Moving to Norway

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Path0gen

Leaf owners,

Greetings everyone! I've been following the boards for quite some time since I first was interested in purchasing my Nissan Leaf. Lots of great advice and information, thanks to all who contributed.

I did some searching and couldn't find anything particularly related to my issue...

I have a pending assignment to Norway for the next 3-4 years, and I had some concerns about electric standards, etc.

Norway runs on 230 V / 50 Hz infrastructure. Whereas the US runs on 120 V / 60 Hz.

At my residential location, I have a level 2 charger with the following specifications:
Input Amperage: 16A
Input Voltage: 240VAC
Plug Configuartion: Hard-Wired
Output Power: 3.8kW (16A @240VAC)
Charge Connector: SAEJ1722™ Charge Connecor on 18' Cable

My question is, if I take this charging station with me, will an electrician in Norway be able to appropriately hook it up and it not screw up my vehicle? I believe they can configure an input for the station that meets the specifications, but my main concern is that the Leaf is rated for 60 Hz, and not 50 Hz... That may cause damage from what I have read. If anyone has any information, or experience with similar situations it would be very much appreciated.

I am aware that my trickle charger won't work (that's okay), and that my Nav / Xm will no longer function. I'm also aware that Norway uses the type 2: VDE-AR-E 2623-2-2 plugs instead of the SAEJ1722, so I won't be able to use any public charging stations with the exception of perhaps finding an adapter. I have very limited electrical knowledge... So if there are any recommendations for this adventure of mine it is much appreciated.

Thanks all,

I suspect that the USA LEAF's Onboard Charger itself is designed for both
50 and 60 cycle operation. I am not sure, but it is likely.
It should accept 208 to 250 volts AC.

You should look on the sticker on the AV EVSE to see if it
is 50/60 cycle rated, and what the range of AC voltage is...
not for what it passes on to the car, but what it uses to power itself.

The 120v Panasonic EVSE that is included with the LEAF can be
modified by Ingineer to work on 120 and 230/240 and both 50/60 cycles.

Or, perhaps better...
You could buy a replacement socket to use in place of the J1772 socket
in the charge port of the car.

Stupidly, this small planet cannot agree on world-wide standards.

Path0gen: Can you give the exact brand/model# of the EVSE? My Blink specifies 60 Hz in its specifications, but it complex enough to use a timer which I would think definitely would be affected by 50 Hz current. Looking at the specifications of some other EVSEs, none of them that do not have timers seem to say. If it is possible to contact a representative of the EVSE's maker somehow, perhaps that would be most reliable.

Path0gen said:
Leaf owners,

Greetings everyone! I've been following the boards for quite some time since I first was interested in purchasing my Nissan Leaf. Lots of great advice and information, thanks to all who contributed.

I did some searching and couldn't find anything particularly related to my issue...

I have a pending assignment to Norway for the next 3-4 years, and I had some concerns about electric standards, etc.

Norway runs on 230 V / 50 Hz infrastructure. Whereas the US runs on 120 V / 60 Hz.

At my residential location, I have a level 2 charger with the following specifications:
Input Amperage: 16A
Input Voltage: 240VAC
Plug Configuartion: Hard-Wired
Output Power: 3.8kW (16A @240VAC)
Charge Connector: SAEJ1722™ Charge Connecor on 18' Cable

My question is, if I take this charging station with me, will an electrician in Norway be able to appropriately hook it up and it not screw up my vehicle? I believe they can configure an input for the station that meets the specifications, but my main concern is that the Leaf is rated for 60 Hz, and not 50 Hz... That may cause damage from what I have read. If anyone has any information, or experience with similar situations it would be very much appreciated.

I am aware that my trickle charger won't work (that's okay), and that my Nav / Xm will no longer function. I'm also aware that Norway uses the type 2: VDE-AR-E 2623-2-2 plugs instead of the SAEJ1722, so I won't be able to use any public charging stations with the exception of perhaps finding an adapter. I have very limited electrical knowledge... So if there are any recommendations for this adventure of mine it is much appreciated.

Thanks all,

If you have an AV unit it won't work in Norway because of the software. If you have a factory LEAF cable you can have it upgraded by EVSEupgrade as they have a special version for the Norway ground compliance. There are 16a continuous breakers in Norway so you can use it there at 16A.

garygid said:
I suspect that the USA LEAF's Onboard Charger itself is designed for both
50 and 60 cycle operation. I am not sure, but it is likely.
It should accept 208 to 250 volts AC..

It should take 100 volts (Japan) to 250 volts (and Tesla chargers take up to 277 volt).

Doesn't Norway use three phase Mennekes connectors?

ICCPD_Milieu_380.jpg

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

So, I have the standard EVSE that came with the vehicle. I purchased the 2012 Nissan Leaf.

Norway does use the three phase Mennekes, which I don't think I can use with my car unless I somehow change sockets on the leaf, if that can be done?

I think that the solution EVDRIVER provided might be the right one... I think I can have the EVSE modified to plug into Norway standards at that seems to make sense (ranged 100-240V and 50/60hz).

I'll drive around with my portable EVSE plug and be able to get a good quick charge anywhere it seems.

I'm going to reach out to http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; based on your recommendations and confirm with them that all is well; which I think it will be. That will also prevent me from having to find an electrician in Norway, etc. Although, without the Mennekes socket I won't be able to use their public charging stations. :(

Thanks everyone!

Path0gen said:
Norway does use the three phase Mennekes, which I don't think I can use with my car unless I somehow change sockets on the leaf, if that can be done? ... Although, without the Mennekes socket I won't be able to use their public charging stations. :( ...
I thought that in Europe, the charging station just has a socket, and the car owner has to supply a Mennekes to J1772 cable to plug the LEAF in. So, what you would need is the public charging cable they supply with the European cars.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4510&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

file.php

Ahh, I found the Norway angle in that same thread:
jkirkebo said:
surfingslovak said:
jkirkebo said:
Nope, it's a Mennekes-J1772 cable for use in Europe.
+1

Jens, thank you for correcting that! Do you guys use the same setup in Norway? ...
No, we do not have any Mennekes charging posts yet, but they will arrive eventually. For now, everything L2 is schuko-sockets which deliver 230V 16A so the portable EVSE must be used.

schuko-plug-sockets-181464.jpg)

So it sounds like if you have your EVSE upgraded, and make a "schuko-socket" adapter, you should be good for public charging, as well. I also recall Norway has a good CHADEMO network, so I hope you have that feature.

davewill said:
So it sounds like if you have your EVSE upgraded, and make a "schuko-socket" adapter, you should be good for public charging, as well. I also recall Norway has a good CHADEMO network, so I hope you have that feature.

Maybe an L6-20 on both the supply power end of the EVSE and the EV side. That way, you can swap the J1772 cord from the EVSE to the Menekke plug and you can swap out supply power adapters as needed throughout Europe or the world on the "power end".

wa9-socketfit.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
Maybe an L6-20 on both the supply power end of the EVSE and the EV side. That way, you can swap the J1772 cord from the EVSE to the Menekke plug and you can swap out supply power adapters as needed throughout Europe or the world on the "power end".
That doesn't make any sense, Tony. How could he have an L6-20 on the "EV" side of the EVSE? You've got the extra pilot signal to account for. Besides that doesn't get him anywhere he's trying to go, anyway. The Mennekes cable (above) doesn't require an EVSE, it's electrically compatible with J1772 already. He should just buy the proper Mennekes cable if/when he needs one.

davewill said:
TonyWilliams said:
That doesn't make any sense, Tony. How could he have an L6-20 on the "EV" side of the EVSE? You've got the extra pilot signal to account for. Besides that doesn't get him anywhere he's trying to go, anyway. The Mennekes cable (above) doesn't require an EVSE, it's electrically compatible with J1772 already. He should just buy the proper Mennekes cable if/when he needs one.

You answered your own comment.... the Mennekes doesn't need an EVSE, therefore JUST the cable and J1772 handle would be used from the existing Panasonic. That cable could be connected to a Mennekes plug (without the Panasonic EVSE) and voila, the original cable and Yazaki J1772 plug serves double duty. Connect the two (Mennekes plug to J1772 cable) with an L14-30 to get the 4 needed conductors (my mistake with L6-20).

The other end that supplies power to the Panasonic via a more familiar L6-20. The whole point is not carrying two redundant cables in the car.

Thanks all so much for the information. I didn't know that they let you supply your own charging cables to the infrastructure over there. That is radically different than the U.S. and is very much welcome. :) It sounds like I need to get one of those Mennekes to J1772 cables. I also do have the Chademo port equipped on my leaf. I have not ever used a level-3 type quick charge station though... Do those have the cables attached? Or do I need to purchase a Chademo cable also?

I'm a bit lost too about having multiple cables.. At this rate, I would need my EVSE that connects via J1772 and to normal outlets in Norway (which I would use at home); and then I need a Mennekes to J1772 that I can use when in public transit. Does that summarize it correctly? I wanted to make sure I understood... Or can I plug in the Schuko socket into public stations as well, and only use a my EVSE everywhere?

-Justin

garygid said:
Chademo charging stations (should) have the charging cable
and special Chademo plug-Connector (still) attached.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Only the level 2 stations require your own cable then.

L2 EVSE charging stations in the USA generally have the J1772 plug
and cable (still) attached.

The "Meneke"? charging spot is apparently just a special socket,
with the EVSE part built in, and one needs either a M-to-M extension
cord (for a European LEAF), or a M-to-J extension cord (for a
USA LEAF). No EVSE required.

Using typical "wall sockets" generally require an EVSE (possibly with
an adapter to fit the socket) in the cable from the wall socket
to the car's charging connector (J1772 for you). The electronics of
this EVSE must be compatible with the electrical power from the wall.

And, in all cases, the car must be compatible with the power source as well.

The LEAF wil charge in Norway no issue, there are almost 1K US LEAFs imported to Norway each year by private parties and most folks use an EVSE at home. As long as you have power and a EVSE compatible with the ground system you are good. Norway LEAFS get an included Panasonic EVSE rated for about 10A with different ground handling, etc. Same in UK and other countries in Europe.

TonyWilliams said:
You answered your own comment.... the Mennekes doesn't need an EVSE, therefore JUST the cable and J1772 handle would be used from the existing Panasonic. That cable could be connected to a Mennekes plug (without the Panasonic EVSE) and voila, the original cable and Yazaki J1772 plug serves double duty. Connect the two (Mennekes plug to J1772 cable) with an L14-30 to get the 4 needed conductors (my mistake with L6-20).

The other end that supplies power to the Panasonic via a more familiar L6-20. The whole point is not carrying two redundant cables in the car.
I understood all that. It still sounds like a bad idea to me, misusing the L14-30 by putting the pilot signal on the neutral pin. If one really wanted to do this (and I recommend against), it would be better to put the Mennekes socket on the EVSE instead of making funny adapters.

Reminds me of a guy I knew who used to make adapters so he could use electrical extension cords as speaker wire extensions for parties...I swear it's so.

davewill said:
Reminds me of a guy I knew who used to make adapters so he could use electrical extension cords as speaker wire extensions for parties...I swear it's so.

If you put a couple extension cords together, they make great jumper cables for starting cars with dead batteries.

:mrgreen:

We have many customers in Norway that have our upgrade. We can upgrade the US version cord and it will then work globally. The difference is that in Norway, most of the power system is "Isolated Ground", so a normal US-spec 240v EVSE will not allow charging as it's ground verification will fail. EVdriver is correct, in that most all US-Spec EVSE's, such as the AV will not work in most of Europe, they will simply indicate a Ground Fault and refuse to charge.

We have a new software version we can install on units for Europe that will allow you to select your amperage easily on-the-fly so you can configure your unit yourself. I recommend you have it upgraded, let us know it's for Europe, and order an extra L6-20 pigtail or 2 along with the 120v adapter so it's still usable here. Then when you get there you can run to the local hardware store and pick up the appropriate plug needed. (Shucko, IEC, etc.) and make up an adapter. We will furnish detailed instructions on how to do this with your order. Then when you get back to the US, you can simply switch adapters and you are good to go.

Sell your existing unit on Ebay, and you'll likely have money left over even after the upgrade.

-Phil

Ingineer: Why are you allowed to promote your products freely wherever you want on this forum (I thought vendors had to post somewhere in the Marketplace area)?

From EVNOW (under "New rules for posting Advertisements, Deals, For Sale/Wanted (Feb 11, 2011)" post):
"Posting of products, sale offers, discount codes, promotions, new product releases or purchasing information in general is strictly limited to the Business Ads, Deals, Sales, and Want To Buy section. Any posts of this sort found elsewhere on the forum will be deleted. We reserve the right to ban/delete/edit the posts and the user accounts that are found in violation of these terms.
This does not apply to posts offering support for products or services your company offers. When in doubt, contact us first.".

Perhaps this post falls under the "offering support for products or services", but I have seen other posts of yours that seem to me to be just blatant "promotion" (for the EVSE Upgrade, for example).

Perhaps someone can clarify the current forum rules in this regard -- I don't want to be unfair to Ingineer.

Back