MY 2013 Speedometer reading incorrect!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rogersleaf said:
I inquired at the service desk but their Leaf tech was not working that day. Said I needed to set an appointment and leave the car for them to evaluate the problem. We also had a bit of an argument, the service writer claims 5% is a allowable variance. Wasn't prepared at the time to arrange an appointment. About due for a tire rotation, plan to get it evaluated at that time.

I just took mine this morning, as I had setup an appointment, and as per the service person that is handling my case, Nissan told them to take my car for a ride and follow it with another Leaf. I made sure to record my mileage as I dropped it off, as I wanted to see how long of a drive they would take. When he called me back to tell me that they had recorded and sent it to Nissan, and I asked what they did, he simply told me that they went on a trip, and followed my car with another Leaf. I quickly suckled and said: well, if you have a bad ham on a package and you taste it, and it tasted bad, why would you taste another ham from the same pack to see if the other one is as bad. He just laughed and I said, well, you didn't think about following my Leaf with a bike, an Armada, Pathfinder, Altima, Versa.. anything, other than a Leaf? There are many people saying how their MPH is off, but I guess they are not very concerned that a fast MPH means a bad odometer. His answer was: that was what Nissan wanted us to do. And I asked, so what did you find out. Simply, both cars ran at same speeds, and odometers were identical. They took the car for a 6.8 mile trek. I told him, just so you know, I took a 23 mile trek this weekend, from my house to Sea World - Orlando, all expressway, and I pulled over to the side, reset everything, both my phone, my wife's and the car, went on as steady as I could at 60MPH and both phones were reading 56MPH-57 once in a while. When I arrived there, the car read 23.5, and both phones read identical 23.04. So that was 1/2 mile on a 23 mile trek. Do you really think that on a 6.8 mile trek you recorded anything? And how did you recorded? He simply said: we read the 4 digit odometer. I just about slapped my face. Thinking, you didn't even think about doing it with the DECIMAL TRIP ODOMETER the car has? Wow. I told the guy, well, thanks for lending me a Pathfinder, I had to put $10 worth of gas on it just so I can bring my car and you do nothing to it, knowing you had no fix, but at least to get them the numbers. And obviously you failed at getting the numbers correctly. I know I'll be doing this again, I just hope you guys will comp the gas or give me a Leaf next time so I don't have to waste money on gas if you guys are going to do such a bad job on recording the numbers. All he could answer was: that was what Nissan wanted us to do. I am pretty upset at the situation, as I know the odometer is wrong. I don't care about the speedometer, I don't speed much on my car. But loosing 2-3% on a 36k mile lease, it's a month at 1000 miles. So, I'll be calling Nissan to continue my bitching about this. I know, he's doing what Nissan is asking him to do, but to take the car for less than 10 miles, that was a joke. Not like he can take it for 100 mile journey, but man, do a better job as the complain from the customer is that it is wrong and they have NO way of testing unless they take it for a spin. I told him that on the next trip, I was going to go with them, to show them how the numbers are wrong. Specially when this all started when my wife is driving behind me on my Armada SE 2009 and she calls me on the cell phone to ask me why I was driving so slow; going 47mph on a 50mph, where usually you'll go about 52-55mph. And I simply told her, I am doing 50-52.. and she is like, you are not even getting to 50.

I guess we need more people taking their cars in for them to REALLY look into this. This happened to Honda several years ago, they simply adjusted the % and told all the dealers that it was happening, nothing wrong, just come up with a solution.

Back