Mounting 120 V Level 1 EVSE inside car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBC

Hello, I didn't purchase the Level 2 240 V EVSE because my commuting distance doesn't justify it. I instead use the supplied little 120 V loose EVSE. I park outside and you could say it's been a bit of an irritation charging the car this way since I live in the Pacific Northwest and we've had rain most of this winter...

What I do is I use an extension cord plugged into a regular outdoor receptacle on the outside of the house and run it into the plastic bag that the EVSE came in, along with the EVSE itself. This provides some minimal rain protection. I then put this on top of a styrofoam box to keep it off the ground, then all goes underneath the front of the car. Then I have rigged up a tarp which goes over the front of the car, attached between a tree in front of the car and the two rear view mirrors, which protects the whole front of the car from the weather. I do this every time it rains.... And it rains a lot in Vancouver...

I have noticed that the wiring behind the 120 / 240 V EVSE charge port has a disconnect plug. Here is what it looks like.

What I'd like to do is simply disconnect this plug (there is also an additional black wire outside that would have to be dealt with) and then buy a new one which would connect to another J1772 receptacle I will buy. All of this, along with the EVSE as well, will be mounted inside under the hood hopefully somewhere if I can fit it. To the 120 V end of the EVSE I will attach an additional regular 12 gauge cable and NEMA 5 receptacle plug.

So the idea is that I could have my extension cord outside and all I'd have to do to charge the car is lift up the hood a bit, or the charge port, or something else yet to be determined, and bring it INSIDE the car and plug it in there. Then it would be fully protected from the rain. Additionally, the EVSE would not be subject to theft or damage lying outside on the ground in front of the car.

Does anyone know what this plug is in the photos and how to get one? And the J1772 plug as well?

Edit: I don't know why the images don't show up, here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27291695@N05/6936434516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27291695@N05/7082507517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You mean fixed inside the car? That's what I want to do. I still have to determine where is the best place to mount the brick. I just don't want to have to bring the J1772 plug back outside the car again like in your photos just to plug it into the charge port, when I could instead bypass the whole thing by going directly into the cable behind the charge port.

I wouldn't want the EVSE mounted fixed to the house because then I wouldn't have it when I go away anywhere.

I don't quite understand why this is outside of the car. Maybe because it is supposed to be plugged into the wall with a very short cord, I have read? Well mine works fine as is with about a 40 ft cord.

No, getting a separate evse fixed onto the house or parking area is what I believe is best.
Keep the Nissan unit in the rear hatch area for charging on the road.

The pictures I posted are just a temporary solution.

And BTW I have used up to 100' of extention cord just fine. #12 wire.

Back