Miles on fuel gauge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ispud

I take it these figures are of little to no value?? I seem to use them up twice as fast as I accumulate actual mileage. When I get down to 40ish it seems to reverse - not sure if it works out in the end as I never run the car lower than about 30 on this gauge. Thanks,

Jack

Officially called a “Distance To Empty” (DTE) meter, it’s laughable relationship to reality quickly earned it the community nickname of “Guess-O-Meter” (GOM). Last summer there was a software update that improved its accuracy, but in my experience, only below half a tank. However, it is unlikely that the community will ever trust it again.

If you’re looking for more detail and accuracy, check out Leaf Spy (free, lite, or pro) in the Google Play store for android devices.

ispud said:
I take it these figures are of little to no value?? I seem to use them up twice as fast as I accumulate actual mileage. When I get down to 40ish it seems to reverse - not sure if it works out in the end as I never run the car lower than about 30 on this gauge. Thanks,

Jack

My response will mirror the one above that was posted just before mine, but since I wrote it, I'll post it just for grins.

Correct. As you read more on this (and most other) discussion forums, you'll find these displays called GOM, for "guessometer". Most experienced LEAF drivers will tell you to just ignore it. As you say, for the LEAF, the GOM over estimates the driving range when the car is near full. I've found the 2013 GOM to be reasonably accurate from midrange down to about 25% state of charge.

I recommend that you reset one of the mi/kWh economy gauges after each charge, and get a feel for your own usual driving economy, and check out Tony Williams' range chart, available in this forum's wiki, and look into the LEAF Spy Android app if you are detail oriented.

Welcome, and enjoy your LEAF!

thanks - I was wondering what gom meant. I did see that a lot, but being a newbie had not a clue.

J

elm 327 searched on Amazon, turned up numerous different gadgets. Can some one tell me which one I need to work with Nissan Spy and my android phone (samsung s4).

Thanks

J

ispud said:

Jack

well ya know that your range on a new battery with zero degradation in mild summer weather@ 62 mph (is that enough caveats for ya? :) ) is "about" 84 miles

so take your GOM reading divided into 84 to get your "disbelief" quotient. use that figure and you should be pretty close.

so say your disbelief quotient is .8 and you need to go 50 miles and your GOM say 70. to determine if you will make it, divide your disbelief quotient by the miles you need to drive so it be 50/.8 = 62.5 which means you will make it (barring hills, headwind, cold weather, hot weather, rain, snow, sleet, bad traffic, low tire pressures, degradation, extra passengers, or Murphy's Law)

or

you can do what most of us did and that is ignore the GOM and get a battery monitoring app

ispud said:

Jack

If you have a 2013 SV or SL model (you can indicate this in your signature) you also have a state of charge (SOC) display available in your center display (use the page icon to get to it). This is much more useful than the GOM, as it functions like an actual fuel gauge.

Here's a thread on various hardware available http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12785

I personally just got the cheapest mini (smallest) on Ebay from China. Worked for me, but not all.

ispud said:
elm 327 searched on Amazon, turned up numerous different gadgets. Can some one tell me which one I need to work with Nissan Spy and my android phone (samsung s4).

Thanks

J

LeftieBiker said:
If you have a 2013 SV or SL model (you can indicate this in your signature) you also have a state of charge (SOC) display available in your center display (use the page icon to get to it). This is much more useful than the GOM, as it functions like an actual fuel gauge.
That's also available on the 2013 S model, though only on the dash as one of the Trip Computer displays. I haven't invested in any of the add-on gauges, so the SoC is what I use. It requires a bit of mental calculation to convert that to miles, but you have a big advantage over the dashboard computer which is trying to come up with a GOM number. It only knows how you've been driving in the past, and assumes you will keep driving the same way. You know where you are going, and how much you can adjust your driving so you can get there.

As Leftie suggests, please provide a signature that includes your year and model. It will make for much less head-scratching in the future as we try to analyze other posts you make.
Top right corner of this page: User Control Panel -> Profile -> Edit Signature

Ray

Back