Max range in Qc

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ve2maa

Hi ..
My brand new leaf has been working well since I had it last wednesday

Therofore the outside temp is always around 14F and havent been able to drive more than 50miles with a full charge. And that WITHOUT usine A/C. ...(or only à little bit to unfog windows), normal driving, mix of small urbain streets and hway.

Is that normal? I knew I would make under the Famous 100 miles but didn't think it would go that low !!

ve2maa said:
Hi ..

Therofore the outside temp is always around 14F and havent been able to drive more than 50miles with a full charge. And that WITHOUT usine A/C. ...(or only à little bit to unfog windows), normal driving, mix of small urbain streets and hway.

Is that normal? I knew I would make under the Famous 100 miles but didn't think it would go that low !!

I was headed for 50 miles in the mid 20's before I tried a few things. for cold whether, the prewarming should be relied on heavily. It may seem energy consumptive but with an EV as compared to an ICE you are still way more efficient even with extensive preheating before each drive. have you tried charging to 80% the night before and using preheat for an hour+ to warm up the car and top off the battery (also warming the battery)? we have not hit the teens yet but in the mid 20"s I've been able to keep the MPkW's in the 4's and the range around 75 ish. I also turn mode to foot defot and the last thing I do is hit the on off button to make sure the CC is says climate "control off" on the screen, otherwise you can think you are only using the CC a little when in fact it's eating up electrons with the compressor cooling and drying and the heater reheating. You can definitely average better than the chart and be quite comfortable for a good chunk of your commute before having to use the heater. I believe the chart assumes a cold soaked battery, which if you have the cold whether package and use the prewarming, you'll end up with a warmer than ambient temperature. We can't tell what temperature the battery is, which is a bummer, because then maybe we'd have a target to shoot for.

I've even used preheating without being plugged in and it can be more energy efficient than running CC while driving, depending on distances.

If you try the above, let us know if it helps at your lower temps. You may have to charge to nearly 100% before preheating to top off as the heater will be drawing more current than here in this limp WA winter.

I'm very new to the car, but in 15 degree weather, range was not good. At the time, I wasn't using ECO mode, but I did not use CC at all. Now that I use ECO all the time and the weather has warmed up, range is up significantly.

I go from Bolton, Ont to just S.E. of the Toronto airport, 40 Km. Got the car Dec 5. I have not yet tried to do the round trip without
charging at work. A couple days when it was warmest, I "might" have made it, but it would have been close. You lose a lot to heating so I always preheat for 1/2 hour, which pumps the charge to about 90%. Any speed above 80 km really kills the range too.
There is something about the aerodymanics of most cars that kills the mileage above 50 MPH. The Leaf is no exception. You just see it
much more obviously.

ve2maa said:
Hi ..

On January 4, it was -15°C (5°F) when I left for work, and -10°C (14°F) when I came back.
On January 5, it was around -5°C (23°F) for both trips.

CARWINGS says I made 4.4 km/kWh on Jan. 4, and 4.8 km/kWh on Jan 5. (2.73 miles/kWh & 2.98 miles/kWh)

The car sleeps in my indoor garage, where the temp. is set at 15°C. (I think it was colder than that on January 4, because the only heater element I have there couldn't keep up with the cold seeping in.) I preheated on that day, before leaving for work; something I almost never do.
I also always preheat a couple of minutes before leaving work (when I'm unplugged), and again at the daycare, while I go get my kid. I would guess that would total to 8-10 minutes of unplugged climate control per day.

I can't say how far I could have gone on those days... My roundtrip is 11km (!), which is way too small to give me an indication of my max range.

But still, you could compare your km/kWh (per CARWINGS) for those days, and see if you get something similar or not.

Also per CARWINGS, my avg. energy economy was 7.3 km/kWh in Oct, 6.9 in Nov, 5.4 in Dec, and is now at 4.6 in Jan.

My car was BRAND NEW... I guess the estimation made by the car is influenced by a couple of previous ride/recharge. Since my 2 first ride were on cold weather, with the car sleeping outside, I guess that influenced the estimation ... Yesterday was a lot warmer (around 32). I made easily 60 mi.
So today, my full charge range estimation is higher than it was yesterday (the car now has a higher value to add to the everage !)

My other assumptions are about the front lights... The previous rides were at night with lights on. Yesterday's was at daylight. That should have helped.

It's clear that the outside temp has a tremendous impact on the car , here at least where winter temp is an everage of 14F and often as low as -13F.

Back