Maybe we should stop using certain phrases on the forum

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derkraut

Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time reading some of the posts here; and it seems to be getting worse. Seems as though we could try to refrain from statements like this:

1. I read somewhere recently that------
2. I was told that------
3. I heard from someone that------
4. Everybody knows that------
5. People who drive ICE powered vehicles don't care about the environment
6. Always
7. Never

Feel free to expand. "Everybody knows that" statements like these are just conjecture, and don't really contribute to MNL. :)

derkraut said:
Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time reading some of the posts here; and it seems to be getting worse. Seems as though we could try to refrain from statements like this:

2. I was told that------
6. Always
7. Never

Feel free to expand. "Everybody knows that" statements like these are just conjecture, and don't really contribute to MNL. :)
I am not sure I fully understand your point. If someone reads an article, and want to share the information in said article, shouldn't they properly reference the source to consider the veracity of any of the assertions.

For that matter, in matters of safety, several instances of both "always" and "never" come right to mind.

"Everybody knows that" theories of knowledge, epistemology, have founding assumptions that may or may not be on a solid foundation. Some of my personal best learning scenarios have been with people who I don't agree with, but somehow move my point of view closer to theirs...

On the other hand, I too am tired of people asserting opinion as fact, and misunderstanding as knowledge, but that seems to be the nature of internet forums and wading through. Is that what you are getting at?

So please forgive my contrarian point, and I am all ears to try and understand...

Re: #1, I generally try to post the URL and ask that others do the same if they post something that raises eyebrows. For some myths/FUD, the sources are pretty obvious and not new to me.

derkraut said:

2. I was told that------
6. Always
7. Never
I was told that everybody knows that will never happen. ;)

I read somewhere recently that this is why forums have functionality like "add foe". I was told that it really cuts down on the stress levels of users that take advantage of it. I heard from someone that doesn't use it, and they just got out of a 6m involuntary stint in the looney bin. Everyone knows you don't want be driven there in a gas-powered ambulance owned by some city that doesn't care about the environment, always making the choices in support of big-oil and never doing the eco-friendly thing.

I am just sick and tired.

ITestStuff said:
I read somewhere recently that this is why forums have functionality like "add foe". I was told that it really cuts down on the stress levels of users that take advantage of it. I heard from someone that doesn't use it, and they just got out of a 6m involuntary stint in the looney bin. Everyone knows you don't want be driven there in a gas-powered ambulance owned by some city that doesn't care about the environment, always making the choices in support of big-oil and never doing the eco-friendly thing.

I am just sick and tired.

I love your response! You made my day. Seriously though.....I was lamenting about stating vague references or opinions, and presenting them as facts. :(

derkraut said:
2. I was told that------
6. Always
7. Never
8. Maybe we should...

;)

Stoaty said:
derkraut said:

2. I was told that------
6. Always
7. Never
I was told that everybody knows that will never happen. ;)

Stoaty, I always heard that from someone too, +1

ksnogas2112 said:
Stoaty, I always heard that from someone too, +1
I read somewhere recently that they said MNL was a waste of time. I was told that certain phrases should stop being used. I heard from someone that it would never happen. Everyone knows that is true. People who drive ICE powered vehicles don't care about the environment. Always! Never in my life did I think otherwise. Maybe we should reconsider?

Sorry derkraut - I happen to find this thread amusing. :)

Everybody knows that "I've read somewhere" always means "I remember reading about some topic but I don't remember the source, so it is likely that I never read it, or maybe it I just heard it from someone" It is so much better than "I read a peer reviewed study that states the following...... but I will withhold the source because I've signed a NDA (so I'll never disclose anything, beyond what I just disclosed) This is fun, but I need to get in my pickup truck and go back to the coal mine.

On a serious note, since virtually nobody here works for Nissan on the LEAF team, or has significant inside knowledge (that they can admit to, anyway), we either talk about "stuff we heard/read/thought we saw/etc...", or we stick to threads about paint colors or blocked EVSEs. Given a choice between nothing and rumors, I'll take some rumors.

Gee....I'm glad I started this whimsical thread. You guys have a great sense of humor. We need more of that. Now, I'm gonna go drive my Leaf. I really don't have any particular destination in mind; but it is so much fun to drive. And if my blushing bride of 55+ years behaves herself, I might even take her along. Since we "hardly ever" go more than 50 miles from home, we have no range anxiety to worry about. And, gas is really cheap. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

derkraut said:
apvbguy said:
derkraut said:
And, gas is really cheap. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

is it?
find out here
http://energy.gov/articles/egallon-what-it-and-why-it-s-important" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What I meant was: gas for the Leaf is really cheap----like free. :mrgreen:
if you are charging at a free station it is "free gas" however the chart found by following the link states a cost of "fuel"

Back