Low mileage charging schemes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marksp

I'm currently averaging less than 150 miles/wk, and many of my trips are less than 10 miles round trip from and to home. I have my Blink setup to charge on connect and have the LEAF charge timer set to the 80% mode. My question is, should I forgo plugging my car in every time I return home and instead plug in every other or potentially, every 3rd day to decrease charge cycles?

Thanks

I'm in a similar boat, and I either skip charging or only replace what I spent each day. My SOC is usually somewhat below 50%, since I rarely need extra range on weekdays. I charge to full on weekends.

With lithium-ion batteries, not all charge cycles are equal; shallower cycles are optimal when feasible. For instance, I think it is safe to say that two cycles between 30% and 60% will put less wear on the battery than one cycle between 20% and 80%. And it is also better if the time-averaged SOC is in the middle of the range, not too close to 80%. My guess is that the effects of different charging schemes won't become noticeable for years, though.

Lately we haven't been using the charging timers, and have been trying to manually stop charging at seven or eight bars for day-to-day driving. Of course, we have another reason for doing that, as we live on a mountain and need to leave plenty of room for regenerative braking. Once there is a way to customize the target charge amount to values other than 80% or 100%, we'll be all over it.

abasile said:
Once there is a way to customize the target charge amount to values other than 80% or 100%, we'll be all over it.
Petty amazing that software feature is lacking. I have the modified EVSE that I use for home charging, and realize that in 120V mode, as a crude soluion: I could just estimate the needed end charge using time and maybe use an inexpensive inline timed switch (and forgo the dryer plug)? Really like this car, but some things leave me to wonder...

abasile said:
...Lately we haven't been using the charging timers, and have been trying to manually stop charging at seven or eight bars for day-to-day driving. ... Once there is a way to customize the target charge amount to values other than 80% or 100%, we'll be all over it.
Have you tried setting the timer with just an end time? You could set it for an hour or two after the time you expect to leave (or at least get up) and hopefully catch the car at the right charge level.

davewill said:
Have you tried setting the timer with just an end time? You could set it for an hour or two after the time you expect to leave (or at least get up) and hopefully catch the car at the right charge level.
He will have to push it back more than that. I've been charging with just an end time for more than a month, and getting the "charging stopped" emails at 80%. They arrive somewhere between 1½ and 2½ hours before the end time I have set.

Ray

davewill said:
abasile said:
...Lately we haven't been using the charging timers, and have been trying to manually stop charging at seven or eight bars for day-to-day driving. ... Once there is a way to customize the target charge amount to values other than 80% or 100%, we'll be all over it.
That's not a bad idea. The only problem is, the car sometimes overestimates the amount of time needed to charge, particularly after driving in cooler temperatures such as we have here for much of the year. Still, I think I'll try that! I'll set the timer to end with 80% at, say, 8 AM or 9 AM and I'll unplug it at 6:30 AM.

Back