Longest Range Pontifications

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
I got 7.1 at 25 mph, so that's already 149.1 miles range at 21 kWh useful battery capacity.
Nice report, enjoyed reading it. You were about 10% better than me at the same speed and by the looks out it, were carrying more cargo too! If you told me that 7 MPK were possible two weeks ago, I would have laughed ;-)

Just got in from doing a 15 mile loop (.3m), between 15-17 mph (15 ave.) with no stops, ECO mode, no A/C, 103 on the GOM with an 80% charge, 98 degrees, no wind, relatively flat. I wish someone could 'hack' the Cruise so it will work at lower speeds...my knee just about killed me holding it at 15. I would have gone longer because I noticed the longer I drove, the higher the m/kW h. I don't have a smart phone so can't post the pics from my cheap cell, but ended it with 100 on the GOM. At about 5 miles, I noticed the GOM went to 111. Here are the stats:
9.1 on the console which X 17 = 154.7.
Lost the first bar (third) at 5 m. and second at 7 m.
I believe I could have gotten 160 miles if I would have kept driving. :mrgreen:
Think what I could have gotten at 100% charge! 191 miles!!
So now Tony can add lower mph to his chart which will be VERY helpful for someone running low on power.

TonyWilliams said:
My son was scouting around Phoenix for some of the auto proving grounds. The GM one near him was locked up tight, and I don't know that they rent it out. I think the one they used in in the northwest corner or Arizona, either Ford or Chrysler. Easy to find on Google Earth. It wouldn't be that big of a deal to go there, and rent a LEAF for testing !!!

Tony, you won't have to rent a LEAF. I would be happy to drive mine for you. I'm not working right now, so just let me know.

So has someome broke the 150 mile barrier yet ? I think the (N)neutral and (C)coasting will be needed to do it..

TonyWilliams said:
mark13 said:
So has someome broke the 150 mile barrier yet ? I think the (N)neutral and (C)coasting will be needed to do it..

When I figured out that the longest range speed was below 15 mph, I lost interest in sitting that long !!!

Yes it would be 12-13 hours would it not ??

edatoakrun said:
What is the longest range anyone has gotten between charges so far?

What variation do you get, between the dash and center console m/kWh reports, and which seems to be more accurate?

The longest is Edmunds at 132 miles at 35 mph on a track.

The longest I've gone is 94.1 miles on a single charge at 4.8 miles per kWh showing on the dash. The center console is typically 0.1 higher. I don't know if either are super accurate, but for range estimates, I use the dash numbers (i.e., 4.8 * 21 = 100 mile range on a full charge).

With the service bulletin (NSB11-041) update, I believe CarWings will now show the center console numbers. The dash economy gauge will not go above 8 miles/kWh, but the center console one will.

daggad said:
TonyWilliams said:
mark13 said:

When I figured out that the longest range speed was below 15 mph, I lost interest in sitting that long !!!

Yes it would be 12-13 hours would it not ??

Well, 10 hours at 15mph is 150 miles. I can't imagine that it can go much over that, but I'm sure somebody will eventually do it. Just not probably me!

TonyWilliams said:
edatoakrun said:
What is the longest range anyone has gotten between charges so far?

What variation do you get, between the dash and center console m/kWh reports, and which seems to be more accurate?

The longest is Edmunds at 132 miles at 35 mph on a track.

The longest I've gone is 94.1 miles on a single charge at 4.8 miles per kWh showing on the dash. The center console is typically 0.1 higher. I don't know if either are super accurate, but for range estimates, I use the dash numbers (i.e., 4.8 * 21 = 100 mile range on a full charge).

With the service bulletin (NSB11-041) update, I believe CarWings will now show the center console numbers. The dash economy gauge will not go above 8 miles/kWh, but the center console one will.
Carwings (post NSB11-041 update) shows "miles driven" each day about 2.5% less than actual, but I haven't seen posts from others, reporting the same CW error in their LEAFs

This could correspond to an error in the 4.3 m/kwh shown on my dash since delivery, and indicate the center console, 4.4 m/kWh, is (more) accurate. That's why I was wondering if the ratio of dash/console kWh readings is a constant at other (higher) m/kWh.

I did 104 miles over a period of 14 hours and about a dozen trips over a day. I did drive around for anbout 30 mins to extend t he charge but got tired ofit and ended up stoping right after by he first l low BA tt warning.

I think I went about 5+ 6miles after

TonyWilliams said:

Below 15mph, you may get the longest range, but that isn't the speed you need to go to break the 150 mile barrier. At 15mph I had 9.1m/kW h on the console so even at 9.0 on the dash (only goes to 8), that would be well over 150 miles (190). You only need 7.2 on the dash to get 150 miles. Going 38mph most of the way on city streets, coasting, regen, etc., I was able to get 7.1 on the dash. So probably 35mph with 'N', regen, and good traffic light timing would make it to 150 miles or more.

I did in the 130s last spring ..I started out with a 148 mile charge estimate on the dash that I took a pic of and put on my flicker page..

I did the 130+ over a 3 day period tho..

Im not sure when Ill try for the 150 miles on a charge,where Ill try neatral and better coasting..I need 3 days where no one touches the car and I need go to work late at night when the traffic is light and the timing with traffic lights is perfect..

Most traffic lights now have electric eyes and 20-30 seconds counters for the crosswalk..I watch that very carefully..

Back