My first commute to/from work in my Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmydreams

I have a 63.1 mile round trip commute to/from work, almost all highway, and today was my first full day with my Leaf. Here's the breakdown:

I charged to 100% overnight, and in the morning I unplugged the car to move it out of the garage. It was outside unplugged for about 4 hours before I left for work, and in that time I was in and out of it programming the HomeLink garage door opener, playing with the CD player (it won't read video DVD's), playing with the Nav, etc. I don't recall what the available mileage was when I unplugged it, but when I got in it to head to work, it read 88 miles. Plenty for my trip to/from work.

On the way to work, I was doing between 65-70, stereo playing and climate control on. After about 20-25 miles, the car was still reading 65 miles remaining so I was stoked. However, it's kind of hilly in San Diego, and the last 5-7 miles of my commute get even more hilly. I got a little nervous watching the hills eat away at that 60+ mile range, and by the time I pulled in the gate at work, I was reading 38 miles remaining. One thing I was doing on the way to work was switching to Neutral and coasting down the hills. I think this is a bad idea because regen will put some power back into the pack, while coasting in Neutral does nothing.

From home to work was 33.3 miles in 36 minutes. I used 3.2mi/kW and averaged 38.7 mph. Hmmmmm.

I suffered a fairly serious bout of range anxiety at work thinking about how I'll NEVER live it down if I run out of juice on the way home....wondering if I made a mistake leasing the car, etc. etc. etc. It kinda sucked. I got in my car to go home and figured at 55mph without climate control, I'd roll into my driveway with a few miles to spare....it would be close but I would make it. I left work and drove about 5 miles when I remembered ECO mode! I had forgotten all about it!!!! I switched to ECO and immediately had a range of 44 miles, more than enough to make my commute. But to be on the safe safe side I kept climate control off until I was about halfway home and used cruise control at 65mph.

I rolled into my driveway 29.8 miles later showing 14 miles remaining. I averaged 3.6mi/kW at an average of 37 mph.

So what did I learn from this?? Leave home with a full pack....watch your speed and if possible, avoid some of the hills and don't coast down them in neutral. If you're in doubt about the distance, use ECO mode on the front end to guarantee extra mileage on the back end. I'm certain I can increase that average of 3.4mi/kW number, which will increase my range. I am POSITIVE that if I'm careful, this car will more than fulfill my commuting needs. I'll use ECO mode both ways if I must, and save the FUN driving for the shorter trips. I knew going into this car that 63 daily miles was asking a lot, but the car can easily do it. And that is BEFORE I charge at work. I will be in my boss's office Monday morning asking about a plug. If I can charge at work, it'll be non-ECO fun both ways!!

This is my first EV. Like my first hybrid, there are a lot of little tricks you can learn to increase your MPG. I need to learn some of the EV tricks to extend my range.

I will most definitely fall asleep tonight with a big grin on my face knowing that this car meets or exceeds my expectations. Hats off to Nissan! :mrgreen:

And to quote Ferris Bueller, "It's so choice! If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up!"

Makes me wonder, though -- if you have a constant-speed highway drive to work, does ECO mode buy you anything at all?

There's no mild-start benefit, increased regen, or anything really different about cruise-control 65mph in ECO or off ECO, right?

(The hills and in-city, sure)

Also hoping one of the Leaf owners will be able to do some experiments to characterize just what you get from regen going down a long hill. Isn't there a "B" mode like on the Prius that is supposed to increase the regen (and the drag) going down longer, steeper hills? Lot's to learn here!

"ECO" mode is the closest thing the LEAF has to "B" mode. So, Jimmy, you were able to use cruise control and ECO mode together? That settles one of my concerns, because I can't use "B" mode and cruise control together on the Prius.

Nice one Jimmy.

But you need to know what mileage you're starting out with. A good habit is going into the Owner's Portal after your car is charged and refresh the car's data - it will tell you what the available mileage is without you even going out to the car.

Regen is definitely your friend when it comes to hills. Coasting...not so much. I think keeping the speed at a maximum of 65mph would be helpful too. I haven't tried cruising at 70mph to see what the difference in overhead is between the two, but I'll bet it's significant.

evnow said:
Something wrong with that avg mph.

BTW, did you get low battery warning ?

I reset the averages for each trip,and you're right, I think the average speed is off.

I got a low battery warning right as I was pulling in my driveway.

For those of you charging to 100%, what is your available mileage showing?? I'm showing 88 miles again this morning after a 100% charge. I think that's a little low....My car arrive at the dealer with 33 miles on it (which is a bit high). I wonder if Nissan was trying to chase a bug in my car somewhere and just gave up?

Jimmydreams said:
For those of you charging to 100%, what is your available mileage showing?? I'm showing 88 miles again this morning after a 100% charge. I think that's a little low....My car arrive at the dealer with 33 miles on it (which is a bit high). I wonder if Nissan was trying to chase a bug in my car somewhere and just gave up?

I think 88 miles is a little low too. I've recharged 3 times now and got 105 the first time, 99 the second, and 103 most recently.

Jimmydreams said:

How many bars was it showing ?

Leaf uses the mpkwh of the last trip to calculate that.

planet4ever said:
"ECO" mode is the closest thing the LEAF has to "B" mode. So, Jimmy, you were able to use cruise control and ECO mode together? That settles one of my concerns, because I can't use "B" mode and cruise control together on the Prius.

Yes, Cruise works with ECO. I noticed on the way home the regen was about zero or slightly positive (meaning I was generating power) going down the hills.

Mike has it right: steady speed of 65 or less and don't coast down hills.

Today I'll use cruise at 65 with eco on the way in and drive the exact same route to/from work. The car is showing 88 miles again after a 100% charge, so between that and my mi/kW numbers, I should have a good starting point. (I'm still waiting on my info to show up on Carwings)

evnow said:
Jimmydreams said:

How many bars was it showing ?

I believe 2. It might have dropped to one right when the warning went off.

evnow said:
Leaf uses the mpkwh of the last trip to calculate that.

Thats the other number I want to compare with others.

mwalsh said:
I think 88 miles is a little low too. I've recharged 3 times now and got 105 the first time, 99 the second, and 103 most recently.

Mike, what kind of mi/kW numbers are you getting?

Jimmydreams said:
Mike, what kind of mi/kW numbers are you getting?

Right around 4mpkWh. A bit less in the morning, due to the (mostly) full freeway speed runs, but it picks some in the afternoon when there is more traffic (and thus lower speeds and more regen opportunities). Understand though that I am (IMO) driving VERY conservatively. Much more than I would normally do (though not hypermiling).

Jimmy,

Thanks for the information -- my commute is very similar to yours. It will be very interesting to watch you dial in the parameters for max range. I will be standing on your shoulders when I take delivery!

J.

jhm614 said:
Jimmy,

Thanks for the information -- my commute is very similar to yours. It will be very interesting to watch you dial in the parameters for max range. I will be standing on your shoulders when I take delivery!

J.

It IS a learning curve, but not one that is insurmountable. I'll use ECO mode for a few days and see how that increases my numbers. My goal is maximize the fun while not walking those last 2 miles!! :shock:

mwalsh said:
Right around 4mpkWh. A bit less in the morning, due to the (mostly) full freeway speed runs, but it picks some in the afternoon when there is more traffic (and thus lower speeds and more regen opportunities). Understand though that I am (IMO) driving VERY conservatively. Much more than I would normally do (though not hypermiling).

Something else that just occurred to me, Mike. I wonder if it might have something to do with the Clipper Creek EVSE? I was told at the dealer that the CC EVSE doesn't 'talk' to your car at all, so I can't use things like the charging timer, etc. It'll be interesting to see if the Blink unit will maybe squeek some more electrons into my pack than the CC. Doubtful, but I've learned to look at all the strange angles when dealing with such a large volume of question marks!! ;)

Jimmydreams said:
Something else that just occurred to me, Mike. I wonder if it might have something to do with the Clipper Creek EVSE? I was told at the dealer that the CC EVSE doesn't 'talk' to your car at all, so I can't use things like the charging timer, etc. It'll be interesting to see if the Blink unit will maybe squeek some more electrons into my pack than the CC. Doubtful, but I've learned to look at all the strange angles when dealing with such a large volume of question marks!! ;)

Sounds like a possibility, though someone who understands the communication protocols much more than I do would have to comment.

Jimmydreams said:
My car arrive at the dealer with 33 miles on it (which is a bit high). I wonder if Nissan was trying to chase a bug in my car somewhere and just gave up?
33: Yeah, that's the highest we've heard of so far ... and that is "too high" ... IMHO

What do you think the probability is that Nissan has set some of the variable parameters involved in the drive train somewhat differently in different cars in these initial deliveries (possibly only in the EVP cars) and that they are carefully collecting and examining each such car's statistics towards the goal of determining what are the optimal settings (which may vary depending on the terrain, average temperature, etc) to be used later on for all Leafs?

MikeD said:
What do you think the probability is that Nissan has set some of the variable parameters involved in the drive train somewhat differently in different cars in these initial deliveries (possibly only in the EVP cars) and that they are carefully collecting and examining each such car's statistics towards the goal of determining what are the optimal settings (which may vary depending on the terrain, average temperature, etc) to be used later on for all Leafs?

OOooooooOOOOOOOO!!! Evil! Conspiracy!!!

I like it!

Very possible.

Jimmydreams said:
I doubt it. If that is the case, it would be a bug. Leaf is supposed to tell the EVSE when to start & when to stop. That is part of J1772. Rest, Leaf charger should handle.

The EVSE gets only "I am here" (9v), and "Close the Power Relay" (6v) from the leaf.

The 12v condition tells the EVSE that there is essentially "Nothing Connected".

That is it, no SOC info, no start or end times, only "Power Please" (ON) or not (OFF).

The EVSE tells the car "I am here and powered ON", and "Approximately 15 (or 12, 16, 24, 30, or 32) Amps is the Maximum available (for continuous use)". This is indicated to the car via the duty cycle of a 1 kHz square wave that the EVSE transmits.

The EVSE (like AV's EVSE) might monitor the current usage, or might not.

Very easy, very simple, one wire (and ground) "Control Pilot" signal, and no real, complex "messages" or "codes" exchanged.

Back