Musings about Electric Vehicles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good basic primer.

This was new to me:

• Battery-battery hybrids: Tesla has patented the concept of using a lithium-ion (LI) battery (medium energy density and high power density) with a lithium-air (LA) battery (high energy density and medium power density). The LI battery would be used to provide energy during brief driving periods requiring high power (accelerating and climbing hills) and the LA battery would be used to provide energy during periods requiring low power (cruising). The LA battery also can recharge the LI battery.

Here's a source:

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/09/19/new-tesla-patent-400-mile-battery-pack-using-metal-air-lithium-ion-batteries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

400 mile range in your first model E?

It's a good idea which would help modestly-endowed vehicles (let's call them "Leafs") achieve better acceleration without a lot more battery.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
• Battery-battery hybrids: Tesla has patented the concept of using a lithium-ion (LI) battery (medium energy density and high power density) with a lithium-air (LA) battery (high energy density and medium power density). The LI battery would be used to provide energy during brief driving periods requiring high power (accelerating and climbing hills) and the LA battery would be used to provide energy during periods requiring low power (cruising). The LA battery also can recharge the LI battery.
Actually, the way I understand this type of hybrid battery is a bit different. I believe the idea is that it will work like a Chevy Volt. The main LI battery will be the daily use battery that has 1,000+ cycle life. The other battery will have a lot of extra density for extra range, but poor cycle life. And thus you can drive your daily commute on the LI battery, and when you take longer trips, dig into the LA battery. Assuming you only use the second battery once or twice a month, the cycle life should be good enough to last the life of the car.

Back