Long Vacation - Advisable to be plugged in all the while?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QB likes to follow me around the forum and contradict me, regardless of how accurate it's data is. No idea why, so I filter it. Anyway, your BT Jr. is fine for maintaining charge when not plugged in, but a 2 amp maintainer is better. I've used both. Someone posted that when plugged in but not charging, the EVSE connection can draw as much as 2 amps, intermittently. So your BT Jr. is working, but not always keeping up.

LeftieBiker said:
QB likes to follow me around the forum and contradict me, regardless of how accurate it's data is. No idea why, so I filter it. Anyway, your BT Jr. is fine for maintaining charge when not plugged in, but a 2 amp maintainer is better. I've used both. Someone posted that when plugged in but not charging, the EVSE connection can draw as much as 2 amps, intermittently. So your BT Jr. is working, but not always keeping up.

Here is Ingineer recommending the CTEK .8 amp charger:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12923&start=10#p298845" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are his standby 12 volt draw testing results: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8588&p=191511#p191511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are welcome to decide on your own whose advice you want to listen to but I'll stick to listening to what Ingineer has to say...

philipscoggins said:
What about if the car is parked outside & the spoiler is exposed to some sunlight during the day?

Isn't that what the spoiler solar cells do? Trickle charge the 12 volt?

Philip

Exactly.
And that's what I did previously for I was away overseas for 6 weeks. Charged the vehicles to 80%, drove them around and let it down a bar or so. Parked both Leafs outside on the drive way. (I didn't un-hook the battery)

Upon returning, the cars were fine with only a couple of bars lost/discharged due to leaving them unattended.

Back