Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 questions related to the DWP info if anyone knows:
1. Does the 500 kWh block of energy discount apply just to electricity used during off peak periods?
2. Is the 500 kWh block of energy discount given monthly or per billing period, every 2 months?

Thanks to anyone who knows and if you can post the DWP link with the most up to date info, that would be helpful.
We are not going with separate TOU meter either. Too expense to install, not enough ROI.

provided we did not use power between noon at 5pm on weekdays

just be aware that if you have an air conditioner, those times would be peak times for it to be running (which is why the utilities peak hours are at that time). Climate control accounts for an amazing amount of the power consumed....

-Matt

Kataphn said:
2 questions related to the DWP info if anyone knows:
1. Does the 500 kWh block of energy discount apply just to electricity used during off peak periods?
2. Is the 500 kWh block of energy discount given monthly or per billing period, every 2 months?

I believe:
  • Block applies only to off peak periods.
    Block is monthly

Lopton said:

just be aware that if you have an air conditioner, those times would be peak times for it to be running (which is why the utilities peak hours are at that time). Climate control accounts for an amazing amount of the power consumed....

-Matt

IMO, the best way to get around running the A/C at peak times is to 'pre-cool' your home in the morning hours and then have it come on again at 5 PM if needed. It works really well here in AZ.

LEAFfan said:
Lopton said:

-Matt

IMO, the best way to get around running the A/C at peak times is to 'pre-cool' your home in the morning hours and then have it come on again at 5 PM if needed. It works really well here in AZ.

That's what (at least) one Vegas hotel is doing ... Freezing HUGE amounts of water/ice during low use/night time rates, then actually cooling the hotel with the massive ice berg during the day.
:shock:

just wanted to let you guys know that these chargers are up, at the Toyota of Hollywood and Santa Monica dealerships. I was actually at the Santa Monica dealership on Sat. to bring my Matrix in and saw where the charger is (ironic that I will continue to visit this dealership after I get my Leaf). Sorry I don't have an iPhone otherwise I would've taken a picture. It's in the lot that's directly north of the servicing area, right off Lincoln at the west end of the lot. I talked to the manager there and he said that they don't really have any rules on using it since no one has yet to use it. But he said, "but it'll only take an hour to charge your car from empy to full." oh how I wish that were true (it's a level 2 charger). They chain off the dealership at night but it looks like you can still pull up into the driveway in front of the chain and access the EVSE.

http://www.plugincars.com/la-car-dealer-sets-free-community-ev-charging-106429.html

yeah it was the manager of the Toyota servicing dept. or something. I gave him a pass. Although, in the video on the link I posted, LACarGuy Mike Sullivan says the same thing. Is that the case for Volts/Teslas or plug-in Priuses?

malloryk said:
just wanted to let you guys know that these chargers are up, at the Toyota of Hollywood and Santa Monica dealerships. I was actually at the Santa Monica dealership on Sat. to bring my Matrix in and saw where the charger is (ironic that I will continue to visit this dealership after I get my Leaf). Sorry I don't have an iPhone otherwise I would've taken a picture. It's in the lot that's directly north of the servicing area, right off Lincoln at the west end of the lot. I talked to the manager there and he said that they don't really have any rules on using it since no one has yet to use it. But he said, "but it'll only take an hour to charge your car from empy to full." oh how I wish that were true (it's a level 2 charger). They chain off the dealership at night but it looks like you can still pull up into the driveway in front of the chain and access the EVSE.

http://www.plugincars.com/la-car-dealer-sets-free-community-ev-charging-106429.html

Yes but that could be true if he's talking about charging the plugin PRIUS from empty to full. It has a much smaller pack.

Here's info I received from the LADWP re: block energy purchases:

Thank you for your email. I apologize for the delayed response. Please see the information below regarding the charger installation and the off-peak charging discount. It sounds like you may have been contact by ECOtality regarding The EV Project. We will be working closely with them to make sure the installations happen smoothly. Please keep us posted as you are notified of your delivery schedule by Nissan.

Thanks,
Adrene Briones
Electric Vehicle Program
Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
[email protected]

RESIDENTIAL CHARGER INSTALLATION
LADWP has partnered with other City Departments to streamline the process of providing electric service for residential home chargers. For basic installations, the process will be completed within 7 days.

To have LADWP perform a preliminary check for potential installation issues for your charger installation, please call the number for your geographic area with the following information:

· Whether or not you have a reservation for a vehicle and which make/model
· The capacity of your electric service panel in amps
· Panel location in relation to your garage or parking area

In the San Fernando Valley :
W. of the 405 FWY and N. of Mulholland Dr., call (818) 771-4132
E. of the 405 FWY and N. of Mulholland Dr., call (818) 771-4007

In Metro LA:
S. of Mulholland Dr., W. of Vermont Ave. and the 110 FWY, call (213) 367-6217
E. of Vermont Ave. and the 110 FWY, including Wilmington and San Pedro, call (213) 367-6017

ELECTRIC VEHICLE OFF-PEAK CHARGING DISCOUNT RATE
LADWP encourages charging of EVs during off-peak, nighttime hours and on weekends. This not only reduces strain on the grid but also maximizes the use of clean, green, wind energy, which is abundant at night. LADWP offers an off-peak charging discount of 2.5 ¢/kWh off of our base time-of-use (TOU) rate. If you’re currently on our Standard rate (as most customers are), your rate goes up as you use more energy. If you choose one of our TOU rates, you will pay higher rates during the day and lower rates at night with an additional discount for EV charging at night. The basic Standard and TOU rates are as follows:

R-1: Rate A - Standard Service

Zone 1* (kWh)
Tier 1 < 350
350 <Tier 2 < 1050
Tier 3 > 1050

High Season (June-Sep)
13.2 ¢/kWh
14.7 ¢/kWh
18.1 ¢/kWh

Low Season (Oct-May)
13.2 ¢/kWh

Zone 2* (kWh)
Tier 1< 500
500 <Tier 2 < 1500
Tier 3 > 1500

High Season (June-Sep)
13.2 ¢/kWh
14.7 ¢/kWh
18.1 ¢/kWh

Low Season (Oct-May)
13.2 ¢/kWh

R-1: Rate B - Time-of-Use Service
High Season (June-Sep)
10.8 ¢/kWh
14.3 ¢/kWh
22.2 ¢/kWh
14.3 ¢/kWh
10.8 ¢/kWh

Low Season (Oct-May)
12.7 ¢/kWh

TIME-OF-USE RATE OPTIONS:

Option 1: Electric Vehicle Time-of-Use – Keep your house on the Standard rate and install a separate service for your EV to be on a TOU rate with the discount on off-peak charging (weekdays, 8 pm to 10 am, and all day on weekends). Option 1 requires a qualified electrician to install a second service at your house to exclusively serve the EV charger. You’ll want to consult your electrician to see if the upfront cost is justified based on your expected energy usage and discount. All charging during the off-peak period would have the 2.5 cent discount applied for an average rate of 9.5 ¢/kWh. Please note that Solar customers with net metering must use Option 1 in order to take advantage of the EV discount.

Option 2: Residential Time-of-Use and Electric Vehicle Discount – Move your whole house to a TOU rate and receive a block of energy at a discount during off-peak periods. Option 2 requires a TOU meter change by LADWP. This rate is best for customers who use most of their energy at night, during off-peak hours, when the rate is lower. Through this rate, you are given a block of energy at the 2.5 cent/kWh discount. Currently, the block is 500 kilowatt-hours (kWh)+.

A service fee of $8/month applies to both options.
* Zones are defined by zip code on www.ladwp.com. Generally, Zone 1 applies in non-Valley areas and Zone 2 in the Valley.
+ Subject to change

I've been emailing all the grocery stores in my area the last couple of days, requesting that they install charging stations. So far Albertsons has been all over it! I just got off the phone with this guy who's working on plotting out all the locations they're planning to install at. He said they'll start to come online starting in Jan. He was very nice but I'm not sure if he's all that knowledgable. He asked me what car I was getting and when I said the Leaf, he said "What??" haha :lol: And then he said that they're installing the "fast chargers" that will fill up in 20 min. I'm skeptical of that, I think he meant Level 2 which I think does charge up a plug-in Prius a lot faster than the Leaf. But regardless, it's nice to hear. It's all coming together people!

Hi all you LA area folks,
Whoever gets a LEAF soon, can you post here? Maybe we can come see it! I don't think I will see mine till Feb.
And any EV project folks, if you are getting your install, can you let us know? I am EV project but no news yet.

I would also like others to post here with info (not so I can come see the car, but so I can get a feel for who's getting what in the area!). I am a 4/20 reservation, 8/31 order, EV Project participant. January 2011 delivery date at the moment. No installation scheduled yet from ecotality.

Suggestion:
If you all add an approximate location to your "profile", and the order-status type, Power Provider, etc. info to your "signature" (see mine below), then it is easier to answer your questions, and find others with situations similar to your own.

Even though I haven't received the go-ahead to order my Leaf, I called Gardena Nissan and asked for a quote. They replied with an offer for $1000 off MSRP. Guess I know with whom I will be working!

Is my math right here? LADWP off-peak electric rate = 2.5c / kw. Leaf Battery = 24 kw. That equals just 60 cents per charge, giving you 100 miles of driving range? :eek: :D

WWBD said:
Is my math right here? LADWP off-peak electric rate = 2.5c / kw. Leaf Battery = 24 kw. That equals just 60 cents per charge, giving you 100 miles of driving range? :eek: :D

Would that it were true! That is the discount off of the base rate when you have your EVSE on a separate TOU meter. Then you get a 2.5 cents per kWh off of the base rate (nighttime and weekend use), assuming you limit your charging to that time period. I think it works out to about 8 cent per kWh for charging if you go that route. So a full charge would be 8 x 24 or about $1.92. :D Still a good deal. If we get 85 miles in real world driving out of a full charge then $1.92 for 85 miles. Not too shabby!

I am holding my breath on my February delivery, waiting for a bunch of you folks to get yours. Here's my now publicly-stated hope that as you folks start driving the freeways of Los Angeles, you'll start posting your range at real highway speeds (ie 80mph on the 134/210, say.)

Back