My Dream RV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckyleaf

So I'm in my late 40's, planning to retire around 67 or 70. Here's what I'd like to see in my RV - home in 20 years:

RV should be about the size of a bus, it will be our home full time.

Would want a traction/house battery that can get the E-RVx about 40 miles down the road (or more) on all electric.

A multifuel wave disk engine that can generate 40kW or more, to extend range, or charge batteries when it isn't sunny

Would like about 3kW solar installed on the roof that charges the traction/house battery.

Should be fully self driving. I'm 70, I don't want to drive a friggin bus.

I don't think this will be too much to ask for in twenty years, any thoughts?

Funny you should bring this up. I have been thinking a GMC motorhome would make a great EV conversion/classic restoration.

http://gmcclassics.com/chatter/4sale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back of the napkin calculation suggests about a ton of CALB cells. The target would be 100kWh pack capacity. No clue what kind of efficiency you could hope for; if you could get 1 mile/kWh that would get you 100 miles. That may be wishful thinking. The idea would be if you could make it from one 50A campground hookup to the next you could plan on 6.6kW charging and still have enough shore power left over to run a roof air and some other luxuries, with a full charge taking about 16 hours. Frankly you'd have so much conversation in the campgrounds you wouldn't have time for long days on the road even if you had the range.

I'd leave the gas tank in place along with the gasoline generator to power the roof air conditioners and provide a "last resort" charging capability in case I didn't make it to the next campground.

If it weren't for the $40k the cells would cost this would be an interesting experiment.

Back of the napkin calculation suggests about a ton of CALB cells. The target would be 100kWh pack capacity. No clue what kind of efficiency you could hope for; if you could get 1 mile/kWh that would get you 100 miles. That may be wishful thinking. The idea would be if you could make it from one 50A campground hookup to the next you could plan on 6.6kW charging and still have enough shore power left over to run a roof air and some other luxuries, with a full charge taking about 16 hours. Frankly you'd have so much conversation in the campgrounds you wouldn't have time for long days on the road even if you had the range.

I'd expect in 20 years, the E-RVx as I envision it to be the standard. You are correct though, if you were retired now (or soon), you would be the talk of the town! If a diesel RV averages around 10mpg, I'd really expect something closer to .5 mile/kWh. I want a big RV. I want to tow a small EV for day trips. It would double as my house, so it can't be an 18' like the r-Pod I tow with the 4Runner.

If the wave disk engine/generator is anything like MSU states that it is, that little motor will be the game changer! I could live with 50 miles of range, and perhaps enough of a range extender to go 200 miles before must stop, must charge. Even if charging means napping at WalMart while letting the generator do its thing. The beauty of being retired is that I don't need to do 70mph down the interstate, like I do now, because I only have nine days to get where I'm going, enjoy the vacation spot, and come home. Imagine having two months to do the same trip, or whatever? The only problem I forsee with the plan is that the RV company will want to build a one size fits all solution, at least as far as the power plant goes. Limiting the range to 200 miles a day would work for me when retired, but not the weekend warrior.

The aspect I want the most is the self driving part. I really expect to see vehicles that drive themselves in production within the next 5 to 10 years. The current roadblock revolves around insurance and liability more than it does computers and electronics. I look at what I used for a cell phone 20 years ago, and I figure that 20 years from now, the self driving tech will blow your socks off!

kentuckyleaf" The aspect I want the most is the self driving part. I really expect to see vehicles that drive themselves in production within the next 5 to 10 years. The current roadblock revolves around insurance and liability more than it does computers and electronics. I look at what I used for a cell phone 20 years ago said:
I for one do not want self driving cars - what's the fun in that? I can't stand being a passenger in a car.

LTLFTcomposite said:
If it weren't for the $40k the cells would cost this would be an interesting experiment.

You make $40k sound like it's expensive or something.. Compared to a decent diesel pusher, $40k is only coming close to the price of your down payment. Admittedly, there are a number of more affordable options out there, but it's always been an interesting number game for me to look around at the campgrounds we visit (in our admittedly not $40k trailer) and count up how many millions of dollars are sitting around surrounded by "nature"...

cdub said:
I for one do not want self driving cars - what's the fun in that? I can't stand being a passenger in a car.
Even if YOU don't want one, wouldn't you want one for all of those people who can't seem to drive a car correctly to save their lives? ;)

garsh said:
cdub said:
Even if YOU don't want one, wouldn't you want one for all of those people who can't seem to drive a car correctly to save their lives? ;)

I might not need a self driving RV when I'm 67, but I intend on this vehicle to take us on trips until we need to be in an assisted care facility. It dang well better be able to drive itself when I'm 90! In 20 years, self driving cars should be commonplace.

TLeaf said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

You make $40k sound like it's expensive or something.. Compared to a decent diesel pusher, $40k is only coming close to the price of your down payment. Admittedly, there are a number of more affordable options out there, but it's always been an interesting number game for me to look around at the campgrounds we visit (in our admittedly not $40k trailer) and count up how many millions of dollars are sitting around surrounded by "nature"...

$40k would be just a start for a full conversion, that's just batteries :)

I have an uncle that lives full time in a RV/Bus. He often plays host at different campgrounds, and camps for free. He has enjoyed this lifestyle for at least 10 years. Since our mortgage will be paid in full before retirement, the intent is to trade the house for the RV. I expect this to be expensive, and I expect this to be the last big toy that I purchase.

Back