

Sure enough. Two CC J1772 chargers right at the end. I was the only Leaf there :).

SOC was listing 50 miles ECO (and 50% ish) on gauge. Car said it would take 4:30 at 240v to charge. Checked iPhone app, said level at 50mi.

I plugged in (no problem) and went to eat. Check iPhone at exact :30. The charge was up to 60mi. Finished my lunch and walked back. Unplugged car and got in. Car says 64 miles and 70 ECO. Driving away it dropped from 70 pretty fast and settled around 65. So figure I got around 15 ECO miles during my lunch. And that covers my commute home...

Further proof that adding a charger to your business encourages patronage.

*Of course I paid $4.50 to park at this particular lot in Santa Monica and new that going in. Sort of negates the benefit in this case. I just wanted to do the experiment.

This is the location:
http://www.evchargernews.com/regions/90401_4.htm
(I even left an "I was there" from the phone so others know the J1772 is available)

Here she is:
http://plixi.com/p/68479535

thanks, EVNation! I live in Santa Monica too. That's a great location to plug in, lots of great restaurants and shops on Main St.

I need to inform you that your Leaf battery warranty is now void because Nissan knows who you are and you charged on a non-approved charging dock. I hope this convinces others about how such silly nonsense gets spread about here.

How could CC units NOT be approved ?! :shock: They are being used as temporary units while Blink is getting their stuff sorted out :roll:

(Anyway ... don't answer that ... I'm with you on the warranty comment. :) )

EVDRIVER said:
I need to inform you that your Leaf battery warranty is now void because Nissan knows who you are and you charged on a non-approved charging dock. I hope this convinces others about how such silly nonsense gets spread about here.
Yeah - because some refuse to tag their sarcasm... ;)

EVNation said:
*Of course I paid $4.50 to park at this particular lot in Santa Monica and new that going in. Sort of negates the benefit in this case.
$4.50 for everyone to park right ? So not really anything extra.

Here is a perfect example of paying for parking and only getting half the charge one would get with a 6.6kw charger. Eat slow.

EVDRIVER said:
Here is a perfect example of paying for parking and only getting half the charge one would get with a 6.6kw charger. Eat slow.

I love long, luxurious lunches...

Seriously, that is the problem with that location. Free parking is all around but the chargers are in the civic center where it is $$. I would never use it normally, just wanted to.

I do wish they had gone with the 6.6k. I was able to get much more (particularly with 50amp chargers) in the Mini-E. I hope they offer an upgrade when it is available. Though not a big issue for me due to my commute. But it was a factor in my lease decision.

blast it! Got another parking ticket in Santa Monica tonight. I parked at a 2-hr meter about 5:25 planning to be there for an hour (this meter ended at 6 so I was good). Got back to my car an hour later and I had a ticket for "expired meter." And it was issued at 5:26 pm so it must've been right after I parked there. The hybrids have lost their free parking privileges in Santa Monica so I'm assuming this nitwit thought my car was a hybrid. But seriously, in a city with a high number of electric cars, this person didn't know the difference between the yellow and the white stickers? And missed the EV parking sticker on my car as well. Obviously I'm going to contest it but if this keeps up, I'm going to start posting a large sign on my windshield. With a printout of the website that explains that EVs get free meter parking.

That's great! Thanks for checking it out! So two more J1772 for public use, in addition to the 5 from chargepoint.net network. I want to visit Santa Monica 3rd street promenade and Pier in my LEAF (~60miles away from home), but need to know there's more around in case they're occupied...esp with so many LEAFs popping up everywhere now :)

Are the 4 next to the promenade inside free or paid parking lot, can someone up there please let us know? Thanks!

malloryk said:
blast it! Got another parking ticket in Santa Monica tonight. I parked at a 2-hr meter about 5:25 planning to be there for an hour (this meter ended at 6 so I was good). Got back to my car an hour later and I had a ticket for "expired meter." And it was issued at 5:26 pm so it must've been right after I parked there. The hybrids have lost their free parking privileges in Santa Monica so I'm assuming this nitwit thought my car was a hybrid. But seriously, in a city with a high number of electric cars, this person didn't know the difference between the yellow and the white stickers? And missed the EV parking sticker on my car as well. Obviously I'm going to contest it but if this keeps up, I'm going to start posting a large sign on my windshield. With a printout of the website that explains that EVs get free meter parking.
What website is that? I rarely use meters, but if that is everywhere, I want to know about it.

malloryk said:
this person didn't know the difference between the yellow and the white stickers? And missed the EV parking sticker on my car as well. Obviously I'm going to contest it but if this keeps up, I'm going to start posting a large sign on my windshield. With a printout of the website that explains that EVs get free meter parking.

And I get another reason to hate the West Side! ;)

Caracalover said:
What website is that? I rarely use meters, but if that is everywhere, I want to know about it.

http://www.smgov.net/Departments/OSE/Categories/Transportation/Automobiles.aspx

see this paragraph:
NOTE: Priority Parking Rules Changed July 1, 2011: The yellow Clean Air Vehicle decals are no longer valid in Santa Monica for priority parking as of July 1, 2011. The WHITE clean air decals are valid through January 1, 2015. White decals allow you to park in any metered parking space in Santa Monica without charge for the maximum amount of time allowed by that meter. In other words, if you’re at a 2-hour meter, you can park there free for 2 hours—but beyond that, you’re subject to ticketing for overstaying your welcome. Clean Air Vehicle decals are issued by the state.

malloryk said:
NOTE: Priority Parking Rules Changed July 1, 2011: The yellow Clean Air Vehicle decals are no longer valid in Santa Monica for priority parking as of July 1, 2011. The WHITE clean air decals are valid through January 1, 2015. White decals allow you to park in any metered parking space in Santa Monica without charge for the maximum amount of time allowed by that meter. In other words, if you’re at a 2-hour meter, you can park there free for 2 hours—but beyond that, you’re subject to ticketing for overstaying your welcome. Clean Air Vehicle decals are issued by the state.
Figures. I am still waiting for my Parking Stickers to arrive, but thanks for the heads up. Currently, my own hassle, too long to explain, is that I PAID a Santa Monica ticket, they failed to credit the payment, even though the check had the citation number on the check, had a copy of the cashed check mailed to them, and then sent me a note that I may have over payed, but still did not credit the check. They are bleeding me of the most precious thing we all have, the discretionary use of our time. My suggestion is you keep copies of everything you send to them. I am glad I did.

Quid pro quo: I wish we could fine them, the 3rd party vendor who runs this shakedown routine, for simple mistakes...

Thanks for posting this. I plan on occasionally commuting to Santa Monica (from Camarillo) and I am going to need a recharge somewhere to get home if I can't find a way to string up an AC cable from my office.

How does this work ? the car is charging there for several hours. There are two chargers. Is there a problem with availability ? Doesn't seem like it can be relied on if multiple user's needs access. Is there anything to prevent a car from sitting there fulling charged and taking up space ?

k2msmith said:
Thanks for posting this. I plan on occasionally commuting to Santa Monica (from Camarillo) and I am going to need a recharge somewhere to get home if I can't find a way to string up an AC cable from my office.

How does this work ? the car is charging there for several hours. There are two chargers. Is there a problem with availability ? Doesn't seem like it can be relied on if multiple user's needs access. Is there anything to prevent a car from sitting there fulling charged and taking up space ?

That is why encouraging use of the charging protocol sign in the windshield is so important. That way, the person coming after you can call you if needed to unplug you and plug in themselves. That is, if they can get the cord to reach to their space. Or they can call you and ask you to move if you are done. We have our sign ready to go in the glove box with a movable clip on the sign so we can indicate when we can be unplugged.

JimSouCal said:
Quid pro quo: I wish we could fine them, the 3rd party vendor who runs this shakedown routine, for simple mistakes...

update: My initial attempt at contesting my citation has been denied, which I'm not surprised about. I bet they deny everyone initially to weed out people who are gonna give up and pay it. Unfortunately for them I am tenacious. :) In order to get a hearing, they do force you to pay the citation, the slimey buggers. So I paid the ticket and now I'm waiting to receive a date for a hearing. I also emailed Lynne Taffert who is a contact person with this free parking program.

http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/incentive_detail.php?incentive_id=36&type=

malloryk said:
update: My initial attempt at contesting my citation has been denied, which I'm not surprised about. I bet they deny everyone initially to weed out people who are gonna give up and pay it. Unfortunately for them I am tenacious. :) In order to get a hearing, they do force you to pay the citation, the slimey buggers. So I paid the ticket and now I'm waiting to receive a date for a hearing. I also emailed Lynne Taffert who is a contact person with this free parking program.

Still hatin' on the West Side here!

mwalsh said:
malloryk said:

Still hatin' on the West Side here!

meh, I still take it any day over the Orange Curtain. I mean Orange County. ;)

Back