Lighting for charge cover

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone confirm that the LED lights do not come on under the charging hatch every time you hit a bump while driving? I realize that motion is sensed by a PIR sensor, but having them shaken must cause them to trigger ON, right??

No, since there is nothing warmer moving through the plane of the IR sensor, it would not come on.

Rauv said:
Can anyone confirm that the LED lights do not come on under the charging hatch every time you hit a bump while driving? I realize that motion is sensed by a PIR sensor, but having them shaken must cause them to trigger ON, right??

With so many new LEAF owners in recent months I wanted to mention that the Sylvania LED motion sensor light is still available in limited numbers through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Linear-Motion-Sensor-Light-White/dp/B004R8AFVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330266692&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like many others here I use one magnetically stuck to my charge hatch cover, to light up the charge port in my dark garage, and it works well.

The 2013 model LEAF has a charge hatch light but this is a solution for those of us with 2011 and 2012 models.

I just ordered one of the lights from Amazon. I was a little hesitant because the shipping was $6.99, but it sounds like it's worth it. Thanks for the idea!

I don't know if this light will work, but it seems to have reasonably good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Hipe-Automatic-Motion-sensing-Directional-Night/dp/B0088PRK2U/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
I was at Lowe's today and found a great light for attaching in the charge cover. It is a LED motion sensor light that attaches magnetically. I put mine right about where the Nissan badge is under the charge hood. The light is powered by 3 AA batteries. It turns off after 60 seconds (or you can set it for 12 secs). The LED's can be tilted to focus light right where you need it. And the magnet is one of those strong types that means the light won't be bouncing around and falling off in there. No problem opening/closing the charge hood.

Here is the Lowes link to it: http://bit.ly/gJ4bFs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Linear-Motion...AFVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330266692&sr=8-1

I tested it out tonight and it works wonderfully and best of all - it's only $13 and it solves the whole lack of light thing when I pull into my dimly lit garage (I only have the garage door opener light).

Here is a picture of it

046135722455xl.jpg

I got one of these from Amazon about 6 months ago and it works perfectly. Turns on when I pop the hatch to charge, then turns off automatically a couple minutes later. Then when I walk up to disconnect the charger, it comes back on so I can see. An excellent solution for a reasonable price.

vrwl said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Here is a picture of it

046135722455xl.jpg

I got one of these from Amazon about 6 months ago and it works perfectly. Turns on when I pop the hatch to charge, then turns off automatically a couple minutes later. Then when I walk up to disconnect the charger, it comes back on so I can see. An excellent solution for a reasonable price.

commenter says it goes through the batteries every three months for the LEAF usage.
that is too much for me. (not the cost; it's the waste and the inconvenience.)
i will keep looking.

light would be nice but plugging in is easy using my left hand to guide it.

I must not have similar conditions to most of ya'll because i never have a problem seeing in the charge cover. I also recently took to leaving the lights in Auto mode (12 leaf, not sure if 11 has that) and that leaves the headlights on for a while after you get out of the car. It provides plenty of light via reflection.

The 11 has it too. you can also use the motion sensitive light that some of us have installed as referenced elsewhere on here.

sling said:
I must not have similar conditions to most of ya'll because i never have a problem seeing in the charge cover. I also recently took to leaving the lights in Auto mode (12 leaf, not sure if 11 has that) and that leaves the headlights on for a while after you get out of the car. It provides plenty of light via reflection.

thankyouOB said:
commenter says it goes through the batteries every three months for the LEAF usage.
that is too much for me. (not the cost; it's the waste and the inconvenience.)
i will keep looking.

light would be nice but plugging in is easy using my left hand to guide it.

I've had it for 6 months and haven't replaced any batteries in it yet.

Back when I first got my LEAF I stuck a dollar store LED light, one that looks like a hockey puck with three LEDs, onto the bottom of the charge port opening. It has worked great ever since and only cost me a buck. ;)

sling said:

I cked out the auto mode today for the headlights. it is a perfect solution. lights up the area for 45 seconds after you lockup the door.
i dont mind that it puts the ligths on when it rains (assuming wipers are going) and when it is dark (there is a sensor on the dash).

perfect.
been doing this since the suggestion.
never fails.

one of the cool-type tips you can only get at MNL.com

who needs a charge-cover light! :cool:

Got a round one with 3 white LEDs that runs on 3 AAA batts for $1 at Dollar Tree. Batts were 8 for $1. Mine just has a sticker mountonly, but it was $1. Press on/off. Mounted in same spot.

Just bought myself one of these ($5 bucks on ebay):

$_12.JPG

It says it takes a couple of AAA batteries and has a USB port for power. I hope the USB port can charge the AAA's.

Should do the trick for lighting the port though.

kovalb said:
Back when I first got my LEAF I stuck a dollar store LED light, one that looks like a hockey puck with three LEDs, onto the bottom of the charge port opening. It has worked great ever since and only cost me a buck. ;)
+1 I did the same thing----over 2 years ago. Works like a charm, and I haven't had to replace the batteries yet.

Back