My experience at an auto parts store.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove my leaf to a local auto parts store to get some parts for my other car (adhesive remover and hole plugs, I was selling my ex-cop car). At the register there was a display for some kind of injector cleaner additive. Here's how the conversation went:

Cashier: "Some injector cleaner, keep your injectors nice and clean?"
Me: "I don't have injectors."
Cashier: "Clean out your fuel system, then?"
Me: "I don't have a fuel system."
At this point, I gestured to my car, which was parked in full view in front of the store.
Cashier: "Is that one of those pure hybrids?" (Yes, he actually said "pure hybrids.")
Me: "Nope. Electric. Pretty low maintenance, except for the battery will have to be replaced eventually."
Cashier: "Yeah, but they're pretty cheap."

By this time my transaction was complete and I tried to keep from rolling my eyes as I left the store.

I wonder if he was thinking of a regular lead-acid battery as being "cheap?"

I also wonder what these stores will be selling 50 years from now? I would imagine over half of their merchandise will become obsolete when gas cars go away. I'm sure they'll gain some new products (EVSEs for example) but I wonder if it will be enough to cover what was lost?

adric22 said:
I'm sure they'll gain some new products (EVSEs for example) but I wonder if it will be enough to cover what was lost?
I wouldn't discount the entrepreneurial spirit... I haven't even had any coffee yet, and I can already think of two solid products: high(!)-powered stereos running off the main battery, and hood-mounted Tesla coils :idea: :mrgreen:

adric22 said:
I also wonder what these stores will be selling 50 years from now? I would imagine over half of their merchandise will become obsolete when gas cars go away. I'm sure they'll gain some new products (EVSEs for example) but I wonder if it will be enough to cover what was lost?

Same thing that happened to record/CD stores: when's the last time you saw one of those? They're not obsolete, but so rare they're almost considered a novelty. :eek:

charge said:
One of those drinking birds to hit the OK button automatically
drinking-bird-works-o.gif

GRA said:
PhilRW said:
My favorite thing that he said was "pure hybrid." That needs to go on the oxymoron list.
I imagine it's just a variation of "full hybrid", as opposed to "mild hybrid".
No no no. It means it's a gluten-free, organic, fair-trade hybrid.

Should've asked him to price up an oil filter for it.

Or just say 'I think my exhaust has fallen off, could you have a quick look, please?'

donald said:
Or just say 'I think my exhaust has fallen off, could you have a quick look, please?'
http://www.jcwhitney.com/exhaust-pipes-and-tubing/nissan-leaf/c10826d54595j1s21.jcwx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol:

I like to go to the local gas station and ask for a car wash... I don't buy gas anymore... but my car is dirty. Always brings questions...

One lady told me that her husband owned the station and was thinking of putting in an EVSE. I gave her the full tour.

This 2 weekends ago I went to my local Autozone to pick up some ATF for my lift. At the cashier, the store employee asked me if I was putting tranny fluid in my car gesturing to my Leaf outside. I told him "Nope, it's for my lift.". Then he asked "How often do you have to change the oil in that?" gesturing again to the car. The question confused me initially which must've been apparent in my facial expression. I replied "Umm... never.". At that point the look of confusion was on his face as he tried to ponder what I just said. "It's electric which means it doesn't use oil like most cars." I told him to simplify it. "Yeah, but like a Prius you have to change the oil sometime." he said w/ a smile. I smiled back as well, shaking my head "No,no... it's ALL electric, there's no internal combustion engine in it. It doesn't us oil, gas, have a transmission or exhaust.". "Ohhh... " he said in a tone as if to humor me as though I was crazy turning his attention to the register. I finished my transaction and left and I could see from my mirrors that he was watching my car as I drove off.

Drivesolo said:
This 2 weekends ago I went to my local Autozone to pick up some ATF for my lift. At the cashier, the store employee asked me if I was putting tranny fluid in my car gesturing to my Leaf outside. I told him "Nope, it's for my lift.". Then he asked "How often do you have to change the oil in that?" gesturing again to the car. The question confused me initially which must've been apparent in my facial expression. I replied "Umm... never.". At that point the look of confusion was on his face as he tried to ponder what I just said. "It's electric which means it doesn't use oil like most cars." I told him to simplify it. "Yeah, but like a Prius you have to change the oil sometime." he said w/ a smile. I smiled back as well, shaking my head "No,no... it's ALL electric, there's no internal combustion engine in it. It doesn't us oil, gas, have a transmission or exhaust.". "Ohhh... " he said in a tone as if to humor me as though I was crazy turning his attention to the register. I finished my transaction and left and I could see from my mirrors that he was watching my car as I drove off.

Well you could have given him a shred of hope for selling you a pint of gear oil someday for the reduction gearbox :p

Back