Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to get a charge from Hollywood Toyota last week, seeing how they made a big fuzz about "Open Access" and embracing the future during the ribbon cutting ceremony. Looks like it was all for publicity stunt as the charger seems to be deactivated, along with a small padlock on the J1772 connector. The salesmen there were shocked a Leaf pull up, but after a jabs of it not being a Toyota, they tried to help me find a key or someone who knows more about it. Though nobody seems to know anything about the charger, and I have planned for the worse so I was still able to leave and head home afterward.

Still, it's pretty sad the clipper creek EVSE was collecting dust and is only there for show.

I have had my Leaf since the beginning of May. Except for a few moments at the dealership, I have not seen another Leaf.
While I would love to have a going network of chargers that would extend my range, the market has to grow into it.

There is also the inherent slowness in getting commercial enterprises to go ahead with installs.
I am working with my employer to install commercial chargers. We have met with AV and Blink. Both were interesting presentations.
We have been working on this since January and, as with any large organization, it just doesn't happen overnight. You have to discuss, you have to create a working group and set up meetings.
I expect we are some two months off from actually having them, perhaps more, though we have ideal install places with readily available power and a willing facilities manager and NO ONE has yet to say: dont do it.
Blink rep told us that they installed the first commercial charger in the San Fernando Valley last week.

I don't blame EcoTality for the slowness. It takes a long time for businesses to say "go ahead."
Besides, with fewer than 500 Leafs in the SoCal area, the demand is to install residential chargers.

Friday, I had my first ground fault interrupt that prevented my car from charging overnight (need to check my text message settings). It just so happened after I ran the car down enough to get the low battery message for the first time too. Fortunately, I was able to charge enough to get to where I had to go (grad school graduation at USC!), but knew I would be cutting it close for the return trip. I accessed my chargepoint app and just happened to see a charger I hadn't seen before at the CA Science Center.

As I pulled up to the charger I saw a bunch of EVs there. My first thought was, "oh no, I'm going to have to compete with all these guys for one charger!". However, as I pulled up and plugged in, a couple of gentlemen came by and informed me they had just finished a press conference unveiling the new station 20 minutes earlier (and 3 others spread across the lot) and I was the first one to use it. Also, the provisioning had just been done that day, explaining why I saw it on the chargepoint app.

Then, on Saturday night, I charged at the Santa Monica parking garage on Broadway and another Leaf pulled up 30 seconds later to charge as well.

These encouraging stories just go to show the progress we're making as the vehicles hit the mainstream!

Tim

You are welcome to attend our "SoCal LEAF Gatherings", the next being Saturday morning, May 28th, at HTB on 17th just East of I-5 in Santa Ana.
(see the first post of our thread for more details)

Our last meeting (May 14th) at Cerritos Nissan had over 30 people show up.

With some interest, I might try to schedule/start a Branch Gathering further North, and/or further East. I figure that one good location will serve an area of about 35 miles "radius" (driving distance).

Hometown Buffet locations (some are better than others) usually have sufficient parking, a good selection of breakfast foods, sufficient flexible seating, and inexpensive breakfast prices. So, they are often a good (enough) place to start.

With some interest, I might try to schedule/start a Branch Gathering further North, and/or further East. I figure that one good location will serve an area of about 35 miles "radius" (driving distance).

Hi Gary,
I would for sure be interested in a meet up in the LA metro area. There is a HTB at this location near LAX in Westchester.
8629 South Sepulveda Boulevard
Westchester, CA 90045
(310) 216-9208 This one is very accessible from 405 freeway.

This one below might be a better choice so that the folks in the Valleys (SF and SG) could access as well as those of us more on the westside or central city.

1850 W Empire Ave
Burbank, CA 91504
(818) 955-5797

Either one would work for me.

Kat

Kataphn said:

Hi Gary,
I would for sure be interested in a meet up in the LA metro area. There is a HTB at this location near LAX in Westchester.
8629 South Sepulveda Boulevard
Westchester, CA 90045
(310) 216-9208 This one is very accessible from 405 freeway.

This one below might be a better choice so that the folks in the Valleys (SF and SG) could access as well as those of us more on the westside or central city.

1850 W Empire Ave
Burbank, CA 91504
(818) 955-5797

Either one would work for me.

Kat

My husband, David, and I would love to have one at the Burbank location, but would drive to the S. Sepulveda if not. Santa Ana is too far away. We're receiving our Leaf end of June.

Thank you,
Stephanie

Bobs Big Boy in Burbank already has a classic car night on Fridays. Why not an electric car Saturday mornings?

Located at 4211 W Riverside Dr. Burbank, CA 91505 (818) 843-9334

Another option for OC could be the new Orange Farmers Market on Saturdays in the City of Orange. Combining the sustainability of our Leafs with the sustainability of fresh local produce. Its been a huge success so far, plus Stadium Nissan is just up the street too if people needed to charge.

I am usually volunteering here, so its one of the reasons I dont tend to make it to the meet ups. My Leaf is a "week of May 30" and I can't wait to show it off at the market. (although it would be ironic of me to drive there, since I usually walk to it)

www.orangehomegrown.com

How about we meet up at the Encounter restaurant at LAX? There are 2 J1772 chargers at Parking Lot #1, and everyone can park for free in their Leafs.

garygid said:
You are welcome to attend our "SoCal LEAF Gatherings", the next being Saturday morning, May 28th, at HTB on 17th just East of I-5 in Santa Ana.
(see the first post of our thread for more details)

Our last meeting (May 14th) at Cerritos Nissan had over 30 people show up.

Hometown Buffet locations (some are better than others) usually have sufficient parking, a good selection of breakfast foods, sufficient flexible seating, and inexpensive breakfast prices. So, they are often a good (enough) place to start.

Up North in the San Francisco Bay Area, our members so far span about 85 miles North-to-South. The group voted not to have sub-regions, but rather to rotate venues so everyone can drive their LEAF to about half the gatherings. We'll see how that works as we're having just our 4th gathering on June 4th.

How about a Beach Cities meet up? Santa Anna is like another country to us beach dwellers!

I am in North Tustin. We just acquired our Salsa SL Leaf on Saturday from Fontana Nissan. Great dealership. Really pleased with how we were treated. So hello to everyone.
Manny

Anyone else in Long Beach? My daughter saw another blue LEAF on PCH recently. If there are more than a handful of us then it might be beneficial to start a club/advocacy group and lobby for some public charge stations or parking privileges here in town. :cool:

Unfortunately, until there is one closer to me or L2 charging is available where we meet, I'm going to have to sit them all out due to the distance...

mogur said:
Unfortunately, until there is one closer to me or L2 charging is available where we meet, I'm going to have to sit them all out due to the distance...

We could have a Balboa Park meet up!

mogur said:

The meetings in Cerritos are at Cerritos Nissan, which has at least 3 Level 2 charging stations available during the 2 to 3 hour meetings (and later of course, if you want to stay around afterwards to add kWh). We give priority at the charging stations to those who need to charge, over those who just want to charge.

mogur said:

Don't worry, DC fast chargers are coming 'soon'. :mrgreen:

Back