Louisiana Tax Credits

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjm2020

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a new 2015 Nissan Leaf SV in Louisiana earlier this year. I'm currently preparing to get my taxes situated for the year.

Louisiana offers an Alternative Vehicle Tax Credit.

According to the Louisiana Dept of Revenue the credit can be calculated by either of the following methods:

1. 7.2% of the cost of the vehicle up to $1500.00.
2. 36 percent (it used to be 50 percent) for the incremental cost associated with buying an alternative fuel vehicle, but it's specifically for the "alternative fuel property" in the car, not the price of the car itself.

They further define this as the cost of that portion of the motor vehicle which is attributable to any of the following:

1. The storage of the alternative fuel;
2. The delivery of the alternative fuel to the engine of the motor vehicle; and,
3. The exhaust of gases from combustion of the alternative fuel (probably does not apply)

According to some tesla forums, the Louisiana Dept of Revenue determined the Tesla alternative fuel system to be priced at $320 per kwh. For their 60 kWh model S, this rebate would be $6912 (well above the max $1500.00 with the 7.2% calculation).

I have been unable to locate any specific pricing information on the nissan leaf's system.

My question is, has anyone been able to successfully use the 36% rule in calculating the credit?
If so, what resources did you use to determine the value of the alternative fuel system?

Back